error: 0x800f082f

Atasas

Hi guys!

I keep trying (and failing miserably) to install SP2 on my mates Toshiba laptop and can not get the thing to be cleanly re'installed/unistalled (as it is failed update)

Basically every time I try to reboot it takes to installing updates etc etc...

I did obviously try Safe mode/ run as Admin- same! :frusty:

I did get rid of half Hardware monitoring crap by Toshiba

I did uninstalled M$ O 2007 trial run the installer cleanup tool http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

I did delete Folder contents as admin of Windows/Software.../

I did run Stand Alone Windows6.0-KB948465-X86 package

I did activated windows and it does say Genuine- they are!

What a hell I didn't do? :badmood:

Thanks! :better mood:

• Replies 24
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Try this..

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=0a162694-4d9d-4676-8283-1ba674374d71&displaylang=en

Download, run, then run updates and see if it doesn't show up.. and this may be your best method for the upgrade..

EDIT: I am assuming that you are speaking of Windows Vista SP2.. Mine that I did was flawless.. with a fresh installation.. There may also be updates and prerequisites that need to be made...

EDIT2: On the other stuff you have done.. Not sure about deleting the folder, but if it was recommended t do to get SP2 then I guess so..

Try this..

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=0a162694-4d9d-4676-8283-1ba674374d71&displaylang=en

Download, run, then run updates and see if it doesn't show up.. and this may be your best method for the upgrade..

EDIT: I am assuming that you are speaking of Windows Vista SP2.. Mine that I did was flawless.. with a fresh installation.. There may also be updates and prerequisites that need to be made...

EDIT2: On the other stuff you have done.. Not sure about deleting the folder, but if it was recommended t do to get SP2 then I guess so..

TY I'll try tomorrow (will do!) :P

Just bumping the thread, in case somebody had same error issue and had a solution handy :rolleyes:

You do know that when you do this ( for more than once ) Windows Vista will have to do some updating when t reboots, and may even do it again.. Did it just continually loop like this or what?

You do know that when you do this ( for more than once ) Windows Vista will have to do some updating when t reboots, and may even do it again.. Did it just continually loop like this or what?

- Yes!

installing updates ; process 3of3 0%................................ and again..... and again.... and then I've read about deleting some files- the same again..... :frusty:

BTW Heath I've not tested your solution yet, might be just the ticket, but since already spent two eves without success, I'd love to know any/all possible scenarios for resolving SP2 install ;)

Well unfortunately the processes I go through you may not like the solution...Just a few points I think of right off.. just to take into consideration..

If you delete files.. you must also clean the registry, always.. this isn't just for efficiency; but so the system does register something that isn't there. Without uninstalling things you may also have still more registry entries for the installation... So the system may still, in fact.. not properly install or repair.. Just a note..

Valid Windows installations usually only upgrade.. without a problem or ones who have it included... even in some instances where it will pass WGA validation checks.. upon installation, depending on how and what could have been done to activate validate.. it may still have an issue...

Depending on your hardware that seemingly forever loop .. may just be a part of it.. sometimes it takes quite some time for some updates/SP packages to do there thing, especially with major updates that replace a ton of files.. The older system I maintain for my mom and dad does the same thing when it comes to upgrading a system file, when there are large numbers of files.. you may just have to walk off and leave it to do its thing.. Atleast give it a chance.. sometimes an hour...( which is a pain but it has to be done sometimes )

If anything has been messed with in LSP or GP..sometimes these permission can inhibit proper installations and upgrades..SOMETIMES.. Registry entries from installations can get in the way... Some of the older ' malicious installs ' could do a little of everything including killing your Network connection and disable various items in your Windows OS.. such as Task Manager and permission on files it may install.. It can depend on whats going on..

Making sure you use Windows or Microsoft Update can insure an easy upgrade.. There are quite a few packages out there to install. Valid standalone packages from Microsoft usually come with the acknowledgment that they are to be used by IT with an Upgrade/Update Agent for large networks which are Administered through IT ( for ease of large implementation remotely ). I mean for some it seems as though it would be easier to keep from downloading it over and over.. but you are talking about a whole different set of circumstances or computing environments.. Using Microsoft Update usually gets and installs all updates and pre-requisites ( for ALL Microsoft based products ) in the order that they need to be done, and uses the proper update for the version.. as it may apply...

I have also seen in some instances where turning off your AV/System Protections helps... but its rare, and usually in the event that they are Betas or RC's ( not Final ) they can have huge implication and create large files on the system .. its a long story.. goes all the way back to NT and forward..LOL

Should something go wrong with an update.. uninstall through the Control Panel, deleting the files ( you usually don't want to do it unless you read it at the Microsoft Site ), cleaning the registry and running the Patch Registry cleaner that I linked to above.. Restarting ( sometimes twice ) and going to Microsoft Update ( or Windows Update ) should show that the update has not been applied.. at which point all updates should again show to be needed and available.. and go from that point.. allow the system to do its work.. it just takes time.. sometimes..

One thing too, is if you have ever tweaked the system to ShutDown faster... or skip anything.. it can circumvent some items which either take place during shut down, and Startup.. ( usually this tweak is only done on systems that have old hardware and need the help ). Its one of the reasons it is better to properly understand whats behind some of these easy tweakers.. Most people just select it and move on.. Yet when a problem arises they may not ever put two and two together as to what could be causing it.. and have no idea where to start.. or how to properly undo it...Even with Services that seemingly are innocent enough to optimize, even manually... Why a suggestion to familiarize yourself with these aspects is a good idea..

The last and hopefully not the thing you have to do.. is pull the files.. Wipe it ( as long as its not OEM with Repair only ) and reinstall fresh. Then apply the update... For the most part however they usually recommend doing it, most who do never have a problem upgrading... There is no tweak, software, registry entry, infection( usually ) that gets in the way.. clean and to the point..

Working on someones else's system can present a lot of problems.. You don't know what has been there before, or how well/badly it was cleaned, or even if what was done to do it was proper and pertaining to.. Nor what else has taken place... I mean you can look in the logs and comb through the system and find something or nothing to even indicate it.. and in some cases its the only thing you have.. and what you know or have experienced on your own.. While you want to be that person who does.. you may ultimately have no choice.. or else spend a month trying t repair something that could have been fixed in a matter of hours, by wiping and reinstalling.. and slipping there stuff back in.. program installations and all... Of all things I hate is having to come back behind someone and try to figure out what they have done and clean up their mess.. It has to be doe sometimes... but it can really be a problem.. Thing is in the end you wind up fixing even more than you know..

IMO.. I would even if the Patch registry cleaner works.. I would advise to do a backup, move personal mods/programs/files out.. and go with it fresh.. Start 'anew'.. as it were.. :thumbsup:...

Thanks dude, I should have been clearer as what is how

1 PC (laptop) has been in use for only 4 month and

2 updates came only from M$ via update

3 there is back no up disk and I have been hopefull to make such for him in a first place

4 install packages are not going through, because of error and to make back up disk with errors- no thanks! been there with good old XP and it never worked on my own system, Vsta- would be silly

5 genuine - yes, as the first time I've had it running, I did set up Internet connection and validated windows over internet

6 files, that somebody somewhere had suggested are already deleted, I've run automated Registry cleaners (CCLeaner and Vista Manager by Yamicsoft) and restarting did not help, nor trying to uninstall updates anymore(errors- "could not complete etc", nor stand alone SP2 package 348MB has gone through.

7 all anti xxx exit and Admin mode and Safe mode- all obviously are basics covered too

@ Heath shame (as friend is delayed @ work) I will not be trying your suggested solution tonight

or

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0435684b-8d12-4028-9cb0-b2903257f1fd&displaylang=en

suggested elsewhere

so I will not be able to bring anymore light as what is happening, but I do appreciate your support and ideas!

still wander if somebody had this sort of issue them-self perhaps?

On 4, if you are getting this with all updates.. then you should troubleshoot it at Microsoft. When I ran the Error Code I got this.. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-AU/windows-vista/Windows-Update-error-800F082F . It seems according to this error that you have unfinished updates.. so your getting an error from the install not gong through. It could possible you didn't allow enough time the first time for it to complete.. and then deleted the files it needed to trying to repair it.. Once I had to try a Restart and a ShutDown and then boot back up to get this.. if you have a shield on one of them it usually does the trick.. but it may need the other.. It will not go any farther until if it is completed... part of the error message number..

I agree on making the backup on a messed up system.. Its probably like an HP or Compaq.. They are a couple of the companies that always do this.. They never send a Disk.. and you have no way to recover except from a set of Recovery Disks/Partition area pre-made into the system.. However should something wipe out the OS.. Your left in the dark, ( Like a refurbished system with corrupt nonrecoverable sectors on the HD = New HD and OS Disk )or you have to call contact support of the company and buy a Disk.. sometimes $11.. sometimes more.. $35... and it comes with all of the marketing and bloatware... ( IMO... I think they should pull their head out of their !@#.. and actually give people a product that is maintainable out of the box - but where would be the profitability in that? They would have to fire support staff ) Anyway enough about my personal ideas..LOL But regardless there are only a few things you can do in that case...

If the Update Patch Cleaner doesn't work I would create a Support Ticket at Microsoft and see if thee isn't a last chance somewhere.. There could be some things you could do to keep from this in the future as well, Like suggesting Acronis and its Boot Loader .. with a TRUE backup.. if This is ever recovered..

01.) Check whether your clock in the systray is reflecting the time accurately. If not synchronize it manually using the various server entries.

02.) Delete the 'C:\Windows\winsxs\Temp\PendingRenames' folder including all contents

03.) Go to the 'C:\Windows\winsxs' directory and scroll down to delete every .xml file.

04.) Reboot the system 3 to 4 times (this will rid your system from all update/install nags.)

05.) Uninstall SP2 (only if it reflects.)

06.) Re-install SP2 with your standalone installer.

@ dc 1- yes; 2- no go!; 3- not reasonable as actual indexes are not going to be of that big of importance; 4 done; 5 done

patchRegCleaner failed- "...specify product or something" (in msdos)

will post again, after running Windows6.0-KB947821-v4-x86

Did you disable UAC while running the Patch Registration Cleanup Utility? Just read where they recommended UAC to be off..

Did you disable UAC while running the Patch Registration Cleanup Utility? Just read where they recommended UAC to be off..

UAC ?

No go with all patches through anyway... :frusty:

:badmood:

User Account Control.. if your operating in an Administrative Account ( Especially important while doing Updates ), You can go to the Control Panel and change the settings for UAC...

That last one may be good idea too.. :thumbsup: Really odd your having this kind of problem updating it.. :think: You know what I would have already done at this point..LOL

last one is not going through... simply stuck and is it! (did before- Killed it... ended up repairing, restoring back to the point of anything done before today) not keen, but gonna have to kill ba$tard again... :frusty:

Problems- yep- prolly because of my love to M$ or Vista...

UAC- same old mate!, I've run updates in safe mode (as admin) as well as running most of other patches...

Running in Safe Mode could be the problem... try it normally in an Admin account.. In Safe Mode some installations and DLL files which can be necessary to changing areas of the OS which are necessary... will not be able to run... If that is what you have been doing try it the other way if you haven't already...

I never run Updates in Safe Mode... Just log in to the Admin account and download/install as designed..

never mind...

Reinstalled vista pre SP, now will do all the updates (:scary: considering my mates(same as mine 3G) mobile broadband of amounts, that will be needed....

How about a laugh?

M$ hadn't replied yet...

and after full system restore from data partition- got same installing updates 3of 3 0%...

:cry:

@ dc 1- yes; 2- no go!; 3- not reasonable as actual indexes are not going to be of that big of importance; 4 done; 5 done

. . . . didn't get your 3rd point

after two unplesant e-mails to M$

Horray!- all is well!

reinstalled all 5 cleaners and patches from M$- managed to get rid of $tupid 3of3 ...0%

and SP2 gone through... rest of updates~ 700mb... but hey @ least it seems to be solved

thank you guys! :happy: :dance:

Okay so how long do you wait for it to move past 0%... and don't exaggerate.. real time here..

It was @ it about 2min every time and did not progressed, only went to reboot and once restared given me dreaded "error: 0x800f082f" pop up

. . . . didn't get your 3rd point

I did not managed to delete them files, si indexes to delete?- no point

believe you where advising on deleting of those

what a joy M$ brought to me ! :lol: :sneaky:

Archived