Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit installation problem

Ferocity

I recently decided to install a 64bit copy of Windows 7, but didn't manage to do it.

Few days ago i got a dvd with W7 pro 64 bit and didn't managed to install it, first i couldn't get it to boot first 2 times, then it actually started the setup but when i hit install it just popped an error saying it could NOT load the necessary drivers?

My first guess was that the dvd was not burned well. So i decided to download the Ultimate 64bit version. Burned the .iso at the lowest speed(4x) using CDburnerXP.

Note this is my first time doing this stuff so i am not so experienced at noticing stuff that could affect this installation.

I created a new partition using GParted live.

I started the installation of W7 on that new partition, the dvd spinned well etc but when the instalation came to expanding files (custom installation ofc, i wanna keep my current XP and install W7 on a the new partition) it was at 0% all the time and eventually after like 3 mins the install failed saying files may be missing or corrupt.

I just cant believe that two dvds are somehow corrupt, i downloaded two separate .iso files that people reviewed as good ones, burned them with proper care ^_^ and the installation just won't work.

I'll also say some stuff that i think would/could make the install not work:

1.) I created that new partition (NTFS) from a hdd that has XP x86 on it, and when i want to install W7 it asks me on what partition, i click on the newly created one and on the right of the partitions it says the new partition is a primary partition and the partition on witch my current XP installation is, is a system partition. (Maybe this has something to do with the fails?)

2.) The .iso is burned on a DVD+R ( I doesn't matter if its + or - right?)

3.) The strange thing is that even upgrade advisor won't work. It's stuck at checking compatibility and won't move from that point.

My laptop HP 6830s has the latest updates for windows XP SP3.

If you need detalied info i can also post a dxdiag but i think it is not necessary as everything seems to work fine.

No i dont' have any viruses, malware etc

If you guys could give some suggestion, provide help that would be great.

Greets to the nsane people from Croatia

• Replies 6
  • Views 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I recently decided to install a 64bit copy of Windows 7, but didn't manage to do it.

Few days ago i got a dvd with W7 pro 64 bit and didn't managed to install it, first i couldn't get it to boot first 2 times, then it actually started the setup but when i hit install it just popped an error saying it could NOT load the necessary drivers?

My first guess was that the dvd was not burned well. So i decided to download the Ultimate 64bit version. Burned the .iso at the lowest speed(4x) using CDburnerXP.

Hope your hardware system supports the (x64-bit) architecture

When downloading system files like for example an OS or some other platform, it's advisable to use torrents (this ensures integrity of the final file downloaded.) BTW, I'd downloaded 16 ISOs before laying my hands on an .ISO that would really boot. Hope you've downloaded the Untouched Ultimate 7600.16385.090713-1255 x64 (Retail) Let me know if you need the original torrent for this Untouched .ISO

The DVD needs to be burned as an image not the way you'd burn data files. It's also most important that the burn is verified successfully. I prefer ImgBurn for my burning purposes.

Note this is my first time doing this stuff so i am not so experienced at noticing stuff that could affect this installation.

I created a new partition using GParted live.

I started the installation of W7 on that new partition, the dvd spinned well etc but when the instalation came to expanding files (custom installation ofc, i wanna keep my current XP and install W7 on a the new partition) it was at 0% all the time and eventually after like 3 mins the install failed saying files may be missing or corrupt.

I just cant believe that two dvds are somehow corrupt, i downloaded two separate .iso files that people reviewed as good ones, burned them with proper care ^_^ and the installation just won't work.

The partition needs to have a minimum of 16.5 GBs of free space as per Microsoft specification. I'd recommend around 23 GBs for insurance.

Dual booting of Windows Se7en and Windows XP is not only possible but also an excellent idea.

I'll also say some stuff that i think would/could make the install not work:

1.) I created that new partition (NTFS) from a hdd that has XP x86 on it, and when i want to install W7 it asks me on what partition, i click on the newly created one and on the right of the partitions it says the new partition is a primary partition and the partition on witch my current XP installation is, is a system partition. (Maybe this has something to do with the fails?)

Don't try to do an in-place-upgrade (unless you possess a valid upgrade license.) Go in for a clean install

The freshly created partition needs to be designated as primary as well as 'active' before start of the installation

2.) The .iso is burned on a DVD+R ( I doesn't matter if its + or - right?)

It doesn't matter (there're lot of myths floating out there.)

3.) The strange thing is that even upgrade advisor won't work. It's stuck at checking compatibility and won't move from that point.

Don't pay too much attention to the Upgrade advisor (it's in beta stage.)

My laptop HP 6830s has the latest updates for windows XP SP3.

If you need detalied info i can also post a dxdiag but i think it is not necessary as everything seems to work fine.

No i dont' have any viruses, malware etc

If you guys could give some suggestion, provide help that would be great.

The condition of your XP doesn't matter (viruses and other malware notwithstanding.)

Greets to the nsane people from Croatia

:welcome: to the nSane Forums, have fun.

• Administrator

It's the drive. I faced this many times before. But for XP. If all the above things mentioned by dcs18 are proper, it must be the drive.

Unplug it and replug it, if that helps.

Its happened to me many times that I can read-write dvd but the files don't load during the OS installation properly. So far I didn't find the reason that was the laser is the reason, cause I do use a laser cleaner CD when this happen, or it's the wire.

Thanx for your replies guys, the installation managed to start after all without any intervention.

Everything works just well. No more all day driver downloading and internet connection set-ups, it just wokrs!

i'm really satisfied with 7

I'm already considering of moving the most of things from the XP partition and getting loose of it today.

Installed most apps, ill just cut my music, vids and only need to install ms office and some other stuff.

Thanx for your replies guys, the installation managed to start after all without any intervention.

Glad it somehow worked out for you. :)

I'm already considering of moving the most of things from the XP partition and getting loose of it today.

Installed most apps, ill just cut my music, vids and only need to install ms office and some other stuff.

You may also find a lot of your stuff in 'C:\Windows.old' B)

Advice: Next time burn the ISO in a USB Drive. Its faster and never get any problems. :dance2:

read the instructions carefully before burning an image to USB use proper tool

Archived