Web Browser Grand Prix: The Top Five Browsers , Tested And Ranked

majithia23

"The fastest browser on Earth."

That's what the Opera homepage has said since Tuesday. After five release candidates and two betas, the boys from Oslo just recently launched the final build of Opera 10.50. That's a pretty heavy claim to make, though, especially with well-establish competition already in the field demonstrating impressive performance at an unbeatably-low price. Does it hold up?

And although you might have missed it due to iPad hysteria, both Mozilla and Google recently released new versions of their browsers as well. Opera isn't the only one making bold statements on performance, either. In the days leading up to the unveiling of Apple's impossibly over-hyped slate, Mozilla dropped Firefox 3.6 and claimed a whopping 20% speed gain over version 3.5. Three days later, Google quietly unveiled Chrome 4.0 stable, though the actual version number is 4.0.249.78.

Let us not forget that Cupertino also offers a Web browser. In fact, Apple claims Safari is "the world's fastest Web browser." Sounds strangely familiar, doesn't it? Even Internet Explorer, which hasn't had a release since last year, is in the headlines lately. But it's the charges being leveled against IE that are drawing the most attention.

We've seen mounting pressure to abandon Microsoft's browser by everyone from Homeland Security to McAfee and Google--even some foreign governments. If it's so horrible, than why is anyone still using it? Is there a performance justification for why almost 60% of Internet users still cling to IE?

We decided that somebody needed to look at these browsers. So, we put all five major Web browsers through a gauntlet of benchmarks and time trials. We did this to conclusively answer the question: which is the fastest browser on Earth (at least until one of these companies launches another major update)?

the test---- Here

• Replies 16
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Opera (within a frame of few builds etc) but using it for a while, considering conveniences and performance so far...with no contest! B)

Firefox is not good here at all. I hope that they will improve it very soon. I would hate to be forced to change my browser, since I'm very used to Firefox.

Cheers ;)

The only thing Firefox kind of sucks at is javascript and we all kinda knew that, didn't we?

Chrome is cool, but I still consider it Beta... There's just some of these weird issues.

Opera, ah well, it just doesn't look cool :P

Firefox, I'm just a fanboy when talking about browsers, I guess.

Time for you to customize the UI.. hack a skin.. and do some appearance adjustments.. I always like the Simple Skin.. basic.. ( kind of waiting for it to come along for 10.5 but.. I have minimzed the panels and toolbars.. one thing I did always hate about Opera.. it had to much junk all over by default and I hated the way it handled window.. but I changed all of that.. Liking the new tab thing.. but like I said I am either going to eventually create a skin.. hack the one I am using ( IBIS INspire 3.20a ) .. or something.. I am hating the gradient on the tabs and bars right now.. bubbly soft and rounded.. not always the best approach.. still gives me the NT creeps..

EDIT: FF is my Main.. but I have started to like Opera a lot better recently.. and Iron/Chrome.. I feel does still need some work ... especially as far as clearing your cache and file on close.. and a few other areas.. but not bad though..

About Firefox 3.6.2 ( How I have done in order to make it run faster ) :-

1 ) - Installed cFosSpeed 5.10.1619 -» Final . (Frontpaged)

2 ) - Using « SpeedyFox 1.4.2.40 (do not need installation) --» ( it`s here at nsane)

3 ) - Installed Firefox Preloader 1.0.366 - ( 1 sec to start with Firefox )

4 ) - Installed «WasN´Go 2.4.3.1» a fast way to clean Firefox-cache

When I got the best conditions did a Backup of my OS. Everytime I leave NET, it takes 4 minutes to return to previous situation, so... It`s always fine for the next NET-session .

PS :- I can upload these proggy if you like...

Cheers !

Sl@pSh0ck™

I have always been a Firefox fanboy ... always will and always will be :ph34r:

hmmm...

yes the Chrome has done well this time ,

but FireFox is TheFireFox .

nothing to beat it .8)

let the FF 4.0 dawn ,

it would/should rule the roost !!

Chrome is good , i keep it as a back up browser ..

@jofre

thanks for the firefox preload mention .

so how do u launch the firefox ,

via preloader , where it says "open my home page"

or any which way we want,, ( i.e. from desktop or quick launch ) ? :think:

Google's Chrome UI is a lot like it's home page - very minimalist. It feels light and fast, but I think I'll stick with Firefox. I guess I turned into a Firefox fanboy without knowing it. :lol: Plus, I love Firefox's plugins especially the web developer toolbar.

• Administrator

Firefox is great. B)

Opera doesn't really satisfy me, even when it's far more ahead than anyone in browsing and javascript speed.

Based purely on grounds of browsing speeds, Tom certainly seems to have done a very good job. The secondary parameter, 'browsing speed' has been thoroughly tested and his findings are quite truthful and more than acceptable. The average Joe should be thrilled with that article. However, a true blooded :pirate: who spends most of his/her time surfing deadly sites would probably fail to be convinced. :unsure:

Tom would need to redo the war of the browsers after adding the more important primary parameter of security with all the browsers in combat outfit, not fully nude. BTW, upon donning military uniforms like NoScript, adBlock Plus, CookieSafe, etc., etc., the primary parameter, security IMO gets attenuated resulting in a blazing fast secondary parameter browsing . B)

Moral:

I don't think I'd have the courage to browse the net without an antiVirus in the nude (I mean the browser.) :P

The only thing Firefox kind of sucks at is javascript and we all kinda knew that, didn't we?

Chrome is cool, but I still consider it Beta... There's just some of these weird issues.

Opera, ah well, it just doesn't look cool :P

Firefox, I'm just a fanboy when talking about browsers, I guess.

Same :P nice to see someone else shares my opinion

SacredCultivator

Used to be a fan of Opera, but the UI just isn't appealing.

Chrome: I've tested, but just don't like its configurations, although the new add-on's are a nice touch

Firefox: What is there to say? It just works and I'm used to it.

Overall... Sure Chrome might out-rank all in the future, but for us, it's all about preference, and not necessarily the "best"

As this debate can go on and on like for the "Best" Anti-virus

Firefox just suits most of our needs, Chrome and Opera will have their fanbases as well.

Archived