Universal Windows Version Changer

haber123

haber123

Thank you.  How have you been?  Any new projects?  I am looking for an universal windows version changer.  If windows 10 1809 LTSC is installed how to reliably be able to update windows to pro keeping settings and apps.  Its hit and miss so far.  Tried Universal media over the weekend ( https://github.com/AveYo/MediaCreationTool.bat ) also on MDL ( https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/universal-mediacreationtool-wrapper-script-create-windows-11-media-with-automatic-bypass.84168/ ) with no luck. It has an auto function that suppose to allow ltsc to pro. Rollback function always kicks in and reverts to original os.  Updates or removing drivers, doesn't change it.  But Sometimes it works and can update a 1809 ltsc to pro keeping settings and apps, about 1 out of 4 PC's I can keep settings and apps.  All different pc's from different installs.  Tried going to various versions as targets ie 20h2, 21h2, 22h2, updated or not updated source os  all with varying success.

Like server 2012r2 1607, sometimes I can do in place upgrade to 2016 keeping settings and apps (then to 2019, finely to 2022), other times I cant. Updates, drivers, installed programs don't seem to matter , it works 1 out 3 times on separate servers. 

What I am looking for is what and where this is this governed.  Reg tricks with editionID, target Edition are not it.  "s1ave77" was a MDL member along time ago, wrote some really nice utilities, one was license switcher that became "S-M-R-T JATD" (Just Another Tool) that would allow prohibited version change. 

I was wondering if you had knowledge in this area.  The quality of you iso's show your getting good with dism and reg files.  I dabbled in the tiny and made a pretty  good win 10 20h2.   I installed all over the place,  Next, it was telemetry for me,  both MS and google.  I thought I could de-google the world. But after a while you give up as they make it so hard to figure out.

I look forward to your tiny.  I will give it a shot in a vm soon.

Thank you, 

Harry

• Like 1

shwescorpion

@haber123 

Your question has the answers of very wide range and my answer may not solve your problem.

This section is the best for your question to be get answered and moved to here.

AFAIK, LTSC is not upgradable to any windows version, only the clean installation will do.

Maybe @WindowsAddict can help you what you are looking for.

And @Tux 528 might be able to help you on "keeping settings and apps" when you do upgrade.

And any other members who got experience in doing such thing will answer your questions in here.

haber123

LTSC is upgradable.  Have done it any times.  Just cant every time.  I was just seeing if the area was of interest to you.  I will find the secret one day.  Its like server 1607 is  a ltsc variant, but I have been able to do in place update keeping settings and apps. But again, not every time.

I was thinking its in the gpt disk/uefi boot that throws the roll back function..  Next one I will convert the drive to a mbr boot and see. 

Thank you.

• Like 1