Win11 is blocking apps

Radpop
Go to solution Solved by Radpop,

Win11Pro is blocking Ghostery browser and LibreOffice. I tried LibreOffice 24.2. and at first it worked but then suddenly not. Then I uninstalled it and downgraded to 7.6.5 but no luck. I still get notice: 

image.png.4891b8211fad20066ba8ef69a7d090f1.png

But file is there. Where is the block?

shwescorpion
29 minutes ago, Radpop said:

But file is there. Where is the block?

If you are using Windows Defender AV, then turn it off.

Even the file is there, the file is already corrupted due to AV neutralized that exe file.

And reinstall again.

1 hour ago, shwescorpion said:

If you are using Windows Defender AV, then turn it off.

I used gpedit to enable 'Turn Off Microsoft Defender Antivirus'. After reboot state is 'not configured' and Defender is running. Problem stays.

Not enough superpowers? Do I need to login my Microsoft account before disabling Defender?

This problem appeared when my Bitdefender TS subscription ended and I tried many alternatives: Avast, Avg F-Secure and Kaspersky. Avast and Avg I uninstalled because of conflict with Sandboxie. Kaspersky I uninstalled because of this LibreOffice problem, and now I use Bitdefender IS. 

Add Libreoffice folder in exclusion folder of Windows Defender.  This should solve the problem.

GlacialMan
1 hour ago, Radpop said:

I used gpedit to enable 'Turn Off Microsoft Defender Antivirus'. After reboot state is 'not configured' and Defender is running. Problem stays.

Not enough superpowers? Do I need to login my Microsoft account before disabling Defender?

This problem appeared when my Bitdefender TS subscription ended and I tried many alternatives: Avast, Avg F-Secure and Kaspersky. Avast and Avg I uninstalled because of conflict with Sandboxie. Kaspersky I uninstalled because of this LibreOffice problem, and now I use Bitdefender IS. 

LibreOffice should not be targeted by AVs, so, the error is probably caused by a System problem (eg in registry or file permissions), or the application is corrupted

Some general recommendations:

• remove the uninstalled AVs leftovers, the best way is using the official removers, a simpler and free way to identify the needed ones is using an Application like Antivirus Removal Tool
  • completely disable (removing it is forever...) the MS Security Environment, if malfunctioning, a simpler way to do it is using an Application like Defender Remover
  • remove the undesired Malwares and Applications, they can cause unexpected results, a simpler way to identify and remove them is using an Application like AdwCleaner
  • upgrade the System to the current version
  • execute DISM and SFC System repair functions, a simpler way to do it is using an Application like FixWin11 (for Windows 10/11) or Wintoys
  • completely remove and reinstall the official current JRE (needed only for some LibreOffice functions)
  • completely remove and reinstall the current VC++ Runtimes
  • completely remove and reinstall the official current LibreOffice application

If nothing solves (in this case, you surely have noticed other problems, unrelated to LibreOffice), you can try to execute a System In-place Upgrade. A simpler way to do it is using an Application like MS Media Creation Tool (specific versions for Windows 10 and specific version for Windows 11). Settings, Applications and Data are preserved

• Solution

Problem solved! Opened regedit, checked registry and found some keys on 'Image file execution options' for three unworkable apps: There was an Avast block for example with soffice and so on. I removed these keys and installed and opened LibreOffice 24.2 succesfully.

image.thumb.png.04c0ffe8a17f352668573aba9e1cf485.png

Kaspersky thinks that Ghostery browser is malware but there was no block left on registry from Kaspersky. Nice Firefox fork but you can't run it if you use Kaspersky or Avast.

Btw. I used Avast Clear to uninstall Avast Antivirus and it left leftovers. 

Edited by Radpop
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

GlacialMan
9 minutes ago, Radpop said:

Problem solved! Opened regedit, checked registry and found some keys on 'Image file execution options' for three unworkable apps: There was an Avast block for example with soffice and so on. I removed these keys and installed and opened LibreOffice 24.2 succesfully.

image.thumb.png.04c0ffe8a17f352668573aba9e1cf485.png

Kaspersky thinks that Ghostery browser is malware but there was no block left on registry from Kaspersky. Nice Firefox fork but you can't run it if you use Kaspersky or Avast. 

It's not a bad idea checking for other AVs leftovers and remove them using the official cleaners

• Like 2

Thanks, You are right but in most cases I do it manually by regedit and file search. Maybe use of Avast Clear made me careless. 😌

Installing Avast One Essential was awful experience. I have activated Avast Browser last spring. One's installation program found browser's activation code from registry and requested activation code for paid Avast One. I had to uninstall both and then install Avast One alone. And then there was a conflict with Sandboxie and other performance issues. Avast av isn't for me. 🥴 

Edited by Radpop

GlacialMan

When I'm obligated to have an AV, I prefer the MS AV, simple, not extremely invasive, integrated in the System, and totally free. Quality of the AVs is very similar, for the middle user. Each time you change, you risk a worst solution... Preferred AV is an old and boring argument, it mainly depends on personal needs and skills

• Like 1

16 hours ago, GlacialMan said:

When I'm obligated to have an AV, I prefer the MS AV, simple, not extremely invasive, integrated in the System, and totally free. Quality of the AVs is very similar, for the middle user. Each time you change, you risk a worst solution... Preferred AV is an old and boring argument, it mainly depends on personal needs and skills

Sure!

Kaspersky, Bitdefender, and Avast/AVG have performed very well in tests for years. Defender can't be removed, it offers basic protection, and is free. First of all, my desire was to use Avast or AVG, but I wanted a program with which the pc is mostly silent, i.e. the fan does not whirr constantly when playing video in full-screen mode. In this section, Avast/AVG and F-Secure backpacked. Privacy is also an important issue and partly a matter of opinion. Finally my order was Bitdefender, Kaspersky, Defender.

Testing virus scanners isn't risk-free. During my own tests, Avast and Kaspersky, after using their removal programs in safe mode, left such remnants in the registry that they could be described as malicious. Windows' 'add and remove programs' is often the best way to remove virus scanner.

My installed version of Kaspersky free was 21.16. When I used Kavremover in safe mode, it detected and locked to version 16, and uninstallation partly failed. Some registry leftovers were still locked after reboots, so I reinstalled Kaspersky free to uninstall it, and used Windows 'add and remove' with better success.

https://www.kaspersky.com.au/blog/kavremover-tip/4833/

11 hours ago, Radpop said:

My installed version of Kaspersky free was 21.16. When I used Kavremover in safe mode, it detected and locked to version 16, and uninstallation partly failed. Some registry leftovers were still locked after reboots, so I reinstalled Kaspersky free to uninstall it, and used Windows 'add and remove' with better success.

https://www.kaspersky.com.au/blog/kavremover-tip/4833/

Why were the registry entries left by Kavremover extremely dangerous?

Because of these leftovers, Microsoft Defender remained in the Non Configured state, and did not go to the Enabled state after Kaspersky was uninstalled. Thus, the security center did not turn on Microsoft Defender's real-time protection. There was no warning about this, because apparently the security center thought that Kaspersky was still handling the protection. To see that Defender and therefore Windows lacked real-time protection, you had to open the Windows Security sub-page, because the main page said everything was fine. In my case, the protection was not missing for very long time, because I immediately switched to Bitdefender.

GlacialMan
On 2/28/2024 at 3:17 PM, Radpop said:

Why were the registry entries left by Kavremover extremely dangerous?

Because of these leftovers, Microsoft Defender remained in the Non Configured state, and did not go to the Enabled state after Kaspersky was uninstalled. Thus, the security center did not turn on Microsoft Defender's real-time protection. There was no warning about this, because apparently the security center thought that Kaspersky was still handling the protection. To see that Defender and therefore Windows lacked real-time protection, you had to open the Windows Security sub-page, because the main page said everything was fine. In my case, the protection was not missing for very long time, because I immediately switched to Bitdefender.

AVs leftovers are usually not dangerous but, sometimes, if some components are not completely uninstalled, they may remain fully or partially active in the System, interfering with other applications and reducing resources with no benefits. That's one of the main reasons why producers offer specific removers. Installing and uninstalling AVs is never a very good idea, especially if the removers are not used. In my opinion free AVs have nothing so better than the integrated one. In some cases I've preferred specific AVs but I've installed them after having removed the MS Security tools. More than one 3rd party removers are available for that target but they are not recommended, if you want restore the official conditions. Example

2 hours ago, GlacialMan said:

AVs leftovers are usually not dangerous but, sometimes, if some components are not completely uninstalled, they may remain fully or partially active in the System, interfering with other applications and reducing resources with no benefits. That's one of the main reasons why producers offer specific removers. Installing and uninstalling AVs is never a very good idea, especially if the removers are not used. In my opinion free AVs have nothing so better than the integrated one.

Thank you, but my device is now fine. I checked it with Bitdefender and KVRT. Initially, I used Avast Clear and Kavremover in safe mode. They left harmful and dangerous remains, which I have now removed with my own hands. Next, I'd remove the main culprit for the severity of the problem, but Defender can't be removed. Maybe you'll open a new thread if you want to chat and convince people about Defender.