Barbie heads to the real world in new trailer

Karlston

Come on, Barbie, let’s go party. (And think about our mortality.)

It seems like the theme of this year in film might be “existential crisis.” Fresh off the release of Beau Is Afraid and a new trailer for Problemista, we have the latest clip of Greta Gerwig’s Barbie movie. It shows the main Barbie (Margot Robbie) planning for a trip to the real world, brought on by an existential crisis that started because she put her heels on the ground — literally. Before she leaves, though, she has to put on a gigantic bash. At one point during the party, she asks, “Do you guys ever think about dying?” Barbie has never been so relatable.

As a reminder, the Barbie movie has a gigantic cast that also includes:

• Ryan Gosling
  • America Ferrera
  • Kate McKinnon
  • Michael Cera
  • Ariana Greenblatt
  • Issa Rae
  • Rhea Perlman
  • Will Ferrell
  • Ana Cruz Kayne
  • Emma Mackey
  • Hari Nef
  • Alexandra Shipp
  • Kingsley Ben-Adir
  • Simu Liu
  • Ncuti Gatwa
  • Scott Evans
  • Jamie Demetriou
  • Connor Swindells
  • Sharon Rooney
  • Nicola Coughlan
  • Ritu Arya
  • Dua Lipa
  • Helen Mirren

This is our third look at the movie, following a pair of teasers, and it seems to give the best sense of what it will actually be like — and how weird it will be. It hits theaters on July 21st. If you’re keeping track, that’s the same day as Christopher Nolan’s Oppenheimer, which should make for one hell of a double feature.

Barbie heads to the real world in new trailer

Got to confess after seeing that trailer, it looks to be a total turkey

and I predict it'll bomb at the box office.:w00t::w00t::w00t:

I wouldn't put too much money on that given the heavy hitters both behind and in front of the camera. I wasn't expecting to see that for something like this.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, rseiler said:

I wouldn't put too much money on that given the heavy hitters both behind and in front of the camera. I wasn't expecting to see that for something like this.

I agree that there are a lot of big money investors involved in bankrolling this movie,

but the main audience for a Barbie movie would be primarily little girls and that would

not bring in enough money to render a profit.

Now if the humour is more "mature" that will deter mothers from taking their girls to see it.

With all those big names involved in this movie it would need to turn a massive profit

just to pay them all and break even.

Remember the movie "Heaven's Gate"? It was tipped to be a huge hit with it's all star cast

and noted director (Michael Cimino if I remember correctly)...it bombed and the studio

behind it went bust....and that was a movie for a wider audience.

I wait to be proved wrong. lol:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

It's hard to get my head around Greta Gerwig being behind this, but then Helen Mirren is in it too, so up is down and down is up.

I can't recall how much above the budget a movie needs to make to turn a profit, but with a $100M budget, an expected PG-13 rating, ticket prices being what they are, a lot of kids applying pressure to see it, and it being a summer movie, it would have to be aggressively horrible (or like you say, somehow raunchy) not to at least get close.

Yes, I never saw Heaven's Gate but do recall it. It was playing a higher-risk game, with a 1980 budget of $44M and a much less-familiar subject (and punishing length) along with the big names.

• 2 months later...