Need new firewall

kallejosef

Hi.

I need a firewall on my desktop computer.

On my laptop i'm currently using Comodo.

I wonder if you have any recommendations, because I have no idea, and there are very many to choose from.

Thank you

• Replies 17
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sl@pSh0ck™

Can you give us more info about your desktop, your internet connection and more info about your browsing habit? For all you know the built in windows firewall might be more than enough for you :blink:

@kallejosef .

i agree with nivrid .

( but the only windows firewall worth recommending ,is on windows 7 .... ;) )

but , on a more general note .

i was using comodo v3 on my laptop , and did use it for quite some time ,

until it was giving me some compatibility problems . ( was using too much cpu ....)

and then i shifted to Online Armor ( thanks to Leet's advice :) )

and i must admit ,

it is way lighter than comodo ( atleast in my case , coz i know others might say the contrary ....:P .. comodo is also not supposed to be a resource eater , but as i said ........)

and it is much simpler . a good HIPS too .

and almost same level of protection as comodo .

so right now its OA for me ,

will try the new comodo v4 , also in some time . will see , how it does this time on my pc.

one other firewall worth mentioning is PC tools firewall ..

its a new one and with good performance ...

experiment ...

;)

Sl@pSh0ck™

I wonder if it is possible to run ESS with Windows 7 Firewall at the same time..? Haven't tried it yet..

I'm not quite sure about this ... but if you install ESS it would deactivate windows firewall automatically? and running 2 firewalls at the same time is not a good idea they say. But currently I am running win7 firewall together w/ defensewall v3, the developer says it's compatible to run it with almost any other firewall.

@nivrid

is defensewall an integrated firewall with hips or is it a standalone hips application ??:think:

@heath

when i was using ESS , it did shut down Vista's firewall .

dont know how that works with win 7 ....

Sl@pSh0ck™

@nivrid

is defensewall an integrated firewall with hips or is it a standalone hips application ??:think:

defensewall v3 (currently on RC1) has a built in firewall and compatible to run w/ other 3rd party firewall

post-23431-126982022718_thumb.png

@nivrid

ok , so the v3 has a built in firewall ...

( no firewall in stable v2.56 ??? )

so how is it running on ur system ?

coz, i dont remember exactly , but read it some where in the forum or dont know where , that defensewall is heavy on system , slows the performance ....

is it so ?

and

how is its firewall as compared to comodo or OA ?? :think:

Sl@pSh0ck™

It's running pretty light on resources actually and it doesn't nag that much considering it's a HIPS w/ built in firewall ... it is still being developed (RC1) so comparing it's firewall component with Comodo or OA is a bit premature...but it's HIPS component is already proven and can be compared to comodo/OA's if not better.

ok nivrid ,

thanx for the info ...

;)

I wonder if it is possible to run ESS with Windows 7 Firewall at the same time..? Haven't tried it yet..

According to the ESS v4.2 User Guide:

Supersedes the Integrated Windows Firewall and interacts with the Windows Security Center to monitor security status. ESET Smart Security installation turns off the Windows firewall by default.

Hi.

I need a firewall on my desktop computer.

On my laptop i'm currently using Comodo.

I wonder if you have any recommendations, because I have no idea, and there are very many to choose from.

Thank you

I'd opt for Online Armor (Premium Edition.) You could always return to COMODO, after all the bugs are fixed. ;)

According to the ESS v4.2 User Guide:

Supersedes the Integrated Windows Firewall and interacts with the Windows Security Center to monitor security status. ESET Smart Security installation turns off the Windows firewall by default.

Yeah the thing is ... there is always a way..LOL but I am willing to bet it would turn off the ESS Firewall.. or screw something up..

Thanks for all the answers.

Some of you mention that it is enough with windows firewall.

I use the computer mostly for gaming and some school work ( microsoft Word) , nothing else really.

so I can just keep the windows firewall?? :)

I use my laptop to download, web browsing, chat, etc.

BTW, on my desktop computer I use Windows 7 ultimate , and windows XP on my laptop.

Thanks again. :)

I would say that you might be able to get by with it on 7.. on Windows XP I would go with an alternative Firewall.. or Internet Security Suite of some sort.. Stay with on of the Top three rated for best protection. Simple advice... and there are more in-depth tests you can run on your systems to ensure that you do not have vulnerabilities, holes, or flaws in your Configurations.. If you have Ultimate, or Professional Editions of Windows, make sure you do some research into how to use Group Policy or Local Security Policy to keep your system safe..

I agree with what most people say here

for win 7 the built in firewall is fine for what you are doing.

For win xp get a seperate one.

personally i just rely on my router, but thats me.

Archived