Is this Lenovo laptop good?

khanyash

Sure it is a good device ONLY IF IT SUITS/SERVES your need properly. If your looking for office or daily drive laptop without caring for extreme graphics then surely it is a good one. When I make a purchase of such devices i look for the following specs:

GPU (optional)

CPU (Gaming requires better CPU)

Clock speeds (Lower base and limit boost extends battery life, but a cost of performance.)

RAM (as per requirement 16GB min. in case of windows 11 to enjoy it fully.)

SSD (For stellar performance and quick boot up w/o hyberboot enabled) (Capacity depends on what you need) (High speeds a must to enjoy full potential of your system.)

Battey (Higher capacity for better time) 

LCD/LED panel (Color accurate for photoshop and video editing hence more expensive) (Normal no so high spec, for office and video playback)

Budget.

Edited by xkryptonx
  • Like 2

My biggest concern would be about the screen. 

14) FHD (1920 x 1080), IPS, Anti-Glare, Non-Touch, 45% NTSC, 300 Nits is a low cost screen.  It is decent for productivity work.  But, not for gaming or watching a lot of video.

• Like 1

Do you want an honest answer or do you want one you like?

• Okay - the price is high for what you get
  • RAM - sufficient, maybe even very good if you are not a gamer-maniac
  • Processor - considering the reality, not very good, rather satisfactory
  • GPU - so and so, don't know your needs
  • SSD/NVMe m.2 - good if Gen 4, but may be twice by the capacity
  • If the HDD is also included, it is quite pointless. Unfortunately for some it is added.
  • Win 11 Home - so and so, at this price there should be a Pro
  • Office Home and Student 2021 - completely useless because it is only pre-installed, not activated.
  • USB and other peripherals - satisfactory
  • Battery 3 cell, 56.5Wh, Upto 12 hours - enough, but this 12 hours is an absolute bluff and if you want to upgrade, you have to consider that only a special company's product (donät forgot BIOS white list)
  • Wi-Fi & Bluetooth - hard to judge, it can be satisfactory, but a lot depends on the Wi-Fi adapter
  • McAfee® LiveSafe™ (trial) - absolutely useless, even bad and very stupid add
  • In conclusion - it is satisfactory, maybe even good, for the average housewife. I'm not a gamer myself, but I would only buy if there's nothing better for the same money and I don't have time to wait and look for something better.
  • But keep in mind that you make the decision and you make it based on your needs, not based on my opinion and needs.
  • Some unsatisfactory things have already been listed above, I will not repeat them.
  • So it's a difficult decision you have to make, but if you really need it, these flaws are not the ones you should worry about not buying, because it's very difficult to find a completely or fully good finished product. And most of them can be fixed, but then the price will be at all other, not current but much higher.
  • Like 3

37 minutes ago, khanyash said:

What about this one? It seems good, but the camera is 720p only.

https://www.lenovo.com/in/en/laptops/yoga/yoga-s-series/Yoga-Slim-7-Pro-14ITL5/p/82NC00EWIN

Camera are 720 on most laptops these days. Asus on the other already axed camera on many flagship devices.

Personal experience: AMD has greater battery life compared to intel. If you are looking for better battery and good overall performance, i suggest AMD

Edit: The only advantage Intel has over AMD is thunderbolt port. Apart from that AMD is better in most department than Intel.

Edited by xkryptonx
  • Like 1

It is for my cousin. For his usage, 8GB RAM and a 512GB SSD is sufficient. What display type is adequate for watching videos? The budget is 60,000 INR.

Edited by khanyash

5 minutes ago, khanyash said:

What display type is adequate for watching videos? The budget is 60,000 INR.

in my view IPS , 2K resolution is enough for laptop users for watching movies

yoga slim is better than ideapad its good for watching movies and browsing

• Like 1

Should it be 100% sRGB for (enjoyable experience) watching videos? What about the "Nits"?

higher nits helps you to use the laptop in sunny days (good for outdoor uses)

400nits is average but i don't think so many laptop provides much nits

they are often below 400bits

i don't know much about new devices how much maximum nits they are providing these days

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, khanyash said:

Should it be 100% sRGB for an enjoyable experience watching videos? What about the "Nits"?

That spec is preferred for Video Editing and Photoshop. Video playback works on any screen. 300 nits is also fine for outdooor playback. Keeping the brightness around 80%.

• Like 1

From my point of view, the people must wait several years because even today the OLED cost remain too high sic... Specially true for any kind of laptop (Gaming, Desktop etc).

What's the drawback about the size (or the screen resolution) ?  The battery won't be able to provide an autonomy reliable (for example Asus is able to provide at least 10 hours but we kept the FullHD aka 1080p).

Basically I will avoid this brand (neither recommand the MSI (bad support etc)) because my latest purchase (Lenovo Legion 5 Pro in december 2021) was a complete failure sic...

When I had receive my new laptop, I was thinking I will find a solution. But I was wrong because the battery was damaged at the origin (this laptop can't hold even 1 hour inside the bios and that's a terrible bad sign) sic...

Now I will always remember to test this point (before or after any purchase) !

• Like 1

I customized a Lenovo ThinkPad to meet the requirements and budget. Should I go with PC/ABS or Aluminum for the "Base Cover Material"?

ThinkPad.png

Edited by khanyash

This is going to depend on your personal preferences.  Aluminum is harder and therefore less easily scratched.  But when aluminum does scratch,  it will show more and look worse than scratched. plastic.  Aluminum tends to bend.  Plastic will either bounce back or crack.  Aluminum dents more easily.

Aluminum is more a fingerprint magnet than plastic.  The black plastic does tend to be boring but won't show dirt as much as aluminum.

Edited by gandalf44
  • Like 1

It seems Lenovo, for most laptops, selects PC/ABS for AMD powered laptops and Aluminum for Intel powered laptops.

I intend to buy the Lenovo ThinkPad seen above (on offer until Sep 30). It will be used for general browsing, productivity, and watching videos.

1. Should I add 8 GB SO-DIMM DDR4 3200MHz (4,092 INR)? [laptop has 8 GB Soldered DDR4 3200MHz]

2. What are your thoughts on BIOS Absolute Enabled?

For display, I went with the last option. I checked the supplied TN display, and the colors appeared washed out. And I suppose the second one would be slightly better than the provided one. What do you say?

35.56cms (14) FHD (1920 x 1080), TN, Anti-Glare, Non-Touch, 250 Nits (Included)

35.56cms (14) FHD (1920 x 1080), IPS, Anti-Glare, Non-Touch, 300 Nits (1,000 INR)

35.56cms (14) FHD (1920 x 1080), IPS, Anti-Glare, Non-Touch, 100% sRGB, 300 Nits (6,300 INR)

Edited by khanyash