Ad blockers violate YouTube's Terms of Service? How to Fix it?

shasi

hi today I got message on my chrome browser saying this - can anyone know how to fix these issues as I am using ublock origin extension.

Ad blockers violate YouTube's Terms of Service

• It looks like you may be using an ad blocker. Video playback is blocked unless YouTube is allowlisted or the ad blocker is disabled.
  • Ads allow YouTube to be used by billions worldwide.
  • You can go ad-free with YouTube Premium, and creators can still get paid from your subscription.

I am not facing any issue on android devices as iam using YouTube ReVanced Advanced and facing no issues with it - this is what I use in android devices https://androjungle.com/youtube-revanced-advanced/

please help me fix the issue on desktop devices.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is going to be a moving target as google tries to circumvent advert blockers. I use uBlock Origin and it is doing well blocking them at the moment. See these two recent posts here:

I also use a Pi-hole for local DNS filtering, but that is ineffective in this case of course. It still stops a lot of other adverts before they even reach the browser.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sorry, moved this topic to Security & Privacy Center, fits better. Left a link in Guides & Tutorials to point to it here, will remain for 30 days.

—-

There’s some good reading in these weekly Reddit threads by uBO…

The Google/YouTube bullies don’t have a chance. Plenty of smarter folks out here who will find ways around whatever they throw at us. :)

• Karlston changed the title to Ad blockers violate YouTube's Terms of Service? How to Fix it?
1 hour ago, Karlston said:

There’s some good reading in these weekly Reddit threads by uBO…

Follow the instructions found there to the letter and you should be fine. No popups for 24hrs :notworthy:

Ive had some pop ups this last 24 hours but refreshing the page removed the warnings

Screenshot2023-10-18at12-24-24LIVE-QNAPTBS464-4BayM.2NVMeSSDNASbook-Walkthrough-TuesdayOctober172023.thumb.png.b73cc78f6b97c905cccac54826462bc6.png

• Like 2

YouTube has now blocked me from playing videos unless I disable adblocking or pay for YouTube Premium. Nope…

After a bit of reading it seems that it's only in tabs where you're logged into YouTube that the popups and possible restrictions happen.

This works for me.. if your browser supports private tabs/windows (I think they all do now)...

Have one (not private) tab/window open logged into YouTube (subscriptions is a good choice) and another (private) tab/window not logged into YouTube.

In the (not private) tab/window, copy the link of a video you want to see.

Move to the (private) tab/window, paste the link there and it'll play fine. The adblocking (by uBO or AdGuard or ...) should still happen in private tabs/windows so all the usual YT ads are still removed. All browsers should work the same.

• Like 1

There's a good FAQ about all this here... https://www.reddit.com/r/uBlockOrigin/wiki/solutions/youtube/detection-faq/

The current weekly uBO thread I posted above can be accessed using this link... https://www.reddit.com/r/uBlockOrigin/about/sticky?num=2

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As @Karlston mentioned, private tab seems to work (hopefully for most?), but logged in, Nope.  (F5, still works for me)
The image below is from the url that Karston posted above. Let's wait for a concrete fix that works permanently in all modes.

u-BO-be-patient-and-wait.jpg

source

• Like 3

Youtube Ad Cleaner(Include Non-Skippable Ads- works)

(Be Tested Daily) Bypass all youtube ads (skippable and non-skippable Ads) plus download youtube video on the fly

A script to be used with tampermonkey. Just click the install button and if you don't have the proper software a popup with links to it will appear.

I couldn't use YT anymore but this removed that damnable warning!!

You need to completely disable any ad blockers to work. It's been holding fine since yesterday. You can surf while logged on.

Greasy Fork source:  https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/386925-youtube-ad-cleaner-include-non-skippable-ads-works

Source : https://www.reddit.com/r/uBlockOrigin/comments/17bvvwd/seems_like_youtube_might_have_to_stop_with_what/

Seems like youtube might have to stop with what they are doing?

j00jwxm628vb1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Google/YouTube seems to have taken pity on me and my access is back to normal. No popups telling me that Ad blockers are not allowed or threatening to remove the player.

Don't care whether they reinstate it or not, using a public (logged into YouTube) tab to list the videos and a private (not logged in to YouTube) tab to watch them is a simple and easy fix.

• Like 3

New uBO Reddit thread...

Also, it seems AdGuard is doing a bit too. Still unable to play videos (am at Stage 4 in the above thread) in a public tab, but the ugly Google notification is gone.

Still using a private tab to successfully watch videos, with minor inconvenience.

Can I somehow check if uBO's filters are up to date?

Certainly! Please visit

https://drhyperion451.github.io/does-uBO-bypass-yt/

If it's green, the ID matches, which means the filters were updated already for the latest script.

firefox-g89p0-HKj6-X.png

On 10/18/2023 at 10:30 AM, shasi said:

hi today I got message on my chrome browser saying this - can anyone know how to fix these issues as I am using ublock origin extension.

Ad blockers violate YouTube's Terms of Service

• It looks like you may be using an ad blocker. Video playback is blocked unless YouTube is allowlisted or the ad blocker is disabled.
  • Ads allow YouTube to be used by billions worldwide.
  • You can go ad-free with YouTube Premium, and creators can still get paid from your subscription.

I am not facing any issue on android devices as iam using YouTube ReVanced Advanced and facing no issues with it - this is what I use in android devices https://androjungle.com/youtube-revanced-advanced/

please help me fix the issue on desktop devices.

HI. First of all, check in your Chrome browser settings that advanced protection is not active (Path: Settings/privacy and security/security). Advanced security gives Google the ability to better spy on your browser's situation. Then I advise you to adopt "fadblock" for YouTube, which can be downloaded "at least for the moment" from the same Google store. It's a plugin that, in simple terms, serves to make Google believe that you watch YouTube videos with advertising, although the plugin bypasses it. Personally, since I adopted these countermeasures, I no longer have any problems. Then pay attention to Chrome updates: when it updates, Chrome tends to change some privacy settings... always check after each browser update.

Since my last post here (Oct. 25th) uBlock Origin has been working fine with only twice did I have to purge the caches and update.

I'm using some user added filters and one addon to rid myself of tik tok shorts. And it still works! For now.

It's uBO's "Quick fixes" filters that does the trick. From the uBO Dashboard's Filter List tab...

z3V4XRp.png

Just tested it with AdGuard for iOS on my iPad, seems to work fine. If you want to try it, add the filter...

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/uBlockOrigin/uAssets/master/filters/quick-fixes.txt

... to AdGuard. Like with uBO update it as necessary, it's been reported that Google/YouTube change their adblocker detection script twice per day.