Imaging Software

Betts1964

Hi,

I usually use acronis true image 2019 when imaging my PCs. The machines I used it on were Asus laptop and a homemade PC which I built. Never had any issues imaing or restoring using acronis. I just bought a new Lenovo laptop and want to image it but wasnt able to do it using acronis for some unknown reason.

For those of you who do image PCs and have a Lenovo machine, which imaging software do you use and had success with doing both imaging / restoring plz?

TIA

I have used several image-backup programs over the past 20 years and imho Macrium Reflect is the best by far (even its free edition)!  

Why?

1.  Reliability:  it has never failed to restore any of my Windows-based systems.

2.  Restore Speed:  unsurpassed by any other image-backup program.

3.  Backup Schedules:  easily create scheduled backups of single/multiple partitions.

4.  Optional Boot-Menu:  extremely handy for quickly restoring your system.

Edited by appzter
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Problem with Macrium Reflect is that it's compression algorithm is terrible, which results in large image file sizes. If you change the compression ratio to high, then it's terribly slow in backup/restore.  Good thing is yes it has a free version. 

You can also try Terabyte Image for Windows. Best all around and never failed me in more than 15 years. Try it first before you buy it.

18 hours ago, oliverjia said:

Problem with Macrium Reflect is that it's compression algorithm is terrible, which results in large image file sizes. If you change the compression ratio to high, then it's terribly slow in backup/restore.  Good thing is yes it has a free version. 

You can also try Terabyte Image for Windows. Best all around and never failed me in more than 15 years. Try it first before you buy it.

I haven't experienced any issues with MR's standard compression ratio? - in that regard I find little difference between it and IFW for comparable images. 

I agree that Terabyte IFW is very reliable, but the problem with IFW is that many backup operations (especially scheduling) are not easily accomplished by way of it's Windows GUI.

Note: All of my comments refer to hot-backups (which is all that I do). 

Edited by appzter

I like to play with R-Drive Image (long time they didn't update it) but still efficient, fast to create an image (less than 5 mn for a 100 Go partition) ... but never had to use these images so I can't tell you about a restore time.

I also experienced :

• Terabyte Image for Windows,
  • @ctive Disk Image (included in @ctive Data Studio)

On 11/2/2021 at 2:01 AM, Betts1964 said:

For those of you who do image PCs and have a Lenovo machine, which imaging software do you use and had success with doing both imaging / restoring plz?

Macrium Reflect

+1 Terabyte Image for Windows (very reliable, great compression)

+1 Macrium Reflect (very reliable, easy to use, boot cd has excellent boot repair facility)

• Thanks 2