blank DVD media [Question]

Nemesis

im kind-of lost on what to buy when it comes to blank DVD's. I like to use DVD-RW's for movies because if it screws up, I can just format and try again, but what is the best "bang for buck" when it comes to bland DVD's

• Replies 4
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most DVD-R / +R's are so cheap now that even IF you got a coaster, using a second wouldn't make that much of a dent.

I tend to buy mine in bulk every few months, sometimes 100, sometimes 200 but I very rarely end up losing more than 2-3 due to bad burns and so forth.

I've found Datawrite Titanium's to be a very good brand, although each have their own personal preference. I would suggest staying away from generic no-name brands though as the quality may not be the best.

whats the differnce between dvd -rw and dvd +rw the - seems to be more expensive just not sure why same with just -r

wikipedia be your friend...

The DVD+R format is divergent from the DVD-R format. Hybrid drives that can handle both, often labeled "DVD±RW", are very popular since there is not yet a single standard for recordable DVDs. There are a number of significant technical differences between the dash and plus formats, although most consumers would not notice the difference. One example is the ADIP system of tracking and speed control being less susceptible to interference and error than the LPP system used by DVD-R, which makes the ADIP system more accurate at higher speeds. Also DVD+R(W) has a more robust error management system than DVD-R(W), allowing for more accurate burning to media independent of the quality of the media. Additional session linking methods are quite a bit more accurate with DVD+R(W) versus DVD-R(W), resulting in fewer damaged or unusable discs due to buffer under-run and multi-session disks with fewer PI/PO errors.

Like other plus media, it is possible to use bitsetting to increase the compatibility of DVD+R media.

Archived