FAT32 v NTFS.....

Fr.jack hackett

Fr.jack hackett

Guys, i've been reading up on converting 'C' drive to NTFS from FAT32 I understand that Xp can do this natively, Im more interested in your opinions about any possible probs the conversion could throw up and how would a pre-installed Home xp might react to the change of file spec?

A friend has an acer basic pc formated to FAT32 as it comes, (why F32? who knows) shes after cloning into a 250gb drive which I belive is beyond the capabilities of F32, thus a move to NTFS.

Answers on a Rizla Please :frusty:

• Replies 9
  • Views 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Answers on a Rizla Please :frusty:

ok what the heck does this mean rizlas' are rolling papers i know that, but answers on a rizla??????

Just go to the Command Prompt and execute the command:

C:\> CONVERT C: /fs:ntfs

Where C: is a name of the drive you want to convert.

After machine re-boot conversion process will start and you'll have your FAT32 converted to NTFS without of data loss.

fatntf1.jpg

NTFS provides a number of improvements over FAT32, including:

Second copy of boot sector for improved reliability

Compression

File permissions

Improved recoverability

Improved performance on large volumes

Improved efficiency in disk space utilization

Improved fault tolerance

None that I can find...

May be this

Performance of NTFS is Low on small volumes but its is High on Large

Performance of FAT32 its High on small volumes but it is Low on large

Fr.jack hackett

Thanks for the replys, I was more thinking along the lines of possible probs with a 'ready loaded' - non retail windows Home HD, ie recovery disc only. I've heard various stories of pre-installs giving up the ghost upon hardware changes etc. I was only wondering if there are anything I should be aware of. :frusty:

APC, the Rizla thing is Colloquial English, English. As in: 'to the point, or 'brief and to the point'.

Can also be expressed as 'On the back of a fag (cigarette) Packet' or 'Back of a used envelope' etc etc. :)

Recovery disc..

Now if you have 2 options like full recovery and partial recovery then a

Full Recovery I believe should bring the system back to FAT file system

Partial Recovery I believe would not change the file system...

Fr.jack hackett

clone first ( F32) then experiment on the clone. Nothing lost in nailing the clone to the wall eh! :-)

• 2 weeks later...
clone first ( F32) then experiment on the clone. Nothing lost in nailing the clone to the wall eh! :-)

:fist: rizla...i been speaking English all my life and never heard of that expression....nor has any friends who grew in Great Britain.... is that a new saying????? :fist:

Fr.jack hackett

Dmog, er perhaps its an East London thing (gor blimey guv'nor, apples an' pears) ? :-)

lol intersting conversation i live in ny im use to some pretty messed up sayings myself.. and i havent even used a fat 32 in so long last time ive even formated to it was for windows 98 wich was years ago when i last used it ( the new black person is ninja err i have no clue why but thats the new word for around here)

Fr.jack hackett

:rolleyes:

Glad to entertain Kavu.

Why did Acer format F32? :mellow:

anyway the drive is now NTFS :D shes gonna sort herself a drive, then Acronis True Image 8.0 to the rescue......

Archived