IT's 'Love Affair' With Windows XP Ending

Lite

• Administrator

Businesses are finally prying their hands from Microsoft 's Windows XP as they warm to Windows 7 .

"Over the years, IT has had a real love affair with XP," said Diane Hagglund, an analyst at Dimensional Research, which surveyed 923 IT professionals about their Windows operating system adoption plans in January. "It was just a great OS. It just worked for them. But that feeling is going away."

In the new study, 40% of the respondents said that they're worried about the hassles of maintaining the nearly nine-year-old Windows XP as it gets increasingly outdated -- up from 28% in an April 2009 Dimensional survey.

Meanwhile, 60% of the respondents said they're worried about the cost and overhead of migrating to Windows 7, but that figure is down from 72% last year.

"IT is still more worried about Windows 7 than XP, but the trend is favoring Windows 7," the study said.

Confidence in Windows 7 has climbed since it shipped. Last April, 67% of those polled said they had concerns about Windows 7, which had not yet been released; this year, only 56% said they did.

"The difference was the release of the operating system, the biggest part of that from hands-on experience," Hagglund said, explaining why some in IT have changed their minds about Windows 7. "They're trying it at home, many of them, long before it comes to them professionally, so they know what it's like."

view.gif View: Original Article

• Replies 7
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

quite good and correct overview, but my "Old love"- XP will be in good memories... might need to reinstall one anyway for the sake of my phone soft, else is just memory :wub:

I still am keeping a copy around until it totally goes obsolete.. then its shred time.. Just like Vista...

EDIT: Now if we could just clean up the net with all those dirty little 95 and NT apps... postings and goings on... ( I would not want that job )

Captain Blood

All that is very true indeed, despite the fact that Seven's implementation of x86_64 apps (which rate among apps remains much higher than x64) looks quite dirty (dedicated directory and so forth ...)

Maybe I should wait for a fix for WindowBlinds 7... I just don't like Windows 7 theme ^_^

Biz YOU absolutley HAVE to use the new Version of VistaGlazz..( Like UXTheme Patcher for XP with one or two additional files to replace - 2.1 I think ).. Then you should grab a little program called Windows Start Changer... This will allow you to use some of the new styles available... I actually am using APPOWS from deviantart.. ( Peek ) Look almost the same as my OS before Windows 7.. I don't have Aero enabled and it handles everything the same as if there was no extra apps there.. I have left the Explorer.exe changing out of the picture and decided to use the WSBC for the Start Orb. ( basically like ResHacking, which you can do to take a start orb out and use it for your own Explorer.exe ) Replaced the ExplorerFrame.dll to one I like.. ( I think from Windows 7 Pro.. ) and a few little tweaks in the normal Style Properties.. and I have what I want.. there are quite a few out there for Windows 7 already.. Pretty simple.. and takes no more CPU than running the system.. I also use TrueTransparency.. just to put a nice finish on it.. but not all the time..

Anyway.. I know WindowdsBlinds is robust... but I found my happiness without it.. :thumbsup: If it was up to me I would have it front paged, with some references for Style Resources.. Really great!..

( I don't recommend other Patchers either, everyone I have tried other than VistaGlazz.. causes a boot error.. - could have been my test system as well )

quite good and correct overview, but my "Old love"- XP will be in good memories... might need to reinstall one anyway for the sake of my phone soft, else is just memory :wub:

Windows XP Mode will do the job

@heath28m:

Nah, I don't want to modify any files... except some files that definitely need some tweaking :P

Archived