Dead Harddisk

donkey-girl

As topic says

What to do with my WD Green intern harddrive 3 TB seems really dead my pc refuse to read it and as soon I connect the disk I get blue screen, unpluck it and put it in my dock and the same it wont read it adt got pop up with wrong parameter, can I do some other thing so it can be read and get my stuff out from the disk, also tried it on other computer no luck. The disk havent been droped on the floor or things like that. I,m not going to pay a fancy cars price for get the stuff. Just something I maybe can try my self here at home.

Finaly found a way to open the disk so here is info from crystal disk, guess the wd disk is no good to use but still keep it in a box :) let me know what to do or not do with it. Thanks in advance. BTW its not the first time I have problem with that wd disk bu it have been spinning without probs for over a year until now where it give up. Ps its running now and I got empty the disk with som dificulty and some errors on its way most stuff is just ok some not but it can be replaced.

Kingston 120 GB SSD CrystalDiskInfo_20231111172306.png

WD 3 TB CrystalDiskInfo_20231111172059.png

from that wd back up data and not use it after death it needs to be replaced

Thats what I have done, all data is almost intact and kopied to new HD, That wd HD I guess will only give me problem another time and  is not usefull any more så I will destroy the disk now its total empty. Is that what you will sugest me to do?

That I will be doing, I also dont count on any program to fix that HD,so it will be going to be destruated.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/13/2023 at 1:26 PM, donkey-girl said:

Thats what I have done, all data is almost intact and kopied to new HD, That wd HD I guess will only give me problem another time and  is not usefull any more så I will destroy the disk now its total empty. Is that what you will sugest me to do?

Easy enough to physically destroy it: just few srews to open it, then holes, burning or bending of the disks. For the paranoid ones.

On 11/26/2023 at 11:34 PM, Notam said:

Got a 2 TB HDD. its not being detected by my PC. Tried swapping but not being detected. have a lot of data on it. Any help

Perhaps opening a new topic and posting your problem separately along with some more info would be the best first step in order to receive help.

Edited by DLord
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Notam said:

Got a 2 TB HDD. its not being detected by my PC. Tried swapping but not being detected. have a lot of data on it. Any help

No need to hijack my topic, so please open a new topic with your problems, Thanks in advance.

Edited by donkey-girl

• 2 months later...

You could try creating a LiveUsb of a Linux distro (i suggest Bodhi linux) and boot from the LiveUSB).

If you have a Windows PC available, you could use Rufus to create the bootable liveusb.

See: < https://trendoceans.com/how-to-create-a-bootable-usb-using-rufus-for-linux-distributions/ >

Download Bodhi linux ISO from: < https://www.bodhilinux.com/download/ >

Then boot from liveusb and see if it recognizes your hard disk, if it does you could copy your data to another drive.  If not, your drive is dead.

Worth trying!

• Like 2