Origin PC stuffs 4.4GHz Core i7-980X, Fermi-based GTX 470 and 480 into Genesis desktop

Dennis1121

origin-pc-genesis-pc.jpg

Hope you didn't just pull the trigger on a new Origin PC Genesis, else you'll be forced to know that your rig was made obsolete in record time. Okay, maybe not obsolete, but there's precisely no doubt that you'd rather be rocking a new Fermi card than whatever you've got now. Right on cue, NVIDIA has launched its latest pair of powerhouse graphics cards, and as of right now, prospective Origin PC buyers can opt for either the GTX 470 or GTX 480 on the Genesis desktop. Better still, you can buy 'em in single, dual or triple SLI configurations, and in case you're down for paying the premium, a 4.4GHz overclocked Core i7-980X Extreme Edition CPU can sit alongside of it (or them).

Source

• Replies 11
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like heavy duty liquid cooling there. The over-clocked CPU and the graphics card must both get quite hot.

1200 W :fear:

see the fire is already on , Red is going all over the Mobo :lol:

nVidia rocks...

Maybe in the past.

Seeing as they are now.

nVidia rocks sucks :bag:

:yes:...

Four months after its launch, the ATI Radeon HD 5970 remains the undisputed performance leader. Six months after its launch, the ATI Radeon HD 5870 remains the clear winner at and below its price point. Add to that a top to bottom line-up of DirectX 11 graphics cards as well as cutting-edge features such as the immersive experience of ATI Eyefinity technology, and we are confident ATI Radeon graphics cards will continue to be the favorite choice of customers wanting the most advanced and efficient graphics products.

-Dave Erskine, AMD spokesperson

ATI Radeon 8)

nVidia used to be very good, i must admit i still use a BFG 260GTX, but have had problems with it only on Win 7 though :fear:

but am thinking of getting a new ATI card when the funds arrive, if they arrive....:sneaky:

nVidia used to be very good, i must admit i still use a BFG 260GTX, but have had problems with it only on Win 7 though :fear:

but am thinking of getting a new ATI card when the funds arrive, if they arrive....:sneaky:

Secret donation coming Hottwire's way. :sneaky:

But damn, that thing looks slick.

I need money. :(

Purple Trail

Via guru3rd.com

"Even so, when we tally up the results out of all titles tested, the GeForce GTX 480 wins nearly everywhere except in Anno 1404 and ironically 3DMark Vantage. There are scenarios where the GTX 480 is very close to the 5870, but there are also scenarios where the GTX 480 completely and utterly kicks the Radeon HD 5870 in the proverbial nuts. What surprised me was the fact that say from 1280x1024 up-to 1920x1200 NVIDIA seems stronger than the competition. And at 2560x1600 things tend to equalize a much more.

When we focus solely on the GTX 480 now for a minute, substandard and topic of discussion obviously has to be the TDP -- the card when stressed will utilize nearly 250 Watts and that certainly is pretty steep power consumption, especially compared to ATI's Radeon 5870 with a TDP of only 188W. You are going to need a decently ventilated PC as the heat the GeForce GTX 480 produces is plentiful. Make no mistake, the card will get hot, very hot. So that's definitely something you need to keep in the back of your head.

In the end though, the GeForce GTX 480 is a graphics card that kicks ass, it is without doubt the fastest single GPU based graphics card on the block. The performance is grand and impressive and well, it's just a sick card to play all modern games with at any resolution or image quality preference."

It seems to me, this card is similar to the Prescott CPU.

nVidia should work on the power consumption.

Archived