Can't Open Any .exe as Administrator

uffbros
Go to solution Solved by uffbros,

I am all of a sudden unable to open any .exe file as admin..I can open same files by just clicking on them. I tried everything in the first 10 or so google searches for this problem but nothing works. I am attaching the message I get:

Screenshot 2022-01-21 135908.jpg

Israeli_Eagle

First open CMD as admin. If the Command Prompt won’t open normally then open File Explorer, go to C:\Windows\System32 and search for “cmd.exe”. Right-click the file and select “Run as administrator”.

When the Command Prompt opens, type or paste the line below and hit the Enter key to run the command:

assoc  .exe=exefile

This will re-establish the association between executable files and the .exe file extension. You shouldn’t encounter further issues when you click on an app or program file.

Edited by Israeli_Eagle
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, uffbros said:

I am all of a sudden unable to open any .exe file as admin..I can open same files by just clicking on them. I tried everything in the first 10 or so google searches for this problem but nothing works. I am attaching the message I get:

Screenshot 2022-01-21 135908.jpg

You can create a backup of your computer

and then try the following:

• Like 1

Israeli_Eagle
14 minutes ago, uffbros said:

Im not having any boot problems???? i just can't run any ,exe as administrator.....

Yes, but this repair mode also reactivates some defaults often.

22 minutes ago, uffbros said:

i just can't run any ,exe as administrator.....

1. the first question is whether this is only for your account or is the same if you are using a built-in administrator account
  2. the second question is whether this is the case when you try to run .exe files by right-clicking on a link or the .exe file itself.
  3. third, whether the same is true if you run the .exe file, for example, with the PowerShell command
  4. fourth, can you run at all some of files as administrator but there are only  some of files that not possible run as admin?

PS. Don't worry if I'll ask again, even though you already said you can't get any .exe files ....simply I must be sure.

Edited by Kalju

1) I don't use the built in account. I use the one I created when installing Windows 11. I am the Admin.

2)The .exe file itself. When I right click on any .exe file as admin I get that message.

3)If I run Adm PowerShell as admin any .exe program opens. I get to that by right clicking on the start button and selecting the Windows start button and then Windows Terminal(Admin)

4)None of the files run as admin but run regular way by clicking on them. 

• Solution

I haven't found a fix but I found a way to make any .exe file run as admin.....Right click on the file select properties...then compatibility tab...then check the box that says run as admin...apply...It now runs the file in adm by just clicking on it.

• Like 2

Israeli_Eagle

Only now I understand!! Means somehow the admin rights are damaged, so somehow the system or user account is badly modified. Very weird stuff... :think:

6 minutes ago, uffbros said:

I haven't found a fix but I found a way to make any .exe file run as admin.....Right click on the file select properties...then compatibility tab...then check the box that says run as admin...apply...It now runs the file in adm by just clicking on it.

And now again ALL .exe files work fine again and can also optional as admin??

Edited by Israeli_Eagle

9 hours ago, uffbros said:

True, this is not the solution and the error/problem persists. It's like an ostrich poking its head in the sand and thinking that no one can see it/him/her now.
I asked what happens when you turn on and use the built-in administrator account.
You replied that you do not use it.(?) You do not have to use it and no one shouldn't to use it commonly and every day. This is needed to better understand what is really wrong. And the fact that you're logged in with an account registered in the Administrator Accounts registry is not the same as running programs as an administrator. These are two completely different things.
However, if you want to find the error and try to fix it, you should try how things work if you are truly an administrator and have administrator privileges.
It's worth remembering that these errors don't go away on their own and often can't be fixed, but you can still try.
I can only assume that this problem is quite likely related to registry damage and the easiest way would be to restore the original registry, but you hardly made a copy of the registry immediately after installation. But if you did, it could help you and save you from reinstalling Windows.
And the question of whether an administrator account is working would answer the question of whether all of Windows is damaged or only your account is damaged.
So you could try it anyway, it will be immediately clear what needs to be done and what will actually help you get rid of the problem.mediately clear what needs to be done and what will actually help you get rid of the problem.

As asked/suggested by @Kalju

Have you tried enabling the "Administrator" account and tested an application (.exe)?

This would tell you whether your "current" account is "suspect" or not?

Browse to: C:\Windows\System32\

Right-click on: cmd.exe >Run As Administrator

At the prompt, type: net user administrator /active:yes

Log-off then log on as Administrator

Test again

Good luck!

Note:

You can disable the Administrator account by disabling it

At the prompt, type: net user administrator /active:no