What encryption for Windows 10 SSD system drive/partition without major performance impact?

AZwaffelForAWaff

AZwaffelForAWaff

I want to encrypt my system drive and/or partition, but I don't want to lose a ton of performance. is that possible? This is for a powerful gaming rig with high-end CPU, GPU, RAM, and NVMe PCIe SSD's.

VeraCrypt is what I use to create secure containers on HDD's and USB drives, but from what I know, it significantly decreases SSD performance. Someone advised BestCrypt, but I'd prefer a freeware/open-source version. BitLocker is not an option for current OS configuration.

Israeli_Eagle

Hmmm... WHY is BitLocker not option?? :think:

And actually BitLocker has no real loss of performance at all, not even at highest level.

Edited by Israeli_Eagle

Also ask yourself if you really need encryption anyway, assuming this is for home use. Are you worried about thieves or other family members snooping? If not, why bother with the hassle...

• Haha 1

Israeli_Eagle
5 minutes ago, wolfie said:

Also ask yourself if you really need encryption anyway, assuming this is for home use. Are you worried about thieves or other family members snooping? If not, why bother with the hassle...

It might shock you, but some people really prefer privacy & security! :coolwink:

3 hours ago, Israeli_Eagle said:

It might shock you, but some people really prefer privacy & security! :coolwink:

Sure, but from whom was my question?

AZwaffelForAWaff
10 hours ago, Israeli_Eagle said:

Hmmm... WHY is BitLocker not option?? :think:

And actually BitLocker has no real loss of performance at all, not even at highest level.

I deleted BitLocker with NTLite. It no longer exists as a component within the OS. There is no way to restore it. That is why I wanted alternatives. Is there a portable/standalone version of BitLocker?

• Sad 1

Israeli_Eagle
6 minutes ago, AZwaffelForAWaff said:

I deleted BitLocker with NTLite. It no longer exists as a component within the OS. There is no way to restore it. That is why I wanted alternatives. Is there a portable/standalone version of BitLocker?

Oh my... Better NEVER delete basic OS parts!!
I recommend to reinstall a complete OS and afterwards only delete the truly useless parts (for example the trash from MS Store etc). But better never again deep parts like BitLocker.

AZwaffelForAWaff

Nope, I see no benefit in keeping BitLocker. My Windows 10 configuration is kind of like Safe Mode, but with graphics, audio, and basic network. Third party programs do the rest.

I think I have what I need - DiskCryptor from renewed development (2020 release fork). It is much llike BitLocker does, but without Microsoft's involvement.

The only feature missing from both VeraCrypt and DiskCryptor is proper Secure Boot signing...

• 1 year later...

It's old (more then 1 year) but for my experience, in case of container encryption, I find Veracrypt the best, I use it since 6 or 8 years without trouble. But I never tested full partition encryption, because I prefer have the control of access in case something goes wrong.

To protect sensitiv data and soft, for example mailing like Thunderbird, I use only portable soft in a Veracrypt container, so the access is impossible if the container is unmounted.

On 1/23/2022 at 2:29 AM, AZwaffelForAWaff said:

I deleted BitLocker with NTLite.

It no longer exists as a component within the OS.

There is no way to restore it.

That is why I wanted alternatives. 

You either use another Windows version with BitLocker present (i.e. not Removed by NTLite) or use VeraCrypt.

• 3 months later...
On 1/22/2022 at 2:02 PM, AZwaffelForAWaff said:

I want to encrypt my system drive and/or partition, but I don't want to lose a ton of performance. is that possible? This is for a powerful gaming rig with high-end CPU, GPU, RAM, and NVMe PCIe SSD's.

VeraCrypt is what I use to create secure containers on HDD's and USB drives, but from what I know, it significantly decreases SSD performance. Someone advised BestCrypt, but I'd prefer a freeware/open-source version. BitLocker is not an option for current OS configuration.

Old thread, but might be interesting to know how a full drive/partition encryption could affect performances in real life.

You have a powerful rig. Old, not so powerful rig here, never had troubles with veracrypt, only containers though.

When you say that veracrypt significantly decreases SSD performance; is it from your own experience or from stuff you read?