New phone battery drawing quickly

mehdibleu

Hello,

I had a problem with the battery drawing quickly and after thinking long and hard about whether a battery change was inevitable or not, I decided to take the plunge and get a new battery.

But as I feared, the same problem reappeared even after changing the battery.

My Samsung S7 Edge phone battery still drawing quickly even when I'm not using it and even when I turn off all the options that consume the battery. I was afraid of spending money for nothing and unfortunately that's what happened.

So how is it possible for a new battery to draw so fast ? Is it normal ? Anyone noticed the same problem after changing the battery ? Does someone have any explanation on why this happens ?

E.g

I charge my phone at night at 100% battery charge and when i wake up i found it at 65% battery charge and this is again happen with the new battery.

The normal battery of the Samsung Galaxy S7 edge is 3600mAh and even if you do nothing and the phone just stands in the on position, it is enough for one day (about 24 hours). If you have some systems running in the background (and there are usually/actually quite a many), that time is about 10-12 or less hours.
If you use your phone only as a phone, it will not significantly affect the discharge, but if you use it as a computer (if playing, reading something, waching videos or TV etc), the power consumption will be quite high. Sometimes even up to 2A, in which case a new battery lasts for just a few hours. Usually couple hours or less. This is absolutely normal.
As this is a fairly old model (Released 2016, March 11), its power consumption is also quite high, despite the fact that the processor is quite good.
Nowadays, no one should buy a phone with a battery capacity of less than 5000mAh and a non-volatile memory of less than 128GB, min RAM of 6GB and at least an octa core processor of around 2.2 - 2.4 GHz. 
So I do not think that this depletion is too fast.
Tip: Make your phone completely empty and restore the factory settings, if possible, also download all the updates and reinstall all the necessary apps and I think it will get better.

Thanks for responding.

I really had the feeling that battery was not drawing so fast when i bought the phone in 2018. It had a really a good battery autonomy before starting to draw sighificantly after 3 year of use and i thought that replacing the battery was goong to solve this problem but it was not the case.

Sometimes when i leave the phone at 50% of battery charge, most of the time, i find the phone turned off when i wake up and this is absolutely not normal to me. I don't remember having this problem at all when buying the phone that's why i'm very skeptical about what's going on now.

I'm wondering if the battery the guy sold me is really new as he claims or if it has a defect.

13 hours ago, mehdibleu said:

I charge my phone at night at 100% battery charge and when i wake up i found it at 65% battery charge and this is again happen with the new battery.

I suggest you try restarting your phone after its fully charged and just before you go to sleep my low budget android was giving similar battery performance issues until more frequent restarting fixed the problem just as well my battery isn't user replaceable :doh:

" It’s good practice to restart your phone once daily. If your phone has an option to “Scheduled Power On & Off” then you can use it to restart your phone daily at the given time. I prefer 3:00 AM midnight when I don’t use my phone. Restarting phone clears all the background apps you opened in the whole day which boost the ram and reduces battery drain. So, doing this daily will keep your phone in a healthy condition "

Source:  https://www.quora.com/How-often-should-I-restart-my-phone-Why

If you didn't know like some others:coolwink: its a well documented issue with your phone more info here hope that helps mate good luck.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Israeli_Eagle
1 hour ago, Mach1 said:

" It’s good practice to restart your phone once daily. If your phone has an option to “Scheduled Power On & Off” then you can use it to restart your phone daily at the given time. I prefer 3:00 AM midnight when I don’t use my phone. Restarting phone clears all the background apps you opened in the whole day which boost the ram and reduces battery drain. So, doing this daily will keep your phone in a healthy condition "

Source:  https://www.quora.com/How-often-should-I-restart-my-phone-Why

Oh my, come on......... :lmao:

The only point is how well you care about your device & system!!

My phone (with always running around 150 apps) I reboot maybe twice per year maximum. For example the PC (200+ softwares installed) maybe 1-2 per month, depends how often come deep drivers or OS updates come. Right now this day came a BIOS update, so I were forced of course to reboot.

And the new phone battery... I still think it simply needs a recalibration once and nothing else.

Edited by Israeli_Eagle

Use the phone's native app and check which system/user app is using the battery the most.

Most likely some app is hanging in the background and keeps the phone awake.

• Administrator

Do also check if any of the sensors are acting up. Also check if GPS is not getting enabled by itself. There are various apps to check all that.

If apps indeed are running in background using up all the battery then either disable them or stop them from starting up by themselves there.

Sometimes even rooting and installing custom OS can help.

But the bigger question is. From where did you get the newer battery. A lot of batteries sold out there are not real or fake or bad quality. This can also be why your new battery too is not working properly. I would not fully trust it unless it is from the company itself there.

Wifi settings? Must your phone be so smart all the time?

Or maybe the original problem wasn't battery at all. Two good batteries and one broken phone?

Thanks to all for responding.

As i said previously, this problem has nothing to do with apps playing in the background or options consumming battery. i always make sure to optimise my phone and disable all necessary options in a such way to remove all apps still playing in the background and keep battery autonomy as much as possible but even doing that, the battery stil drawing fast.

I am pretty sure that this problem is related to new battery. The guy must have sold me a battery in bad quality or faulty battery. It is surely because of this that the battery discharges so fast.

@DKT27To answer what you said, the new battery i get is not original, i bought it from a guy who sells electronic equipment. I asked him if the battery is original and told me that it is not and he added that I would not be able to find an original battery except to have it from the samsung company. So i had no other choice to get the new battery he had hopping that the problem will be solved but unfortunately it's not the case.

Where do you think i can get an original battery ? do you think i can get it somewhere except from samsung company ? and do you think that the best thing to do is to get a new battery from samsung company ? Does it really matter ?

Regarding recalibration solution that someone suggested above, i haven't tried it yet but i will. I don't think it will change anything but I have nothing to lose by trying it.

By the way, this has nothing to do with the topic's content but i dont receive notification from a member when posting in the topic's owner as it used to be in the past.

Edited by mehdibleu

• Administrator

@mehdibleu : Thing is, as your phone was released 6 years ago, I do not know if the company can actually repair it. If they can, then go to the service center - with original battery inside if possible and tell them your problem. If they say it is battery issue then ask them if they can replace with a original new one. Most likely they will not have one with them and will need to order it. It can take days or even a month for the new one to come, if they do have it. Ask them when it will be available and tell them to let you know when it does.

Honestly, your phone is an expensive phone - so what it was released 6 years ago. But expensive phone is an expensive phone and good phone needs a original battery. Battery is one thing I do not trust from outside - other things are sometimes understandable.

Having said, mid range phones these days come with similar performance and features than that phone. So if battery issue cannot be fixed and if you can buy a new one then there are good alternatives out there too.

the s7 seems to have stopped updates... Android usually provides 3 years updates..

also 5g will be the way to go in the future.. 

maybe time to get a midrange phone too

If you are truly interested in what is actually left running on your phone, try the app "Background apps and processes". Available on Play Store. You might actually be surprised....

Just my opinion..... ;)

• 4 weeks later...
saltywetman

Just curious as to whether your batter was an official OEM battery from samsung. I've never replaced my battery on any of my samsung deviced but have on my old sony xperia phone when the oem battery swelled up and literally pushed the backplate up from its adhesive. The battery i bought was supposed to be "oem" from witrigs but i was quite doubtful after the install the battery definitely was not performing on par after a month or so of use and quickly died within a year. I think a lot of those batteries circulating the market are cheap made in china batteries that do not work well. 

On a side note. A lot of brand new flagship phones with the new Snapdragon 8 gen 1 processors unfortunately have pretty poor battery life. I bought a new s22 ultra and was quite shocked how the battery was performing the same as my worn down 3 year old note 10+ battery which had amazing battery life during its first year of use. There was a tip to boot into the bootloader mode and wipe the partition cache which did help a bit (battery performance out of the box was initially worse than my worn down note 10+ battery). Perhaps give that a shot if you haven't already

Get a new one. Phones that are too old to cope with today's usage scenarios even after repair.

Edited by FlyLowrie

• 2 months later...

Sorry for the late response but i was a little bit busy.

OK there's news so i contacted samsung and told them if a S7 Edge battery is available and can be ordered, after a short moment, they said yes so i placed the order the morning and they called me in the afternoon to let me know that the battery had arrived.  I had to move outside the city where i live to be able to get the bettery because there's no Samsung Service Center in the city where i live (fortunately, it's not very far from where i live).

I paid the equivalent of 45 euros, the installation of the battery was included in the offer. I charged the battery at 100% before using it as they advised me to do so and after that it was time to see if this battery was going to the job i.e. last long enough before discharging itself very gradually. After testing it for hours, i was glad to see that it lasts much longer than battery i bought few months ago (as a reminder it was not original) before discharging. The battery has lost just 30% of its charge after not being used for 16 hours when it was loosing 80% of charge with the old battery.

So it's obvious that this original battery is way better than the old one so at this moment after just one test, i am very pleased with this new battery. I will have to do more tests to see how far can this original battery go after using it muliple hours in a row but for now that's great.

• Like 1