Gigabyte Aorus Z390 shows code A2 at boot, ... struck but boots after few minutes

anupam_luv

All my PC config on my signature
As the title says it ...

whenever I start my PC after it is shut down for say 6-7 hours it is struck at A2 code for about a minute ... it doesnt even enter the BIOS and interstingly after that whenever I reboot or shutdown start again it doesnt take a second..

I know this problem is related to boot device or sata cables... but my boot device is NVMe disk which is directly seated on motherboard so there's no point of loose cables etc.. in the BIOS its clearly showing same NVMe as boot device...

Googled a lot about it but no luck, because everybody's talking about Sata HDD and loose cables etc...

Any suggestions? 

4 hours ago, neofita said:

the motherboard battery may be low

It shouldnt be the case... I purchased the mobo in March 2019....

4 hours ago, Israeli_Eagle said:

First disable Fast Boot option in BIOS! :coolwink:

And then try maybe this:
https://windowsreport.com/fix-a2-boot-error/

Fast boot is already disabled but I try ur link .. but i dont understand why it doesnt happen in subsequent restarts... it happens only once after the PC is shut down for few hours ...

Edited by anupam_luv

@Israeli_Eagle No luck with your suggested link... btw i dont think there shld be any problem with ssd as after few minutes its boots normally... 

But when it is struck at A2 it doesnt even enter the bios

EnteringBios.thumb.jpg.572884269947131265c5a5706d422289.jpg

Heres is list of NVMe SSDs Connected to M.2

PluggedIn-Devices.thumb.jpg.dec8cdb556a9be64ee67372a50cd2d82.jpg

I connected the Bootable device which is sabrent rocket to M2P Slot ...

Can u suggest ..... is there's performance difference between M2A, M2M and M2P slot... although i researched a lot before building this PC ... I bought sabrent 4.0 this year.. although it is pcie 4.0 and my slot is 3.0 but I thought i will  upgrade my pc within next 2-3 years ... 

Israeli_Eagle

Hmmmmm...

1. Maybe it's simply the CMOS battery or it's contacts, try a new one! Costs only cents anyway.

2. Try to unplug all SATA cables, just to see whether it changes when rebooting after hours off.

20 hours ago, Israeli_Eagle said:

Hmmmmm...

1. Maybe it's simply the CMOS battery or it's contacts, try a new one! Costs only cents anyway.

2. Try to unplug all SATA cables, just to see whether it changes when rebooting after hours off.

Will surely check it and post the results...

On 12/2/2021 at 4:47 PM, Israeli_Eagle said:

Hmmmmm...

I tried your 2nd option first and found that my 1TB hdd was the culprit... I disconnected the sata cable and waited for 15 minutes and it boot instantly... i reconected another sata cable and waited 15 mins and it struck again on A2 code...  may be after shutting down for few minutes  Hdd taking time to start and bios keeps waiting for it to start...

Its smart status is showing a warning parameter "Ultra DMA CRC Error count" but I have seen this kind error in many hdds in past, and this Hdd is having this parameter value as 200 for almost 6-7 years ,Ive run windows 8/10 on this hdd for many years.... anyway  I will scan this Hdd for bad sectors...

Btw can u suggest any good software to check and regenerate bad sectors like we had HDD regenerator in old time... that should run within windows... Or I should run the native windows 11 chkdsk /f /r command in admin mode ??????

image.png.683363aa1b6d038cd95e96b9a2b15437.png

• Like 1

Israeli_Eagle

Try first a better cable and clean the plug contacts!

If the problem stays then the drive might simply aged and nothing work forever. And if you really care about your saved data I recommend better a new HDD, I myself would never trust regenerated bad sectors or such.

2 hours ago, Israeli_Eagle said:

If the problem stays then the drive might simply aged and nothing work forever. And if you really care about your saved data I recommend better a new HDD, I myself would never trust regenerated bad sectors or such.

As per my experience abt HDDs esp sata hdd, many hdds with bad sectors have troubled me in the past... i remember 10-12 yrs back an hdd (sata) wasnt letting boot the PC ... stuck at bios, not get past it, at that time there wasnt any A2 boot code etc, but i ran hdd regenerator whole night and regenerated many logoical bad sectors and next day it was working smoothly and tht 500gb hdd worked next 4-5 years until i replaced it ... and still there are 90% hdd that are returned have only logical bad sectors that can be removed via softwares .. but the process takes a lot of time now because we have to change the sata mode via bios and have to  run the tool in dos mode to do that

On 12/3/2021 at 8:46 PM, Israeli_Eagle said:

Problem solved... i first ran chkdsk /f /r and then ran wd disk lifeguard extended test but it didnt work.. then i took whole backup and deleted all partitions ... and kept shut down for an hour... switched it on and it booted instantly ...  now restoring all data back

Edited by anupam_luv
  • Like 1

Problem re-appeared after 1 day... after i restored all the data, after 2-3 restarts it started halting on A2 at boot .... as i said Ive already checked the hdd for bad sectors, but didnt find any , checked Surface via Hard disk sentinel but couldnt find anything doubtful

Changed sata port, sata cable , it worked for some time but after few hours it again start halting on A2 code.... i think hard disk have some internal mechanical problem which is causing it to delay to spin...  which cannot be caught be by Smart or other diagnostic tools... 

photo_2021-12-05_14-08-48.thumb.jpg.fc7f9af7933ef8eb964ff134e59fec7d.jpg

• Sad 1