Help with video codecs!

kallejosef

Hey.

I download alot of movies from the internet.. mostly HD stuff ( .MKV ) files 720p or 1080p.

I've always used VLC media player. But now I have read around online and most people believe that VLC is not good for HD material. They say that it is best to use media player classic with different codecs. Therefore, I started to wonder. is this true? Can i get better quality and less chopping with a different media player with codecs. If this is true. Which media player should I use and what codec?

As I said. I download HD-stuff ( .MKV file format )

:pirate: ohoi

• Replies 23
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the answer is True

MP-HC can support DXVA which would make it preferable while using HD files

it's more advanced to use HC

for the codecs i guess , using CoreAVC + K-lite (HC included ) Would make it just fine to view HD content at high race

I also use MPC. I got it together with K-lite MEGA Codec Pack. ;)

CoreAVC isnt free... :( where can I find it?

chrisgestapo

I use the built-in decoder in MPC-HC for hardware acceleration, but the picture quality may not be as good as that of CoreAVC (I don't know), and it can't play some videos.

It seems that there is a DXVA version of ffdshow.

The H.264 decoder of PowerDVD 9 Deluxe (only the early versions) can be used by other players.

I use K-Lite Full.. thats all I ever need MPC is included.. plus just about any codec you will need.. UNLESS.. you are running Winamp, at which point you need to install an Intel Indeo Codec for a certain kind of AVI files used in AVS.. Windows 7 nor K-Lite will be able to use the files or run the Visualization Studio as intended..

But yeah Corel WinDVD used to be my first choice, then MPC.. or WMP..

coreAVC 2.0 + Serial

site : www.mediafire.com

sharecode : /?myw2mammk3z

Thanks bashar... really appreciate it.. :)

I use MPC-HC, the built-in decoder use DXVA for hardware acceleration (if your video card support it)

The video quality its managed by the video card (denoise, sharpen and color management).

I put the color of the Ati Catalyst in "VIVID", denoise in %30 and NO sharpen.

You can use the internal "shaders (its like video filters in MPC)" to get beeter colors, denoise, sharpen and chroma upsampling.

CoreAVC can decode the video in software mode or in DXVA.

I hate my poor english. :(

the answer is True

MP-HC can support DXVA which would make it preferable while using HD files

it's more advanced to use HC

for the codecs i guess , using CoreAVC + K-lite (HC included ) Would make it just fine to view HD content at high race

Yea, I support using CoreAVC, it is certainly the best H.264 decoder around. Only downfall is I believe it is only made for nvidia video cards with cuda acceleration. Ati is supposed to be capable of using it somehow but I'm not entirely sure. ATi has their own H.264 hardware accelerated decoder of course so I believe in that case K-Lite would work fine once you configure it properly. Just a tip you don't need the K-Lite mega pack, standard pack is file. The mega pack has lots of codecs meant for encoding which most people don't use, it also packs alot of decoders for formats that are not so commonly used either. Most high quality release groups stick with something xvid compatible or mkv container format using AVC.

I have a quite powerfull ATI video card, and I have downloaded K-lite mega pack. I'm not used to codecs and stuff so i dont know how to configure things.... Do i need to? It works out just fine now... and I havent configured anything.

Another question.

Is the quality better with K-lite codecs and MPC-HC than VLC media player.

Because my Pc is quite powerfull and can handle just about anything, even when using VLC.

All the codecs that you will ever need are here:

http://shark007.net/

I have been using this for the last 5 years after I was disgusted and frustrated with K-lite's stuff.

I am suprised to see that people still use the K-lite stuff and everybody switched to sharks package.

All the codecs that you will ever need are here:

http://shark007.net/

I have been using this for the last 5 years after I was disgusted and frustrated with K-lite's stuff.

I am suprised to see that people still use the K-lite stuff and everybody switched to sharks package.

What is wrong with k-lite... I think its amazing... Works out just fine for me.

I have used both.. and I had to configure Shark's more than K-Lite.. in fact I never had to touch K-Lite config settings in any form.. I get them and in usable form in all applications ( not just WMP )... I have better range with K-Lite...

I at first thought Shark's was good but then when I put it through the tests ( simply playing and running files ) I found that it seemed to be geared for certain systems by default. So I actually got rid of Sharks and went back to K-Lite.. and this was after hearing and reading so much good about Shark's. Easy to understand UI however.. I find K-Lite's to be more thorough.. ( though most don't even know it has one as they never use it, so if there is an issue needing adjustment .. they get a little lost ).. Some of Sharks seemed to take less CPU .. BUT when using WMP12 I noticed that it took less CPU than some others anyway.. on some files.. so it wasn't actually the package..

Personally I think it may depend on the system you have and video cards as well.. including the type of media range. I think both may be as capable but with Shark's I feel it has some time before it becomes as well rounded.

AND.. I want to make a note that it installs a Real Media Plugin into your browser.. which I didn't like at all. I hate Real Media..never want it in my system and leaves a few items not covered.. That are more widely used ( I would have to re-install to be specific and I am not going to do that right now.. and I would only do that for the developer if he needed assistance .. when I had time )..

But anyway.. thats my feedback.. on them both..

to Enable DXVA on Your MPC-HC

you have to check if your video card support DXVA acceleration

How ?! use DXVA checker

the result should be like this

avquz4.jpg

needed Software :

1- latest DirectX

2-latest Driver For your video card

3- codec pack ( You can use k-lite or CoreAVC (which i prefer )) , of course , it's important to use DXVA capable player (MPC-HC)

let's say you're using a pack that has haali splitter

Go to start >> all programs >>> K-lite >> config>> ffdshow video config

Then

x0pr3q.jpg

then try that for audio filters

34qpbh1.jpg

Regarding the necessary settings of your MPC-HC

View >> options

Then choose playback - output

and choose

i2t4ci.jpg

now internal filters becoz u're using ATI card

un-check "H.264/AVC(FFmpeg)"

ziv9th.jpg

if you have CoreAVC installed , use it as an External filter

just like this

os9w2a.jpg

after all of these adjustments

check it , by using the crtl+j button

and you should see this

244w4t2.jpg

means the work is done :D

Personally I think it may depend on the system you have and video cards as well.. including the type of media range.

Yep, pretty much user preference. I like using just one media player for all files as it makes life and configuring a lot easier.

I tried K-lite last month afer a new install and it really screwed up my system and went back to sharks as it was way easier to configure.

To each thier own.

Thanks for the input. B)

I'm on K-lite side also. I never had any problems with it, and I also tried Shark's and I didn't like it.

Cheers ;)

Dotnetnightmare

CoreAVC isnt free... :( where can I find it?

CoreAVC codecs is available on ANY torrent site. My choice is H33T.com.

Dotnetnightmare

Hey.

I download alot of movies from the internet.. mostly HD stuff ( .MKV ) files 720p or 1080p.

I've always used VLC media player. But now I have read around online and most people believe that VLC is not good for HD material. They say that it is best to use media player classic with different codecs. Therefore, I started to wonder. is this true? Can i get better quality and less chopping with a different media player with codecs. If this is true. Which media player should I use and what codec?

As I said. I download HD-stuff ( .MKV file format )

:pirate: ohoi

www.splayer.org/index.en.html. Splayer is currently the industry standard in Players. It was built with help from Gabest of MPC-HC and has the best performance on MKV files. It has included all codecs and auto detects your hardware configuration and select the appropriate one. So if you don't have a GPU it selects DIVX codecs for H264 playback and if you have a GPU it selects FFDShow & DXVA acceleration. This player while change the standards for all others. I tried VLC and laughed at how Choppy H264 playback was. I use SPLayer on a EeePC 1000HE Netbook with an Atom Processor and enjoy full 720p MKV Playback! On my Home PC 1080p MKV is the only video I play!

I have a quite powerfull ATI video card, and I have downloaded K-lite mega pack. I'm not used to codecs and stuff so i dont know how to configure things.... Do i need to? It works out just fine now... and I havent configured anything.

Another question.

Is the quality better with K-lite codecs and MPC-HC than VLC media player.

Because my Pc is quite powerfull and can handle just about anything, even when using VLC.

i think k-lite codec pack is best of all.

..As much as I like K-Lite.. I always install Full.. instead of Mega because it always screws with the security center, and/or AV.. Or atleast did with Windows XP.. I never bothered with trying it on Windows 7.

LeetPirate

Standard is good enough, I'm positive that the majority of people installing mega don't make use of the extra codecs. Just waste of space, those additional codecs are for encoding and other rare file types that hardly anyone uses. I used to go with mega, until I realised it was wasteful in my case since I had no use for more than half of it.

Archived