Simple/easy sort of boot manager for directly using ISOs and/or VMs ??

smallhagrid

To be clear right from the start here, I have gotten superb results using Ventoy for USB sticks & I'm very happy with that.

Ventoy also may be installed onto a HDD - but I haven't tried that yet.

I'm a full-time Linux user now & having a tool set like PartedMagic to also be directly bootable from my HDD would be great.

So I wonder if anyone can confirm that Ventoy is able to be installed onto a HDD to use as a sort of boot manager as well, somehow ??

Having the ability to multi-boot with a bunch of tool ISOs and also an installed OS or 2 would be quite useful.

That would come as close as possible to having a sort of bare metal system with a bunch of bootable VMs, but minus the complications of the very limited technology at present for doing that.

Of course if there are other great & simple tools similar to Ventoy & NOT windoze-centered I'd love to hear about those too.

Thanks for any/all the helpful replies Folks !!

• Replies 2
  • Views 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smallhagrid

• gandalf44

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for your reply Gandalf44 !!

Actually I have tried & found that GRUB is really a PITA to get juuuust right.

Way back when (in the DOS/windoze days) there used to be boot managers that did nifty, extra stuff - but that era is long gone.

I actually sort of collected a bunch of those but the only one claiming to do some ISO booting was GRUB.

There's an IMer who posts useless sales videos on YT about the 'new way' to host multiple OSes & VMs on a single PC, but her stuff is really intolerably long winded with zero real info.