"I don't care about cookies" sold

Mystique

"Dear "I don't care about cookies" users,

After exactly 10 years of maintaining this project and dealing with cookie/GDPR pop-ups on my own, I am proud and happy to say that Avast - a famous and trustworthy IT company known for the wide range of products that help secure our digital experience, has recognized its value!

Avast offered to acquire the project so that we can help each other in creating even better products and I decided to accept the offer: "I don't care about cookies" is now officially a member of Avast family 🙂

I will keep working on the project and the extension will remain free to use. Donations are not needed anymore to keep the project going, of course. A big, big ♥ THANK YOU ♥ to all the donors, translators and everyone else who helped keeping the project alive over the years!

Stay tuned for more excited news in the future!"

https://www.i-dont-care-about-cookies.eu/whats-new/acquisition/

Given Avast's track record this can only be a bad thing. It may not be immediately apparent but if history shows us anything Avast will find a way to destroy this. This is bad news folks. What are your takes on this?

• Like 3

Haven't heard that Avast and Norton have already divorced their "marriage". Strange why only Avast is being talked about.

As far as I know, Avast and Symantec/Norton merged more than a year ago. I wonder why only Avast is being talked about.

At the same time, when it is known that the CEO of Norton remained the leader and the CEO of Avast became the new president of the company.
Yes, true thatAvast had about 5 times more clients than Norton, maybe this is the reason why they thinks, they are better.

Both Avast and Norton are rubbish. They buy out products and run them into the ground or buy them to eliminate them.
I completely see them adding a paid subscription which is where they will continue the bulk of the real work whilst the free edition will probably be outdated and littered with promotions for the paid subscription.

It honestly makes sense that two scumbag companies have united.
I have absolutely no love for any of the two companies.

• Like 2

On 9/16/2022 at 2:23 PM, Mystique said:

Both Avast and Norton are rubbish.

They buy out products and run them into the ground or buy them to eliminate them.
I completely see them adding a paid subscription which is where they will continue the bulk of the real work

whilst the free edition will probably be outdated and littered with promotions for the paid subscription.

It honestly makes sense that two scumbag companies have united.
I have absolutely no love for any of the two companies.

I absolutely agree with you.

-CCleaner has been an example of how Avast deals with the companies they buy.

-PC Tools (ThreatFire and other products...) has been an example of how Symantec/Norton deals with the companies they buy.

Avast acquires I don't care about Cookies browser extension - gHacks Tech News

Edited by pc71520

• Administrator

There was a time they were good though. But with all the information that has come forward about them in recent years, it is best to not trust them.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, DKT27 said:

There was a time they were good though. But with all the information that has come forward about them in recent years, it is best to not trust them.

I agree. I do recall many many years ago when avast was something of an okay option for a free antivirus even though I felt it was too heavy and not really that great but there appeared to be no ill intent. One could say the same today but overall they haven't got the cleanest record and when you consider what others have said that they are now partners with Norton's (the other least scrupulous company in the AV world and outside) then we definitely have a problem. The constant buying out of established brands alone is enough to take a dim view of them.

Thankfully some bright person has created a fork of this extension and appears to have some good plans for it going forward.
https://github.com/OhMyGuus/I-Dont-Care-About-Cookies

Someone has also made a backup of the last known good (Pre-Avast) version.
https://github.com/Darthagnon/idontcareaboutcookies-backup

Edited by Mystique
Oops! I didn't read the above post and added the link to the fork which was already mentioned here.
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just as a follow up to this if you all haven't been made aware that the new fork of "I don't care about cookies" has been named "I still don't care about cookies" not to be confused with a suspicious extension with a similar name called "Still don't care about cookies" which omits the 'I' and appears to be shady at this point.

The new fork (I still don't care about cookies) has made also been accepted into the chrome webstore and the mozilla addons repository.

Firefox:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/istilldontcareaboutcookies/

Chrome:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/i-still-dont-care-about-c/edibdbjcniadpccecjdfdjjppcpchdlm

It should be noted that the version on the Chrome webstore is outdated (the version on the firefox repository is completely up to date) and only at version 1.00 as opposed to the version on github which is version 1.03

It appears this project is moving along well and is quite promising.