Fx Addon: Remotely send a link to another Fx in a LAN.

Tucker

I'm looking for a Firefox add-on or any utility that would allow me to send a link (e.g. yahoo.com) remotely for Firefox to open in another tab in another computer inside my LAN.

The thing is, my parents uses the computer downstairs and they would sometimes ask me for links (very long ones) and sometimes i just wish i could just send them the link remotely so that it would open instantly in another tab in Firefox. We're on the same network. So, has anyone come across with something like this before?

Thanks,

Tucker ;)

P.S.

- It would be nice to see one.

• Replies 12
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Email..could be right...

Now there is also an old extension called POW ( PlainOldWebserver ).. In which you could create a simple page.. with the link(s) and have one bookmark for there's in which they could open and load the page from the webserver running out of FF..

There are probably some other things you could do as well.. ( actually a lot ) Simple using default Windows functions.. networks and media shares.. You get the picture..

Thanks guys!

I would normally just use Rejetto's HFS tool (which I find very handy at times) to share the link after saving it inside a .txt file. Just thought you guys might have some other ideas. I will certainly look into those. ;)

I'm looking for a Firefox add-on or any utility that would allow me to send a link (e.g. yahoo.com) remotely for Firefox to open in another tab in another computer inside my LAN.

P.S.

- It would be nice to see one.

I have 2 recommendations for you:

For Firefox try this:

https://mozillalabs.com/weave/

and this one more complicated ( not for Firefox obviously) :

http://teamviewer.com/index.aspx

Edit:

Google Chrome dev has a built in sync with Google account.

You could open the link in Firefox. Next click 'File' ---->> 'Save Page as...' ---->> 'Web Page, HTML only'. You'd now have a light HTML file which can simply be pasted onto your Parents' system, since you're on the same network. They then, would just need to double click that HTML file to open it on their system.

I have just found a fx addon that allows a user to open remote tabs. it's called xmarks

But it is more intended for a singler user and for backup, rather than multiple user and sharing a links.

I'm using Xmarks, myself - didn't suggest it to you since all your nefarious links (warez + others) would be exposed to your parents :D

It's also not a shortcut or easier method (for your parents) than the one already suggested. :(

I'm using Xmarks, myself - didn't suggest it to you since all your nefarious links (warez + others) would be exposed to your parents :D

It's also not a shortcut or easier method (for your parents) than the one already suggested. :(

I am trying to use the "Open Remote Tabs" feature now. I installed the xmarks addon under a different Firefox Profile (TestProfile) and another one inside my virtualbox. I then deleted that profile, but still i can see it under under xmarks "Open Remote Tabs" Option. Any idea how to get rid of it?

xm01.png

@ dcs18

Appreciate the tut mate. Thanks!

Just wanna let everyone else know that I've finally got rid of the old and expired tabs that is showing under my 'Open Remote Tabs' menu by following the 5 Steps below:

Tabs from old or no-longer used browsers overstay their welcome. To eliminate them, do the following:

1. Login to your account at https://my.xmarks.com/

2. Click on Tools -> Open Remote Tabs

3. In the window that opens, click on Clear Data

4. Find the browsers whose data you wish to remove and check the associated checkbox.

5. Click the "Delete" button.

Cheers,

Tuck :cheers:

• 3 months later...

Archived