Please help me to enable ADB debugging on Chromebook

Archimede

Hello :)

I want to sideload some apk files (that are not available on Playstore) without having to enable Developer Mode.

After turning on Linux and installing ADB via Linux terminal, I don't manage to enable the necessary ADB debugging. The "Develop Android Apps" option is not available in Linux settings and it is grayed out both in Settings and in Android preferences (System/Developer options).

I tried also: chrome://os-settings/crostini/androidAdb and that command does enable the ADB toggle but after the required restart, it says "Something Went Wrong" and ADB debugging remains disabled.

Device details: Dell 3180 Chromebook - Intel processor - ChromeOS 103.0.5060 64 bit - on stable channel - not enterprise enrolled - I own and manage it.

Many thanks in advance for any creative suggestion :)

Edited by Archimede

• Archimede changed the title to Please help me to enable ADB debugging on Chromebook

At a quick search i found this:

1. Navigate to Chromebook Settings. On the left menu, enable Linux (Beta).
  2. Once Linux is enabled, navigate to Settings again. 
  3. Click Linux, then under Develop Android Apps, select Enable the toggle for ADB Debugging.
  4. Restart your Chromebook.
  5. You will receive an ADB prompt after the reboot. Click Allow. In case ADB isn’t working, restart the Chromebook again. It should work then.
  6. Navigate to Terminal from your applications and type the following command. This will install ADB platform tools:
    sudo apt-get install android-tools-adb -y
  7. Once installation is complete, connect ADB with Linux on Chrome OS and enter this command on Terminal:
    adb connect 100.115.92.2:5555
    Make sure that you have a stable internet connection for this step.
  8. A prompt will ask you to Allow USB Debugging. Select Always Allow, then click OK.
    Note: If you get an error message “can’t connect to 100.115.92.2:5555 connection refused”, navigate to the Google Play Store and navigate to Manage Android Preferences. Go to System then About Device. Click on “Build Number” at least eight times continuously to enable Developer Options.
  9. Navigate to the System page and open Developer Options. Click enable ADB Debugging.

Note: If you receive a message these messages, enter “adb start-server” in Terminal. Return to Step 7:

• “Command Not Found”
  • “Permission Denied”

On 10/21/2022 at 8:47 PM, A2R14N said:

At a quick search i found this:

Thanks for your kind support, friend :)

I followed exactly the procedure you posted and yet, as stated in my original post, the "Develop Android Apps" option is not available in Linux settings and it is grayed out both in Settings and in Android preferences (System/Developer options).

I really hope somebody will soon suggest a hack to resolve the situation.

On 10/26/2022 at 2:22 AM, A2R14N said:

Oh, i found something on youtube and it's saying u need to enable CPU Virtualization in bios

Thanks for your continued support, friend :)

I suppose you are referring to the video titled "Missing Developer Options in ChromeOS Flex? Try This First!" available here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T69u3toGP8I

However please note that:

* On my Chromebook I am not missing Developer Options, I do not manage to enable ADB debugging

* That YouTube video refers to ChromeOS Flex, (which is an operating system for Macs and PCs) and the Windows system in that video has a BIOS

* Apparently most Chromebooks do not have a BIOS.

I was hoping my Chromebook did have a BIOS as I suspect that fiddling with the BIOS could finally allow me to enable ADB debugging.

Still searching for a suitable solution and I am very grateful that you and other nsane friends are actively contributing