Office licence

tistou77

Hello

We are going to change laptop and want to recover the Office license installed on the old laptop to install Office on the new one, but we can no longer find the box and activation code.
Is there any software or something else to recover the activation code ?

Thanks for your help

@tistou77

Your license is linked to your Microsoft account and there it is.
The only thing you should do is remove the old computer from your account, otherwise your Office may not be activated on the new machine. There is usually limit of activations or/and computers.
If you used an old version of Office that you bought with an activation key, the key is with the Office you bought, if you bought it online, it is in your email inbox.
But also, it is worth checking that it is not linked to your old computer in the Microsoft account. Otherwise, at some point the maximum number of activations will be reached and you will not be able to activate more on the new computer.
Since you didn't say which activation you had or which Office you're talking about, it's impossible to say anything more precisely.
Visit Your account - https://account.microsoft.com/

@Kalju 

Thanks for your help but if it were that simple 😄
No MS account, Windows installed with local account

The activation code is in the box and we cannot find the box
Hence my question in the first post.

@tistou77

Well then, be nice enough to tell me what Office it is or was and how it was activated. There is a big difference whether it was, for example, retail or volume version activation or even something else. Did you used usual key or online activation, or also whether it was enterprise, professional, etc.
If You don't know or don't remember, use something new and if don't want to pay for new one, you can use some other method for activation. There is several of them.

It's Office 2016 box version, if I remember correctly (purchased commercially) and activated with a code
I guess it doesn't matter what version of Office, if there is software (or if the code is stored in a registry key), it should be fine

@tistou77 I could be wrong, but I can't remember exactly if it was Office 2007 or 2010, which were the last ones to have the activation key stored in the registry.
Later, only the digital ID is stored in the registery and there is no activation keys.

6 hours ago, tistou77 said:

It's Office 2016 box version, if I remember correctly (purchased commercially) and activated with a code
I guess it doesn't matter what version of Office, if there is software (or if the code is stored in a registry key), it should be fine

I'm not sure if this supports Office 2016 or not, but you might try it out >ProduKey

Edited by bigbrother

MasterFaster

Create an online Microsoft account on your old laptop, so that your licenses are registered to your account (while online restart and login with the microsoft account a couple of times) . Then on the new laptop you can install with offline account but you can later login to your online microsoft account to be able to activate.

Edited by MasterFaster