MAC OR PC

danryo

I want to buy a new computer for traveling and work most of my friennds are telling me Mac is te way to go. But I have been a big PC follower is it time for me to jump te steve jobs mania ?

• Replies 23
  • Views 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Even my cousin says that it's easy and good. But saying that and implementing is quite different. You can try Mac, but in the end, I'll say it's better to stick what is best for you. ;)

I'd say just go with a PC... But I guess you could try Mac, I can't really judge it without trying it, can I?

Sl@pSh0ck™

to get the best of both worlds ... buy a Mac and load windows 7 on it :)

I want to buy a new computer for traveling and work most of my friennds are telling me Mac is te way to go. But I have been a big PC follower is it time for me to jump te steve jobs mania ?

Let me get right to it. You said for work. Who will provide the technical support when you have problems?

Lastly, the bottom line is money. If you have the money and don't have the time, then go with a Mac. (This is not to say that Windows is full of problems. The real fact is that, a Mac is limited. You can get only so many different configurations with a Mac. This is the same as if you were to buy a Dell or a HP. You only get limited configurations because they have tested them to make sure that the configurations work.)

If you have the money and don't want to waste it, then go with a PC.

PS:

Personally, given every thing being equal, I would hire a PC person over a Mac because a PC person is more flexible and can probably handle stress better.

I don't get it. The best of both worlds would be to get a PC and keep your money.

I don't get it. The best of both worlds would be to get a PC and keep your money.

+1 :lol:

Mac hardware is PC hardware but more expensive.

++

• Administrator

You pay a substantial premium for that little Apple symbol.

PC is the way to go in my opinion as they are essentially the same hardware.

You pay a substantial premium for that little Apple symbol.

PC is the way to go in my opinion as they are essentially the same hardware.

Agree with the above two posts,mac looks & feels kind of kool but a pc is more flexible.But then this has been a very old and a long debate since i dont know when.

Makes no sense dude. Better to buy a PC and load mac OS on it. :lol:

Remember, Apple finally realised they suck at making CPU so they called Intel, same with GPU they called nvidia. Therefore any intel based PC will support mac OS.

Typical myths and other thoughts:

• mac... it just works - WRONG, mac OS receives updates every few days for security flaws and bugs just like Windows and any other currently supported OS.
  • there are no viruses for mac - WRONG, there are many viruses but mac is based on rock solid UNIX platform which inherently prevents rogue executions unless you explicitly run the virus or you use the root account carelessly.
  • mac runs super cool - WRONG, macbook pro and others with the aluminium unibody with regular CPUs run at 70C average, enough to fry your testicles or light your bed on fire, some have no active cooling fans whatsoever and rely purely on the conductivity of the metal chassis.
  • all male mac users are emo or gay - true until proven false. :lol:
  • All mac users are full of it - totally true, even if you are normal before buying a mac once you buy one you become full of it. This behaviour comes about because mac buyers refuse to come to terms with the fact that they just bought 5 year old computer hardware for 5 times the cost so the only thing left to do is convince themselves that they didn't waste money thus developing a superiority complex to annoy everyone.

Exception to every logical rule: If your ego is extremely huge then a mac is for you. No questions asked, huge ego and mac go hand in hand. :D

• Administrator

Agree with the above two posts,mac looks & feels kind of kool but a pc is more flexible.But then this has been a very old and a long debate since i dont know when.

Well previously they both used to use different hardware(Macs used to use PowerPC hardware), so the debate would be different previously. Now they use the same hardware, it makes the debates a little more one-sided.

Hmm, I heard that MAC's would be good if you design a lot. It's a great something for designing studies.

Hmm, I heard that MAC's would be good if you design a lot. It's a great something for designing studies.

This isn't true, maybe it was true in 1980 or something and it got stuck with people but in 2010 I can tell you for certain it isn't true.

Just to list some examples that I am familiar with:

Adobe master suite performs better on Win7 x64. I don't even know if a mac version exists.

Maxon Cinema 4d is made for Windows.

Sony Vegas is made for Windows.

Autodesk 3ds max is made for Windows.

CinemaCraft professional HD video encoders are made for Windows.

Autodesk Maya is compatible with mac and linux but it performs better on Win7 x64.

Newtek Lightwave 3d is made for Windows and optimised for x64.

Those are the tools used by the pros in Hollywood, I guarantee it is very rare to find anyone still using mac to render graphics. In truth a normal pc or mac does not even have the fire power to render the graphics, most people in the graphics business lease resources from something called render farms. However you can manage some rendering yourself if you use a top multicore cpu with Ati FireGL or Nvidia Quadro on a 64 bit OS. The benchmarks favour Ati FireGL of course whereas the Quardo that under performs costs twice the price of an ATi.

You need to compare oranges with oranges.

Look at the specifications in a Mac and then compare them to the specifications in the PC.

Processor

Ram

Hard Drive

GPU

Motherboard

The main differences would be the OS and price.

Now you need to ask yourself.

1. Do I want to pay more for an OS that has less flexibility? If yes, then get a Mac.

2. Do I want to pay less for an OS with greater flexibility? If yes, then get a PC.

All mac users are full of it - totally true, even if you are normal before buying a mac once you buy one you become full of it. This behaviour comes about because mac buyers refuse to come to terms with the fact that they just bought 5 year old computer hardware for 5 times the cost so the only thing left to do is convince themselves that they didn't waste money thus developing a superiority complex to annoy everyone.

This is a sad fact. From here onward, Mac users live in a state of denial.

I suppose one argument is that you can have the best of both worlds by buying a PC without any OS. Then hackintosh it to install Mac on it but this only works on certain systems.

Mac customer to Mac support--how the hell do i do this on a mac?

Mac Support-- Sorry Sir u just cant do this on a mac (Cos its a mac)

@danryo:

Go for a PC. You can always load MAC as a virtual OS anyway ^_^

@LeetPirate:

About the MAC myths: how very true

If you want example, just go to BetaNews and search for articles that has Windows or Mac on it.

I will echo most here in saying stick with a PC, especially if it is for work because you will have a much better chance that software is available for a PC then hoping the business software even exists for the MAC.....to take it one step further, this is the problem you are bound to have to deal with i.e. lack of programs written for the MAC....

• 4 weeks later...

You need to compare oranges with oranges.

Look at the specifications in a Mac and then compare them to the specifications in the PC.

Processor

Ram

Hard Drive

GPU

Motherboard

The main differences would be the OS and price.

Now you need to ask yourself.

1. Do I want to pay more for an OS that has less flexibility? If yes, then get a Mac.

2. Do I want to pay less for an OS with greater flexibility? If yes, then get a PC.

All mac users are full of it - totally true, even if you are normal before buying a mac once you buy one you become full of it. This behaviour comes about because mac buyers refuse to come to terms with the fact that they just bought 5 year old computer hardware for 5 times the cost so the only thing left to do is convince themselves that they didn't waste money thus developing a superiority complex to annoy everyone.

This is a sad fact. From here onward, Mac users live in a state of denial.

agreed.

:think: . . . . . . . . . . hmmmm, time to change them (I mean your friends.) :P

PC is the way to go for work.....Mac?....well, you can eat it on the go...I mean Big Mac!

PC is the way to go for work.....Mac?....well, you can eat it on the go...I mean Big Mac!

:lol: That's a good one!

Pretty much my sentiments exactly, haha.

When you buy a mac, you buy an OS with more limitations, and for some, that translates into security and reliability.

Wouldn't it be better using the platform you're used to, so time won't be lost just for adjusting when you could have used it productively?

Archived