Memory Question

zteph2000

Hi !

I want to upgrade my Mainboard with bigger memory, but I don´t know which mem to pick....

I have a Gigabyte Motherboard GA-H110M-S2H [DDR4] and 16 GB of memory with 2133 MHz.

I want to upgrade to 32 GB and don´t know if I can use also faster 2400 MHz memory without problem as it is written on the website of Gigabyte:

https://www.gigabyte.com/de/Motherboard/GA-H110M-S2HP-rev-10/sp#sp

Is this 2400 MHz memory substantially faster or should I better use the 2133 MHz memory instead ?

The mem I found is this, is it good ?

Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 2400MHz C14 XMP 2,0 High Performance Desktop Arbeitsspeicher Kit, Schwarz

Thanks in advance for your help !

+ZtEpH2000 

Edited by Matt
Removed text formart.

3 minutes ago, egoist said:

Your mainboard supports 2400Mhz memory but will automatically downgrade it to 2133Mhz.

Thanks for Info !

So I better buy 2133 MHz mem ? ok ?

Edited by zteph2000

Stay the way you are now, or upgrade to a new platform (motherboard + cpu) and buy the appropriate ram for that platform.

Tip: You can try to sell your cpu + mobo + ram, to cover a part of the expenses for the upgrade

For example you can buy a Ryzen 5600 and a B550 motherboard + 32GB DD4 3200MHz C16 RAM kit (or better)

Edited by MasterFaster

• 5 weeks later...

I'd suggest instead of spending money on extra RAM beyond 16GB, buy more modern motherboard and CPU so they are compatible with Device Guard settings in Windows and give you security features, that's the most important thing.

However, if you run multiple virtual machines (multiple Hyper-V VM, Windows subsystem for Android, Windows Sandbox etc. All at the same time) then 32GB RAM is perfectly justifiable in 2023.

Edited by HotCakeX

The motherboard supports 2400MHz, though it will probably require activating XMP in BIOS to get the advertised speeds.

If you have the budget however, it might be better to upgrade the mobo + cpu as 16GB is more than enough for normal workloads and gaming.

• 2 months later...