Need Help Opening Iphone

Fame
Go to solution Solved by bigbrother,

It's not my iphone but of my neighbours who somehow locked their phone and unable to open it for over a year. I have never used an iphone so I don't know how to open or reset it. I did google but it is not showing anything that can help. It doesn't even allow me to get in password screen. Can somebody help me open it? Thanks.

Below are the pics of the phone

IMG-20230206-160840.jpg

IMG-20230206-160613.jpg

• Replies 6
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fame

• bigbrother

• sigmaphi

• gandalf44

Top Posters In This Topic

"iPhone locked to owner" usually indicates the password has been tried too many times and the iPhone has been locked with GPS enabled to notify the true owner of its location.

Without sounding disrespectful, If "said" iPhone truly belongs to your neighbor (the Owner '... ...31'), the following is required:

1. Owner or someone who knows the associated Apple ID & password
  2. Computer with iTunes application
  3. Open iTunes
  4. Connect the iPhone to the computer
  5. iPhone may need to be put into DFU Mode (see Apple support)
  6. Unlock, reset and/or restore the iPhone using associated Apple ID & password

If this fails, the the owner will need to coordinate with Apple by providing some form of proof of purchase and/or ownership to said iPhone and have their Apple ID password reset.

Keep in mind, this happens all of the time given iPhone is the most popular phone in the world.

So, over the years, Apple has become somewhat reluctant to assist due to the significant amount of iPhones used, borrowed and/or taken.

Notes:

There are some unethical, some illegal ways to circumvent the iPhone lock.

However, the iPhone may get wiped and anything in the iPhones memory will be lost forever unless previously backed up to the iCloud.

~Good luck to you and your neighbor~

On 2/6/2023 at 8:27 PM, gandalf44 said:

Have you tried apple support?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204306

I have tried the instructions on apple support page but it didn't work. I don't see any iPhone is disabled message. No emergency option. Only the two screens that I have posted. I also tried to reset using Itunes but it doesn't enter into recovery mode.

On 2/6/2023 at 8:27 PM, gandalf44 said:

You could also try something like Aiseesoft iPhone Unlocker

https://www.aiseesoft.com/iphone-unlocker/

Gonna trying that right now.

16 hours ago, bigbrother said:

"iPhone locked to owner" usually indicates the password has been tried too many times and the iPhone has been locked with GPS enabled to notify the true owner of its location.

Without sounding disrespectful, If "said" iPhone truly belongs to your neighbor (the Owner '... ...31'),

They told me that it's a second hand and they were given the phone by the owner. They worked as housekeeper/servants but after parents of the owner died, they moved to another country. I have no way of knowing if they purchased the phone or stole it

. I am only trying to help in good faith.

(the Owner '... ...31'), the following is required:

1. Owner or someone who knows the associated Apple ID & password

31 is the last digit of the phone of the person who gave me the iPhone. So I am guessing that he really got the iPhone from original owner who set it up for him before selling it to him. The guy says the iPhone was locked by his kid who use to play with and had removed the fingerprint and changed the password and then forgot the password. They also don't remember the apple id and password.

• Computer with iTunes application
  • Open iTunes
  • Connect the iPhone to the computer
  • iPhone may need to be put into DFU Mode (see Apple support)
  • Unlock, reset and/or restore the iPhone using associated Apple ID & password

Bold part is where I am stuck. I am unable to enter DFU/Recovery mode. Always getting this screen below on connecting the cable with Home button pressed.

First the white screen with apple Logo

IMG-20230208-011013.jpg

then this,

IMG-20230208-011000.jpg

17 hours ago, bigbrother said:

If this fails, the the owner will need to coordinate with Apple by providing some form of proof of purchase and/or ownership to said iPhone and have their Apple ID password reset.

Keep in mind, this happens all of the time given iPhone is the most popular phone in the world.

So, over the years, Apple has become somewhat reluctant to assist due to the significant amount of iPhones used, borrowed and/or taken.

Yes, I checked that option and told him to bring me original bill/invoice so I can ask apple to reset it but because the original buyer has moved to another country and he might not have the invoice anymore. He said that he will ask the original buyer to provide receipt if he still has it but so far he hasn't.

17 hours ago, bigbrother said:

there are some unethical, some illegal ways to circumvent the iPhone lock.

However, the iPhone may get wiped and anything in the iPhones memory will be lost forever unless previously backed up to the iCloud.

The neighbour says there is nothing important. Just a few pictures. He doesn't mind if it gets erased. Important to have the phone unlocked by any means that doesn't cost money. The iPhone has been locked for more than a year and they have not taken it to mobile service/repair shops because they are asking a bit more money than they can pay with ease. They are poor people although they make more money than I do.

I also tried unlocking phone with 4Ukey but that too failed

TS4Ukey.thumb.jpg.f6d95a869ec1e7d0669d28ae98865351.jpg

• Solution

The first two screens in your original post indicate the iPhone has already been setup and locked by entering the incorrect password too many times before locking and sending GPS location to the original owner's Apple ID.

The later two screens indicate the iPhone has already been factory reset to defaults (by whatever means) and is now ready to be setup.

However, If you've already attempted to setup the iPhone and failed, then this is NOT a password issue but rather and IMEI/SN lock set by the previous owner(s), who possible considered the iPhone as lost/stolen.

If this is truly the case, then your ONLY option is to obtain the appropriate documents of ownership and coordinate with Apple to unlock the IMEI/SN.

Otherwise, the iPhone is simply a unusable!

~Good luck to you~

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/7/2023 at 9:56 PM, Fame said:

I have tried the instructions on apple support page but it didn't work. I don't see any iPhone is disabled message. No emergency option. Only the two screens that I have posted. I also tried to reset using Itunes but it doesn't enter into recovery mode.

Gonna trying that right now.

They told me that it's a second hand and they were given the phone by the owner. They worked as housekeeper/servants but after parents of the owner died, they moved to another country. I have no way of knowing if they purchased the phone or stole it

. I am only trying to help in good faith.

31 is the last digit of the phone of the person who gave me the iPhone. So I am guessing that he really got the iPhone from original owner who set it up for him before selling it to him. The guy says the iPhone was locked by his kid who use to play with and had removed the fingerprint and changed the password and then forgot the password. They also don't remember the apple id and password.

Bold part is where I am stuck. I am unable to enter DFU/Recovery mode. Always getting this screen below on connecting the cable with Home button pressed.

First the white screen with apple Logo

IMG-20230208-011013.jpg

then this,

IMG-20230208-011000.jpg

Yes, I checked that option and told him to bring me original bill/invoice so I can ask apple to reset it but because the original buyer has moved to another country and he might not have the invoice anymore. He said that he will ask the original buyer to provide receipt if he still has it but so far he hasn't.

The neighbour says there is nothing important. Just a few pictures. He doesn't mind if it gets erased. Important to have the phone unlocked by any means that doesn't cost money. The iPhone has been locked for more than a year and they have not taken it to mobile service/repair shops because they are asking a bit more money than they can pay with ease. They are poor people although they make more money than I do.

I also tried unlocking phone with 4Ukey but that too failed

TS4Ukey.thumb.jpg.f6d95a869ec1e7d0669d28ae98865351.jpg

Are you sure you not having the same problem here