IE8

shajt

Hi,

I recently moved to Internet Explorer 8 and I've been using it for a few days.

What I noticed is very interesting.

Every time I close IE there is iexplore.exe process still running and eating 50% of CPU usage.

I googled a little about this and I can see people are asking the same thing but I wasn't able to find answer.

I can kill that task without problem , but still ... I surely can't remember to do that every time, why is this happening ?

Anyone know what is going on ?

tnx

• Replies 35
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Have IE Pro 7?

Try disabling any plugins in IE. Or use a tweak that combines all the ie processors into one. If it still doesn't work, IE sucks. :P

Nah, it's regular IE8 which comes with Win7 , OS is fully updated.

Only thing I tried was to go in Manage Add-ons and disabled ALL , just to try if that is related, but it's not.

I've been browsing for many many years and never used IE before, but I don't think this latest one sucks,I really like it, only problem is that weird process still running after closing.

But I'll find what is causing the problem :sneaky:

• Administrator

Hmm. I think that many process into one process may help. You should try.

I cannot think of anything else that may solve the problem(as you ruled out plugins problem).

Sl@pSh0ck™

If you don't find any solution, you might want to give this a try. Run IE sandboxed (sandboxie) ... then open sandboxie control ... right click on IE - program settings - program stop - tick the first box under it.

post-23431-127128099338_thumb.png

I just found out something interesting ....

When IE is opened by email client (I'm using TheBat btw) by clicking on link in email message, then when I close IE iexplore.exe is not running (like it should be) :mellow:

But when I start IE via Start button then it happens every time.

Huh ... :blink:

IE 8 runs one process for the main GUI and one additional process for each tab.

If you just have one tab open, then you will see two processes for iexplorer.exe.

Try closing all tabs before you exit IE 8 including , then it wait for a few minutes to exit from your task manager.

On your Internet Options, if you have "Delete Browsing history on exit" checked, then this might be why it is taking longer to exit for your task manager.

Or on the Advanced Tab have "Empty Temporary Internet Files folder when browser is closed" this can also cause it longer to shut down.

If you use SpywareBlaster or Spybot's Immunization, it can cause some problems with IE 8 shutting down properly.

Thanks. :rolleyes:

• Administrator

Try to close all the tabs and then close full IE.

It's not that.

Let me give you clear example ...

I just start IE , home page is blank, so nothing is used, just start and then exit.

iexplore.exe is still running and like I've said using 50% of cpu.

Settings in IE are default, I changed nothing except fonts.

SOLVED !!!!!!!

It's because of Prevx :frusty:

Sorry guys for confusion and thank you for your help :)

I'll investigate this with Prevx experts :)

Wow ... I tried with Firefox and exactly the same thing, you close Firefox and firefox.exe is still running ...

Yup ... Prevx ...

Well, yes it's because of Prevx and no, it's not because of Prevx ... :lol:

To explain : When I exit from Prevx on main OS (Win7) everything is OK , so I thought it was Prevx.

Then I tried in VM with both Win7 and WinXP , of course with Prevx , and it was OK.

So, then must be something else in combination with Prevx on my main OS, and only thing resident is Comodo , but I have Comodo (same latest version) in VM also.

I don't know what else could be besides ATI drivers and Realtek for audio , there is nothing else resident.

Or .... maybe it's time for me to reinstall clean new OS because this one is somehow fcked up.

Okay so I am finding LOADS of results and things to try... This thread has a lot to say. Some of which is pertaining to an update with Comodo Firewall.. and also several others.. Like Adobe Helpers and Plugin or addons....

Mine has been giving me hell about Protected Mode.. and freezing.. so I need to do something there too..LOL

maybe it's time for me to reinstall clean new OS because this one is somehow fcked up.

Before you jump the gun, try using a registry cleaner first like RegVac ^_^

I also found loads of results, and some going back to early days of IE even, and by looking at dates it's 2001, 2002 , so it's not something new.

However, I tried everything I found (most solutions are just to disable some toolbars or add-ons) but in my case it's not that.

btw that link is giving me some error.

Anyhow, I think the problem here is something with registry or something else, it's been a while since I installed this Win7 on main OS and I can remember running many many apps like tuneup utilities, norton security, ccleaner, god knows what else, some hyperdesk chaning theme for Win7 etc etc.

I don't see what else could be since it's working in virtual machine.

Maybe I should run CCleaner just to phuck it more ... :o

After that maybe I'm gonna reinstall just IE8 , and if that doesn't work I'm gonna install clean Win7 OS and then it must work as it should.

@heath28m , now first link is working, and the second one also, thank you, I'll read it now and try.

@Bizzare, I've downloaded RegVac , cleaned it but problem is still there, also with CCleaner after that ...

• Administrator

How about SFC /SCANNOW . It will do a good job, would be more easy than to re-install the OS.

@dkt27, yes, you are right, I'm gonna do that now.

btw I can't beleive it, it's the same with Safari and Firefox (I open them, close them and their process is still running with exactly 50% usage of cpu like IE)

So, it's not IE's fault.

Limited or Administrative Account?

EDIT: What are ALL of your Adobe addons and extensions? Something common between them all.. Like the PDF software..

Administrative.

It's not PDF from Adobe (I use Foxit) , only thing I can see is Flash plugin.

But what confuses me even more, is that without Prevx running everything is OK , when Prevx is running this happens.

But I'm the only one with that problem so it's not EXACTLY Prevx and it's running in virtual machines normal.

It's some weird combination.

SFC /SCANNOW said it found some problems and it should repair it after reboot, but problem remains.

I think I need to reinstall system, it must be done I fear, altough it would cause me great pain to setup everything again.

Or ... it just came 2 me now ... uninstall Prevx and everything will work fine :D

Not an ideal solution, as something is clearly wrong beside Prevx , but all I know is that I don't have ANY other problems.

Or ... somehow I think it's Comodo, don't know why, but .. just 2 be sure I'm gonna uninstall first Comodo and see.

Altough I've exited from Comodo and tried (problem remained) but it's not the same (I think) as completely remove it.

• Administrator

Do you have Comodo Safe Search installed?

I have one question, in your Java Control Applet; do you allow file storage ( DOM Storage in other places as it is referred to ) on your system and are there any files present? I would check to see and make sure you wipe all of the files out.. Also you may want to be sure to try to wipe out all LSO's .. or SuperCookies..

I haven't tried your latest PrevX as have been using HitMan Pro.. I keep PrevX for portable usage.. ( kind of ).. but have you tried disabling the SafeOnline, then closing the browsers? It could be more complicated that that too if a file is being loaded into memory regardless of its usage as well.. with possibly a buggy reference to it.. written in.. Like with Comodo Safe Surf or W/E..

@dkt27, No, just firewall and Defense+ with Sandbox disabled.

@heath28m, I don't have Java installed.

It's not Prevx , I mean, it doesn't have anything to do with fix, as you all saw on other forums, this is something regarding any security software (as far as I see it right now) which prevents ending browser task after close.

Further more, same configuration (Prevx and Comodo)is working in clean installed OS in my virtual enviroment.

My guess is that something is wrong in registry, or some system files (regarding browsing internet) , I'm just guessing, not sure ...

Yes, if I disable SafeOnline (kill it's task and Prevx is not running completely) it's ok then, I don't know how to disable just SafeOnline.

I'll look into this before I reinstall OS (if I choose to reinstall, but I doubt I'll do that) and report if I find solution.

Archived