How to change a network settings programmatically?

Serg

Hi all,

Is there a way to programmatically change every network setting that is available through network connections in explorer?

I mean when you right click on local area connection->select properties->networking tab->tcpip->properties. There you can change the ip address, subnet mask, default gateway, dns.

I want to know exactly how does the windows explorer changes these settings (programmatically).

Thank you,

Serg.

• Replies 16
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The settings are changed in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxx}

"EnableDHCP"

"IPAddress"

"SubnetMask"

"DefaultGateway"

and other settings everything is there!

Not actually sure if something changes if you play with the values, you can try it if you want to find out!

{xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxx} = I have a few of these, one should be your default settings.

The parameters in HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\ is automatically laid out whenever you turn your computer on.

I believe if you mess with some parameters it can either make or break your internet connection.

make sure u backedup ur registry incase of ne trouble <_<

I can't help too much, but I remember an article in Computer Shopper where they use built in command line tools to save and restore interface configurations to and from a file. It was for a laptop to help it move between different locations. I'm afraid I cannot remember the command used, but there is one. You do not have to tinker with the registry.

Thank you all for your replies, but isn't there some Windows API for that purpose?

If I change the values in the registry, I must reboot the PC for the changes to take effect.

Isn't Windows explorer uses some API to change these settings without rebooting?

By the way, the OS is XP PRO SP3.

Thank you,

Serg

Here is how you set ip address, mask, gateway:

netsh interface ip set address name ="name of connection" source = static addr = xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx mask = xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx gateway = xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx gwmetric = 1

Here's how you restore it to automatic:

netsh interface ip set address name="name of connection" source=dhcp 

Cheers ;)

Here is how you set ip address, mask, gateway:

netsh interface ip set address name ="name of connection" source = static addr = xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx mask = xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx gateway = xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx gwmetric = 1

Here's how you restore it to automatic:

netsh interface ip set address name="name of connection" source=dhcp 

Cheers ;)

Thank you for that,

so there are no API function that doing exactly the same as netsh?

Serg.

Well maybe there is, but I'm not aware of it. But commands I gave you should solve your issue.

Cheers ;)

The commands you gave me definitely solved my issue, but not in a programmatically's elegant way.

Though thank you very much for this solution.

I am still waiting for someone who knows how to do it using a windows API functions.

Is it possible that Microsoft does not implemented such functions?

I have searched through MSDN library, and have not find any answers.

Serg.

It's obvious there should be a WinAPI to do that, since all Wireless adaptors brands a custom conecction setup to set those parameters...

Thanks for netsh command mara- ;) It isn't suitable for programming, but it's nice for BATs.

Hello all,

After a lot of googling, I have dug up this Windows API function: SetAdapterIpAddress.

I must say that it works perfectly for me, but the problem is that its undocumented and so may change with every update.

I can hardly believe that Microsoft has no such formal API function!

If someone knows anything about it, please advise!

Serg.

Hi all,

Is there a way to programmatically change every network setting that is available through network connections in explorer?

I mean when you right click on local area connection->select properties->networking tab->tcpip->properties. There you can change the ip address, subnet mask, default gateway, dns.

I want to know exactly how does the windows explorer changes these settings (programmatically).

Thank you,

Serg.

You may like to have a peep here:- B)

You may like to have a peep here:- B)

Thank you dcs18, I will check this ebook and report here if I will find anything useful.

Serg.

Archived