How to deep scan my hardrive without burning it?

Fame

I need to recover some long deleted files from my WD Elements 5TB hard drive because the quick scan is unable to find the file I am looking for. The problem is whenever I attach my hardrive to my Laptop, it becomes very hot within minutes and deep scan takes a lot of time. I am afraid letting it deepscan for  hours would burn my hardrive before I can get my files back. How can I perform full deep scan of my harddrive without burning/damaging the drive itself?

I use 4DDIG for data recovery. Is it possible to scan the drive in parts somehow? Is there any other software that I can use?

TheEmpathicEar

What are the specs for your laptop?? 😗 I never heard of a laptop "burning", unless it's old tech?

47 minutes ago, TheEmpathicEar said:

What are the specs for your laptop?? 😗 I never heard of a laptop "burning", unless it's old tech?

It's ideapad330S. 8GB RAM, 500GB internal ssd harddrive. It doesn't catch fire but anything I plug into usb port becomes very hot whether pen drive or hard drive. I suspect some of my harddrives and pen drives to have stopped functioning because of this, therefore I don't keep the external harddrive connected for more than a few minutes.

Not many options. You have to run it anyways. Try standing it on it's side to minimize surface contact and put a fan next to it.

Do you have an external fan setup for your laptop? That could help.

Best of luck.

I agree with lurch 234.  My external hard drives run very hot when I use them for extended periods.  I put a fan next to them which helps a lot

15 hours ago, Fame said:

It's ideapad330S. 8GB RAM, 500GB internal ssd harddrive. It doesn't catch fire but anything I plug into usb port becomes very hot whether pen drive or hard drive. I suspect some of my harddrives and pen drives to have stopped functioning because of this, therefore I don't keep the external harddrive connected for more than a few minutes.

If your story is true that all the devices connected to the USB port are overheating, then it makes sense to check the voltage from the USB port. It must be 5V and under no circumstances more, rather a little less, i.e. for example 4.9 V
If you have more, that's probably a problem and this is very hard to fix.

It sounds like its drawing a lot of power maybe get an adapter to supply the drive with external power so it doesnt pull as much from the laptop.

Edited by Arachnoid

16 hours ago, Kalju said:

If your story is true that all the devices connected to the USB port are overheating, then it makes sense to check the voltage from the USB port. It must be 5V and under no circumstances more, rather a little less, i.e. for example 4.9 V
If you have more, that's probably a problem and this is very hard to fix.

How do i check the voltage of USB port? Multimetre?

17 hours ago, Fame said:

How do i check the voltage of USB port? Multimetre?

A USB power tester. Different price range. But if that's the problem you won't solve this yourself.

You could try a technician that gives estimates. They should have those tools.

The power pins on the USB connector are easy to identify as they are longer than the data pins. This is so that they mate first and ensures that the power is connected before the data.

If you already have a multimeter with small probes, what about using it between those power pins, without shorting the probes together?

Edit: before using 'tools', what about checking your usb output with softwares like USBDeview (https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html)?

Edited by mp68terr