Looking for a minimalist firewall

Archimede
Go to solution Solved by kevinzou,

Archimede

Hello :)

On one Windows 7 laptop I decided to ditch Eset Smart Security (used for many years) and similar such packages.

I am looking for a small and intuitive utility that simply monitors the system and prevents any running application from accessing the internet.

A sort of a minimalist firewall that notifies me with a simple popup: "An application running on this computer is attempting to communicate with a remote computer. Do you wish to allow this communication? ALLOW/DENY + Remember action (create rule)"

I can't say I am entirely happy with what I have tested so far (see below) and I welcome any creative suggestions :)

FAB Firewall App Blocker
Fort Firewall
FortKnox Personal Firewall
FreeFirewall (Evorim)
OneClickFirewall
Simple Firewall
Simplewall
TinyWall
Windows Firewall Control (BiniSoft - Malwarebytes)

The best Firewall to Notify you for Applications Trying to Access the Internet is, by far, Comodo Firewall.

It is Not a Minimalistic Firewall, but it is the Strongest one...;)

xkryptonx
8 hours ago, Archimede said:

Hello :)

On one Windows 7 laptop I decided to ditch Eset Smart Security (used for many years) and similar such packages.

I am looking for a small and intuitive utility that simply monitors the system and prevents any running application from accessing the internet.

A sort of a minimalist firewall that notifies me with a simple popup: "An application running on this computer is attempting to communicate with a remote computer. Do you wish to allow this communication? ALLOW/DENY + Remember action (create rule)"

I can't say I am entirely happy with what I have tested so far (see below) and I welcome any creative suggestions :)

FAB Firewall App Blocker
Fort Firewall
FortKnox Personal Firewall
FreeFirewall (Evorim)
OneClickFirewall
Simple Firewall
Simplewall
TinyWall
Windows Firewall Control (BiniSoft - Malwarebytes)

The best i found are:

ZoneAlarm Firewalll

Bitdefender Internet Security

Hope that helps :)

Edited by xkryptonx
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, xkryptonx said:

ZoneAlarm Firewalll

I also vote for ZoneAlarm, which I used for many years on both XP and 7.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Archimede

Thanks for the feedback provided so far, friends :)

I will be testing all suggested solutions and I will report back here.

Quick note on ZoneAlarm: Unless I am wrong, I noticed that the 1MB online installer (ZoneAlarmNGSetup_ZANG_FW_FR_AR8ZNP.exe) downloads in the temp dir a 300+ MB installer... Frankly I find that a little too heavy footprint for a firewall.

Please keep your suggestions coming... Hopefully soon I will mark one of your posts as the SOLUTION ;)

Edited by Archimede

@pc71520 I agree.  Comodo firewall is the best free firewall. I have been using it for many years as from windows XP.  But, it is not easy to find only the installation file of firewall  and bundled with Comodo dragon  browser and internet security pro. Both, I don't like to use. 

Archimede
1 minute ago, franco46 said:

But, it is not easy to find only the installation file of firewall

Very true!

Until now I still did not manage to find the offline installer for the firewall alone (which is the one I want)... If anyone could kindly share it, I would really appreciate that :)

Thanks

@Archimede Try this link at about the middle part of the page under the paragraph "How to setup and use comodo firewall.

https://securedstatus.com/comodo-firewall-features-and-installation/

I just search it from google. But, it is online installation and I do not know whether it only consists of firewall and dragon browser. If not,  I will try to find my online-installer from my hard disks and USBs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

elena1024
10 hours ago, Archimede said:

Very true!

Until now I still did not manage to find the offline installer for the firewall alone (which is the one I want)... If anyone could kindly share it, I would really appreciate that :)

Thanks

http://cdn.download.comodo.com/cis/download/installs/4000/standalone/cfw_installer.exe

or

https://cdn.download.comodo.com/cis/download/installs/1000/partners/cmd_fw_installer_138430009_eb.exe

Edited by elena1024
correction

Archimede

From the links provided above I downloaded the online installer (Comodo Internet Security v12.2.2.8012) with options to exclude the Dragon browser and the Security Essentials components. It appears that no offline installer is available :(

The 222 MB online installation also silently installs services and drivers, some of which are unsigned... Thanks for your recommendations and your kind efforts.

That said, I have tested a few other options (I found PC Tools Firewall Plus v7.0.0.123 to be very nice too) and reassessed some of the previously tested firewalls.

I concluded that Simplewall (barely 1 MB of footprint) sufficiently addresses my concrete needs.

I intend to keep Simplewall on trial for a couple of weeks before calling it a winner, but should any additional suggestions arrive on this thread, I will be very grateful and eager to test further :)

Simplewall v3.6.7 (last version for Windows 7)
Simplewall v3.7.7 (for Windows 8.1+)

Screenshot02218.thumb.png.05311829293a554db1992454c4e3765c.pngScreenshot02219.thumb.png.460ecd99855055832bbb8148a1dff350.png

• Like 2

Archimede
23 hours ago, kevinzou said:

I vote: Simplewall

Hi kevinzou, I am grateful you insisted to recommend Simplewall and I admit it is absolutely brilliant and effective... During the next couple of weeks I will keep my eyes open for any other suggestions before marking the solution post ;)

Thanks once again