Custom PC Plan

CODYQX4

I'm planning to build a new PC, and I have the parts selected on a public NewEgg wishlist. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations or notices anything wrong with the config.

Keep in mind that this is more of an initial build, and some things will be upgraded soon (want to max out my ram but don't have the cash yet, and was thinking about an SSD).

Parts List: http://secure.newegg...Number=18571988

I appreciate any help or advice on this.

• Replies 12
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

You are choosing 3.33GHz CPU so it can surely accept more RAM. The 2.66GHz can only take upto 1333MHz non-overclocked.

I'm using ATI HD 5450. And it's good. Critics are too harsh on it. But if you are planning to play games, it may suit my gaming needs but not yours.

My engineer did a survey and found that all the DVD writers, Sony, Samsung and LG, are having problems. Surprisingly he found that HP DVD writer is good nowadays.

I would advice you to look at ASUS mobo. I'm using it now and I'm really really impressed. :)

I think you may need a better power supply.

I would choose a better brand for the PSU.

The GPU might be a bottleneck for the rest of your system. I recommend the Asus EAH5750 FORMULA/2DI/1GD5. It's 120€ here. Or you could go for the 5570, that one is 90 € in holland.

The mobo.. maybe the Asus Maximus II Formula ?

@CODYQX4:

You're better off with an AMD Asus MOBO.

Make sure to get AMD Black Editions... they're unlocked ^_^

TheTwilightZone

What are going to use the machine for ? Cause the CPU looks a bit overkill compared to the rest of the system.

You might wan't to look at something cheaper or perhaps a Phenom II X4 965 :)

If you're considering SSD > Intel Postvilles might be something

As for GPU, how 'bout 5670 or 5570 ?

Or why not consider a 4850, that will blow away everything up to a 5750.

So if you don't need the features of the 5 series... ;)

PSU: You can get better ones for less money, sam story with the case

You are choosing 3.33GHz CPU so it can surely accept more RAM. The 2.66GHz can only take upto 1333MHz non-overclocked.

I'm using ATI HD 5450. And it's good. Critics are too harsh on it. But if you are planning to play games, it may suit my gaming needs but not yours.

My engineer did a survey and found that all the DVD writers, Sony, Samsung and LG, are having problems. Surprisingly he found that HP DVD writer is good nowadays.

I would advice you to look at ASUS mobo. I'm using it now and I'm really really impressed. smile.gif

I think you may need a better power supply.

Which HP writer is that? Is it blu-ray? I want a burner mainly for Blu-Ray burning and playing, so hopefully there is a better BD Burner.

I'll max out the RAM at 24GB when I get more cash. The MB can support 2200mhz RAM. I may get 2200mhz when I do upgrade the RAM, but currently can't find individual DDR3 4GB (Not 2 X 2GB) at that clock.

I found the same RAM but at 1600mhz, not sure if this MB will take 1600mhz.

I would choose a better brand for the PSU.

The GPU might be a bottleneck for the rest of your system. I recommend the Asus EAH5750 FORMULA/2DI/1GD5. It's 120€ here. Or you could go for the 5570, that one is 90 € in holland.

The mobo.. maybe the Asus Maximus II Formula ?

The Asus EAH5750 FORMULA/2DI/1GD5 is good. No USB 3 on that Asus MB is a deal breaker, and it only does 16GB DDR2. Do you have a recommended PSU that would be good for this PC? A 1000W would probably be a better option.

@CODYQX4:

You're better off with an AMD Asus MOBO.

Make sure to get AMD Black Editions... they're unlocked happy.gif

I am not quite sure about the MB yet, but I have a few requirements, mainly: USB 3, 24GB+ DDR 3, and able to use the i7 980X 6 core processor.

What are going to use the machine for ? Cause the CPU looks a bit overkill compared to the rest of the system.

You might wan't to look at something cheaper or perhaps a Phenom II X4 965 smile.gif

If you're considering SSD > Intel Postvilles might be something

As for GPU, how 'bout 5670 or 5570 ?

Or why not consider a 4850, that will blow away everything up to a 5750.

So if you don't need the features of the 5 series... wink.gif

PSU: You can get better ones for less money, sam story with the case

Craploads of VM's, use it as a server, etc, don't really need to play lots of high end games with it but want it good enough to handle them. Fast processing, storage, and craploads of memory are the focus. I definitely want USB 3 on the MB.

I added a possible SSD, changed the GPU, got 1600mhz RAM, maybe you know of a cheaper/better SSD and RAM. I want SSD to be at least 80-128GB, enough to install stuff on. Any large amounts of data get put on my USB HDD (USB 3, so I want to use it to it's full potential). I could use a better case, blu ray burner, and PSU for sure.

I am not sure about the MB though. I want to have the USB 3, at least 24GB DDR3 RAM, and use the i7 980X with it. Overclockable/unlocked is a plus, but I only want to go up to the point where I don't need to add extra cooling (will do that later down the line though to really get the most of this).

TheTwilightZone

That Intel SSD is already pretty good for what you get. OCZ Vertex might also be something to look at, or Kingston SSDNow V+ series ;)

RAM also looks ok, maybe this is also an option ?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145265&cm_re=dominator-_-20-145-265-_-Product

Not saying specifically that one, but all the Dominators in general

I believe the stock Intel cooler for the i7 980X was pretty decent and good, and besides with a good airflow in your case, you won't be getting heat problems soon :)

That Intel SSD is already pretty good for what you get. OCZ Vertex might also be something to look at, or Kingston SSDNow V+ series wink.gif

RAM also looks ok, maybe this is also an option ?

http://www.newegg.co...5-265-_-Product

Not saying specifically that one, but all the Dominators in general

I believe the stock Intel cooler for the i7 980X was pretty decent and good, and besides with a good airflow in your case, you won't be getting heat problems soon smile.gif

Found a good OCZ Vertex, less space but better performance and much cheaper. That RAM is good but comes in 2x2 GB, but it is of a better latency.

• Administrator

Well I was referring to DVD burner...

For Asus Mobo, go here: http://www.asus.com/ProductGroup2.aspx?PG_ID=mKyCKlQ4oSEtSu5m and enter into that 1366 socket.

I recommend that you go for ATI 5570. I had no other option than 5450 as 5570 was not available in India. But 5570 is just great as per reviews.

You might like to have a look at Kingston HyperX series if you can spend some real bucks.

BTW what's your budget...

Well I was referring to DVD burner...

For Asus Mobo, go here: http://www.asus.com/...KyCKlQ4oSEtSu5m and enter into that 1366 socket.

I recommend that you go for ATI 5570. I had no other option than 5450 as 5570 was not available in India. But 5570 is just great as per reviews.

You might like to have a look at Kingston HyperX series if you can spend some real bucks.

BTW what's your budget...

About $3000, but approaching it quickly (I'm likely to buy things separately, I can buy most of the stuff together except the CPU)

I went with the 5570, and am probably going to stick with the memory I have (will get it Maxed out later).

The burner will likely wait, as I don't really need it now.

I'm still considering the SSD, as I'd like to get one cheaper. I've got an old HDD somewhere I may put in until I buy the SSD.

I'd like a cheaper but comparable PC Case and power supply though...

• Administrator

I've taken Cooler Master eXtreme 500W. You might wanna see if there's a 750W or more available in eXtreme model.

And in opposite to what the reviewers said, it's quite silent.

If you want USB 3.0 you should stick with Gigabit.. Didn't found any asus mobo's with usb3.0 :blink:

I've been looking for a PSU for you. Corsair CMPSU-1000HX would be a good one. It's a 1000 Watt and it's a bit pricy.. 200 € here. A friend of mine got it. He's soo happy with it. Didn't have any hassle with connecting everything he has. (and yea, he has a monster pc :P ).

Or go for Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000W. I got the 520W version and it's really quite and awesome! :) This one is 140 €.

As you can see a big difference. But the corsair has more connecters.

If you want USB 3.0 you should stick with Gigabit.. Didn't found any asus mobo's with usb3.0 blink.gif

I've been looking for a PSU for you. Corsair CMPSU-1000HX would be a good one. It's a 1000 Watt and it's a bit pricy.. 200 € here. A friend of mine got it. He's soo happy with it. Didn't have any hassle with connecting everything he has. (and yea, he has a monster pc tongue.gif ).

Or go for Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000W. I got the 520W version and it's really quite and awesome! smile.gif This one is 140 €.

As you can see a big difference. But the corsair has more connecters.

Corsair CMPSU-1000HX: A bit expensive, but I like it, also supports CrossFire and SLI if I ever want to go that route.

I'm at the lower end of $2000 right now. I am going to wait on the Disk Drive since it's not a necessity (I install the OS from USB anyway).

I'll probably cheap out on the HDD or use an old one so I can afford this sooner rather than later (that CPU's really going to eat my cash but it's worth it).

Same thing with the monitor as the HDD, but I like that the one I picked has built in speakers and TV Tuner.

If I can cut the costs of the case a little then things look good.

Archived