BSOD Win 7

csmdew

Was shutting down win 7 pro as normal shutdown when I got the bsod. Stupidly I forgot to write down the error code while trying to get puter unlocked from the bsod. Finally shutdown with off button but when I tried to restart I can not get past the BIOS page that shows mem, harddrives, dvd drives and basic pre post info; but that's as far as it will go. I have switched ram from slot to slot and tried all 4 sticks I have independently.(it does show as good at start up. Also have tried booting from cloned drive but only get to the same bios page and no further, so does anyone have any suggestions for me to try. Running amd 2+ black 5000 cpu, gigabyte ga-ma770-ds3 board, 3 gb crucial ram 800, xfx nvedia 8600gt, and 600 watt ps. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

• Replies 20
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Go to ubuntu's website and download the USB version of the OS. If it boots that way, it is not the PC and it is software, reformat and reinstall

• Administrator

First, how many times does it beep before starting the computer? And long beep or short beep.

Remove CD/DVD drive(s) and try. That BIOS thingy has happened to me a many times and then solved by re-connecting the cd/dvd drive.

Lets just take BSOD away for a moment. What's the last thing you see progressing when you see post message?

Boots to bios page info and then shows cpu info, mem testing and info, drives installed/location info, and at btm of page it shows delete setup, f12 boot order, rapid recovery, etc. Everything works as far as pwr but no keyboard or mouse functions. Never goes to menu screen and definitely not to the os screen so trying a usb boot won't do any good. Beginning to think it it may be a bad ps rail (?). If anyone has this board then they know what page I am showing at start up. Also thought I was getting 1 beep but not sure (inconsistent sounds).

It would seem your hard disk might have problem....

You would need to do a lot of testing on each individual piece of hardware and narrow down the defect.

To check RAM, you will need to remove all the pieces, using and testing each piece at a time. (not just changing slot).

If you had confirm RAM is not the issue, then check the hard disk.

Take it out, connect it using ide cables and using another computer to see whether you can access it, then do a 'chkdisk'.

Does your computer reboot by itself after starting for a while?

Will not boot unless pwr button pushed, have 2 hd drives setup for this puter but will not go beyond first load page using any repair disc or different drives.

And as I said above all the ram was tested to include a new 4th stk but same results. Can"t run these hd drives in other puter since these are sata and old puter can"t handle them but all 4 drives I have could not have gone bad at same time especially since 2 were not in the machine. Keep the ideas coming something might click, thanks.

The main disk which your original OS is installed.

Using another hard disk, making sure the jumper is set correctly for primary and secondary, then tried installing new OS on this disk.

If it installed without problem, then the original hard disk is faulty.

As I said I have tried 4 hard drives and 1 was right out of the package but it will not move past first boot page.

Note: You can actually run the hard disk by using external IDE cable on another computer.

Its not like replacing the hard disk......when appearing on another pc....its like an external disk.......if you get what I mean.

Then you can troubleshoot this external hard disk.

As I said I have tried 4 hard drives and 1 was right out of the package but it will not move past first boot page.

Does it shut down by itself?

Trying changing the internal IDE cable connecting to the hard disk.

Is your processor's heatsink loose?

Using a PS2 cable for keyboard would enable you to enter bios instead of using USB.

Try a reset of bio to default from there.

Will not get to the os, menu, or any place other than the basic mb info page that show mem, processor used and drives installed.

As I mentioned further above was wondering if ps could be the problem but the board is getting power so I just don't know; will try to swap out later. Don't know why I can't enter bios though unless the board is not getting all the pwr needed, gonna have to do some reading on that. thanks and lets keep the suggestions coming.............building or buying another new puter is no problem but hate to be stumped when I have a degree in computer info.

Can you try this please:-

01.) Switch off your system and all other accessories.

02.) Switch off the board

03.) Disconnect every external cable and wiring connecting to modem, router, telephone, USB, serial ports, keyboards, mouse, LAN, CPU, monitor, extensions, UPS, spike-guard, etc., etc. Disconnect on both the ends.

04.) Clean up the terminals and connectors wherever possible.

05.) Wait for some 5 - 7 minutes.

06.) Reconnect everything back to a tight-mating contact.

07.) Try to boot now.

Apparently had a loose wire, while moving it around noticed lights flickering so shut all down and checked all connetions to insure not loose. After finished plugged pc back up and has been working fine since. Thanks fos all the help.

Wow...finally he's back and now everything is fine.

Glad everything works fine.

cheers!

• 3 weeks later...

Checking all of my connections is the first thing I do when I encounter an issue. Plus its a good excuse to get in the box and blow out the dust and tidy up a bit. If that doesn't do the trick, then I begin attacking the internal components; the drives, RAM, mobo, etc. Good to see you are up and running again.

As far as Windows 7 is concerned, I thoroughly enjoy it. Plain and simple, it just runs...and fast.

Cheers!

Archived