Windows 11 and Lenovo Yoga 13 battery drain issue

ezellohar

Hello, I've been using Windows 11 on my laptop (a Lenovo Yoga 13, with a gen 8th i5) for a while now. I'm experiencing a massive battery drain when i turn off the laptop. After leaving it for a few days, the battery is empty, and I need to recharge it. When using windows 10, I could leave it for a month and the battery drain was 1-2%. I've installed all drivers from the lenovo support page, but it didn't change the behaviour. Googling it, it seems like a common problem, but with no solution so far. But here there are far more knowledgeable users... anyone has a an idea on what can i try?

My guess is that Lenovo should update its drivers, but they won't (all drivers are quite old. and never updated, they didn't take w11 into consideration at all). Maybe there's compatible drivers available elsewhere I could try?

It is quite likely that the computer will not turn off completely and nothing will work, although the screen will go out and probably all the lights will extinguish. But in fact, the computer remains in standby.
Make such a button/shorcut on the desktop
%windir%\System32\shutdown.exe /f /s /t 00 
and preferably set to run it on the administrator's rights if click on it. See if there are any changes.
PS, how old this battery is, that is, what is its factory outlet date. Maybe the battery is just old. Usually, every battery is old when 1 year or more has passed since its exit. During this time, at least 65% of its nominal capacity has certainly disappeared, regardless of how much it has been used.

Edited by Kalju

well, yes the battery is about 1 and a half years old, but with win 10 it doesn't behave like this. I'll certainly try your solution and post results. Thanks

Sorry, it's my mistake, should be

%windir%\System32\shutdown.exe /f /s /t 00 

and if You have 64-bit system, also can be used 

%SystemRoot%\SysWOW64\shutdown.exe /f /s /t 00

Edited by Kalju

Israeli_Eagle
1 hour ago, ezellohar said:

My guess is that Lenovo should update its drivers, but they won't (all drivers are quite old. and never updated, they didn't take w11 into consideration at all). Maybe there's compatible drivers available elsewhere I could try?

Yes, old or even ancient drivers should never be used!

Plus W11 is still extreme buggy anyway, so I recommend a downgrade instead.

https://www.howtogeek.com/751145/how-to-downgrade-from-windows-11-to-windows-10/

Ok, I waited a couple days to conduct a test, but @Kalju I'm afraid your solution didn't work. Being shut off with the command, it losed 20% battery in 2 days. that's still not acceptable. My only solution still available is to go back to win 10... too bad.
Thank you guys for your help nevertheless

Edited by ezellohar

@ezellohar

But you still haven't said how old this battery is?
Maybe this 20% for two days is normal. It depends what's the current maximum capacity still is. And one more thing, when You last calibred the battery show system? here is one possible example

Spoiler

example.JPG.bb924a952630a67619958195a5762148.JPG

The wear level isn't exactly very high, but usually if this widget shows a wear level of around 20%, then the battery is actually unusable.
I recommend starting to think about buying a new one, but this is not the reason that 20% will disappear in a few days, but at the same time it is not excluded that this may be the case.
My tip or recommendation: do at least one full and then empty cycle (as long as it turns itself off) and then the picture will be clearer, though not 100% reliable.

However, there may be a screen off and most programs and services turned off, but something is still running in the background.
You can perform such a test to verify this.
If you have turned pc off, remove the battery for a while (about 1 minute) and then reinsert it. As a result, everything should shut down, and even if then nothing is unchanged, the problem is not turning off and some background processes, but the battery itself.

The problem is, the laptop has a non-removable battery, so the test is not easily done (yes, I can screw it open but... I better not). My point is that on windows 10 pc off battery consumption was negligible.. And I also beginning to think if this strange win 11 behaviour could have increased the wear level...

Israeli_Eagle

The battery draining issue of W11 is known already quite long time:

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/windows-insider-program/battery-draining-issue-after-installaiton-of-windows-11/m-p/2752654

Especially Lenovo has for sure the same issue:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lenovo-laptop-battery-drains-rapidly-on-windows-11/bcccd5b7-43e7-45ae-824c-bdabd77ba5fd

And generally this might help a bit with correct settings:
https://windowsreport.com/windows-11-battery-drain-issues/

But W11 is extreme buggy, so try to avoid it!! :coolwink:

Does the Windows 11 OS lower battery life? If you have an older version of Windows installed on your device, upgrading to the latest Windows 11 may be draining your battery faster than usual. This is because of the system requirements of Windows 11, which uses more resources and power than previous versions of Windows

go back to windows 8.1 or 10 or 7

Edited by just a guy

2 hours ago, Israeli_Eagle said:

The battery draining issue of W11 is known already quite long time:

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/windows-insider-program/battery-draining-issue-after-installaiton-of-windows-11/m-p/2752654

Especially Lenovo has for sure the same issue:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lenovo-laptop-battery-drains-rapidly-on-windows-11/bcccd5b7-43e7-45ae-824c-bdabd77ba5fd

And generally this might help a bit with correct settings:
https://windowsreport.com/windows-11-battery-drain-issues/

But W11 is extreme buggy, so try to avoid it!! :coolwink:

I did know the second link, but reading the first it seems that the bug is quite big... I'll go back to win 10

• Like 1