Buying New Computer..

ejams

I'm spending around $3000.00(CAN) on a new computer system(monitor included.) and was wondering if I could get suggestions.

I use my computer alot for gaming, and music. And multimedia stuff. Is Alienware a way I could go? Or should I stay away from it?

• Replies 6
  • Views 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm spending around $3000.00(CAN) on a new computer system(monitor included.) and was wondering if I could get suggestions.

I use my computer alot for gaming, and music. And multimedia stuff. Is Alienware a way I could go? Or should I stay away from it?

make your own computer. you should be able to get the best just about in everything

I checked Alienware ..

I dont think you would get the best for $3000 from Alienware..

Heres the config for Dell XPS 700 For $2,859(believe taxes and shipping xtra)

Intel® Core™2 Duo processor E6400 (2.13GHz)

Genuine Windows® XP Media Center 2005 Edition with re-installation CD

2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz - 2 DIMMs

640GB Performance RAID 0 (2 x 320GB SATA 3Gb/s 7200 RPM HDDs)

Dual Drives: 16x DVD-ROM Drive + 16x DVD+/-RW w/ dbl layer write capable

20 inch UltraSharp™ 2007FPW Widescreen Digital Flat Panel

Dual 256MB nVidia GeForce 7900 GS

Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ XtremeMusic (D), w/Dolby® Digital 5.1

Dell AS501 10W Flat Panel Attached Spkrs for UltraSharp™ Flat Panels

Dell USB Keyboard

Dell Optical USB Mouse

An almost similar config would cost you more with Alienware

But your config should be along the above lines.

Check local prices for something similar ..

I believe you should be able to get something similar for less..

Along with the above proc you can also check the prices for Intel® Core™2 DuoE6600 and E6700

Now other thing you can check is Dual 512MB nVidia GeForce 7900 GTX (though Dual 256MB nVidia GeForce 7900 GS should be more than enough for quite some time now)

• 4 weeks later...

also my friend jsut recently paid around 4500 us for an alienware i didnt even think it was that great he did get a laptop tho still i think your paying more for a name with alienware id stick with dell myself to even though dell owns them, but their support... youll never find someone who speaks clear english lol..

Please for the love of God, build your own. Even if you have to pay a friend $200 to do it properly, that's $2800 to spend on all the parts, and delivery etc...

definitely build your own you could buy a computer for 3 thousand or build your own for the same price and get fantastically better computer(better stronger faster) just go to an independent computer store in your area and have a short talk with them on the benefits of NOT buying from Del or any of the other big names out there as opposed to building your own you will be amazed how much more computer you will get

edit: especially if your going to use it for gaming

Yes build your own ! I made the mistake (first PC) of buying a £1300 system back in 2003 from Evesham (UK). I have since built systems for family for a fraction of that price and how "out of date" that system got very quickly!

I am looking at doing a new system at the mo (if only I had come up with 'YouTube' :D)

E6600 Core 2 Duo

MSI 975X Platinum PE

Corsair Twin2X 2GB DDR2

Sapphire ATI Radeon X1900XT 512MB

Hiper HPU-4K580 Type R 580W

Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi XtremeMusic - OEM (optional)

Total - £780.63 + £56.99 for optional soundcard

An alternative system...

AMD Athlon 64 3700+

Hiper HPU-4K580 Type R 580W

DFI LanParty UT nF4 Ultra

Sapphire ATI Radeon X1900GT

Corsair TwinX 1GB DDR

Total - £436.93

ThanX Cataclysm=J from Exiled Gamers for pricing this for me :lol:

If you shop about you can get some real bargains! All you need is a philips screwdriver (and a slotted one) and an anti-static wristband and abit of patience and money! :lol: Plus you get the biggest kick of all (if it works - hehe). :D

Archived