New Matousec Results

Lite

• Administrator

Matousec tests various firewalls for performance vs leaktests. The latest set of results are now online.

Please read all the comments on the page before making judgment. Additionally tests like this shouldn't be the only reason to choose a particular product, stability, additional features and resource usage (amongst other things) should all be important as well.

Link

• Replies 22
  • Views 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
chlorophyll

why comodo internet security version 4 not included in tests??

BTW thanks for da news LITE :)

• Administrator

Hmm Online Armor Free looks good. Does it have HIPS?

They should have considered atleast v3.14 of Comodo. I guess they would use v4 in next tests.

• Administrator

Comodo Internet Security 3.12.111745.560 is used in the 84 tests section ;)

• Administrator

I know but of v3, v3.14 is the latest, not v3.12. ;)

And Comodo v3.12 gave me a lots of problems, both in stability and performance.

I've tried Comodo & Online Armor Premium but I always go back to PC Tools Firewall Plus! Simple & stable.

PC = Pirates Choice :ph34r:

chlorophyll

KIS rox (for a suite) ! :dance2:

++

:party:

Hmm Online Armor Free looks good. Does it have HIPS?

They should have considered atleast v3.14 of Comodo. I guess they would use v4 in next tests.

yes dkt ,

OA has HIPS .

i shifted to OA from comodo v3 , only recently .

n OA is good .

the firewall and HIPS are light , simple , easy but still strong ...

;)

• 4 weeks later...

2010-05-01: A single product update:

• Comodo Internet Security 4.0.141842.828

Comodo Internet Security 4.0.141842.828 reached the perfect score even against 148 tests. Comodo Internet Security is now the new leader of Proactive Security Challenge. Congratulations!

Comment by Comodo

2010-05-01 (Comodo Internet Security 4.0.141842.828 scored 100 % and took 1st place): With the latest set of tests, you have proven yourself as the only testing organization who is capable of assessing the prevention capabilities of the existing security suites by creating targeted dynamic tests rather than relying on the "outdated" static tests.

• Administrator

That's fabulous news. So I guess it's the time I switch to v4 now. :)

Night Owl

Comodo Internet Security 3.12 also scored 100% earlier:

2009-10-10 (Comodo Internet Security 3.12.111745.560 scored 100 % and took 1st place)

• 4 weeks later...
2010-05-23: New results have been published for:
  • Online Armor Premium 4.0.0.44
  • Online Solutions Security Suite 1.5.14905.0

Online Armor Premium confirmed its quality and reached the Excellent 97% score.

A very pleasant surprise is the result of Online Solutions Security Suite on its first appearance in Proactive Security Challenge. It took the second place with incredible 99 %, an Excellent level of protection. Very well done!

Anyone have more information about the motive that Matousec refused to test Defensewall Personal Firewall V3 ?

• Administrator
Hi everybody!

For those of you who were expecting Matousec's test of DefenseWall Personal Firewall, I have bad news- I got refused.

"Unfortunately, DefenseWall does not comply with this statement:

"This means that it allows its users to control selected actions of applications."

Other words, they didn't find "File and Registry Protection Excludes" dialog.

This is the only information i found too.. so resuming: Matousec tested Avast Firewall, Look'n'Stop (sometime ago), Avira and ESET firewalls which not have a full blow HIPS.. is packet filtering... but refuse to test a HIPS/Firewall because it not annoy you with popups..... I cannot understand this...

• Administrator

Its possibly $ related. Either that or they don't like the software :rolleyes:

Its possibly $ related. Either that or they don't like the software :rolleyes:

I don't know all the details about how Matousec do it's tests (since I not have much interest in it), but i heard something regarding a one time free testing for year (or something like that). But how you said, maybe Matousec just not liked the software.

This is the only information i found too.. so resuming: Matousec tested Avast Firewall, Look'n'Stop (sometime ago), Avira and ESET firewalls which not have a full blow HIPS.. is packet filtering... but refuse to test a HIPS/Firewall because it not annoy you with popups..... I cannot understand this...

so did they not test the software correctly?

Tested product: ESET Smart Security 4.0.417.0

Product vendor: ESET, LLC and ESET, spol. s.r.o.

Testing platform: Windows XP Service Pack 3

why i get the feeling they didnt use 64 bit systems? plus eset was done over a year ago and comodo may of this year. everythign should been tested on win 7 64. i m using vista 64 and for now stick with latest este ess. ill take this all in a grain of salt

@ myidisbb

I will not talk much... because sometime ago I already talked about it with another member and the chat ended in a non-friendly way... and i not wanna this occur again.

But my POV is:

First Matousec appeared how a "Firewall test", but without testing the Firewall capabilities...

Now is a "Proactive Security Challenge" , testing softwares that not intend to protect against what they test....

How you put ESET, Avast, Avira and Look'n'Stop in a test, if this apps not intend to protect against the tested parameters? Now Avira and Avast have a Behavior Blocker, so maybe is right to test it now.... but again.... i not see this modules designed to protect against registry modifications (only key ones maybe?), process injection, side-by-side infections, memory manipulation and stuff like this. So is not right compare different softwares with different intentions in the same methodology.

HIPS is good if you have technical knowledge. A "common people" executing a crack for their preferred game most probably will not ready (even if ready will not understand all prompts) and probably will say: "Ow not annoy me now - I wanna play" and click : yes, yes, yes, yes and yes. When you test a HIPS against a know malicious software is one thing.... analyze the malicious behavior from one thing that you not have sure if it's malicious or no, is another. But this is only my 2 cents. Not take it seriously.

Regarding the test be performed in win7 x64, most of the testes will not work by default I think, because of the kernel patch protection, and some others if you not elevate to ADM and answer the UAC prompt, will not work too. But I not have sure.

The ESET test is a one year old because ESET not wanna pay Matousec to perform the test against the new version maybe (since probably they not give importance for the test).

• 2 months later...
  • 2010-09-07: New results have been published for:
    • Kaspersky Internet Security 2011 11.0.1.400
    • Privatefirewall 7.0.21.1

Kaspersky Internet Security 2011 comes with improvements again. Today it reaches the Excellent level of protection in our challenge with its result of 92 %. Good job!

The new version of Privatefirewall is also improved. Its today's result is 86 %, which we classify as a Very good result.[*]2010-09-07: Online Armor products have been temporarily disqualified from Proactive Security Challenge.

• 4 months later...

2011-01-25: A single product update:
  • PC Tools Internet Security 2011 8.0.0.623

PC Tools Internet Security replaces PC Tools Firewall Plus in our challenge. The last version of PC Tools Firewall Plus we have tested in Proactive Security Challenge scored 51 %. PC Tools Internet Security 2011 8.0.0.623 scored 99 % – great improvements in the product's security led to the Excellent level of protection. PC Tools Internet Security is now on the second place in Proactive Security Challenge. Well done!

Archived