need help : new dvd (empty disc) not being recognised

chlorophyll

chlorophyll

hi frenz

small problem with my dvd driver??

i donno whats going on :blink: .all new dvds were not opening in my laptop.even i bought NEW SONY DVDS.same problem

mine is dell vostro 1510.win7 ult,intelcore 2 duo,1.8ghz,2gb ram

but previously recorded dvds were opening in my dvd driver.just now anydvd also.but problem persisted.anydvd,isobuster were unable to trace out new dvd.what could be the reason .pls help me :blink:

• Replies 10
  • Views 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sl@pSh0ck™

Make sure that the DVDs your using are not corrupted or something ... try to run it in a different pc w/ DVD writer if you can to check.

You can also try to format your blank DVDs, it would return an error message if it is corrupted.

@ravi

i had the same problem , a few days back.

the drive was not picking up audio dvd s and failed to read some data discs also .

rest all seemed to work fine .

i just did the 'last known good configuration' option , in advanced start up mode .

n all came back to normal .

u can try it .

and check if dell provided you with a recovery kit .

in it , there are options for restoring your hard ware drivers , try restoring them ........

and one more thing you can try is ,

i dont know which burner you use , but i use cyberlink and it has an option of "check drive for info",,, where it tells everything about the disc inserted in the drive like empty, capacity , sectors , speed and all that ..

try it and see if it reports anything for the disc info ....

( a system restore might also work , coz i remember , once on my old desktop , the drive started makin strange sounds while reading a disc and then failed to read it )...

chlorophyll

thanks frens for all da suggestions.so u people say theres nothing wrong with my dvd driver?yeah i could say that coz if its wrong with driver then it should not recognize any dvd.my previous recorded dvds were recognized.ok i wil try as u people said.but if u get any more info regarding my problem pls report here.thank u

You may also want to check and see if there is a need to upgrade your Firmware.. this can be a common problem.. I almost never found mine because it was built ( the DVD Drive ) by Dell for another company ( yet it has another company PHILLIPS ) listed as the manufacturer.. so actually by PHILLIPS, reconfigured by DELL and sold to the laptop's company for installation as OEM.. so I had to back track the version and find the correct Firmware from DELL.. not Phillips..

There are random issues though that can occur when reading it and with AutoPlay.. also with empty ones that will just show as nothing until yo open a Program and burn something to it..

chlorophyll

then whats da procedure to upgrade firmware.should i contact dell?

Most common should be to go to Properties for the drive.. get the Model number and manufacturer name. Start by searching the company that made the computer.. If nothing is found there, then go with the manufacturer for the model number and any upgrades you need for it from either Support or Drivers section ( which should possibly contain the Firmware as well ).. These two areas can be swapped and vice/versa .. manufacturer/OEM Company.. and the reason I say go with OEM company first is because there can be slight differences in the firmware because the compatibility phase.. SO I would say there first..

Then the most common method is to burn your files as instructed to a disc.. w/e type they indicate.. and run the disk .. some rare older drives also have a utility that this can be done with .. but it isn't that common and unlikely anyone will ever see that again.. Just make sure you double-read the instructions and wait for it to finish before initiating anything on your system..

IF you do not find anything there .. which is common of 'less-mainstream/obsolete' models.. Then plug the model number precisely a it is with the word firmware after it into Metacrawler.com and see usually the first page of results for any place mentioning it on about five search engines..

I had a similar problem with a drive some time ago. I found that it was simply dust accumulation over the laser lens. I just opened the drawer and blew several blasts of canned air over it and all was well. Don't know if this would work in your situation, but it would be worth a try before going to anything extreme. Good luck!

Ravi,

Can you report back whether your drive is enabled/disabled in the 'Device Manager?' ;)

2iqkh0z.jpg

• Administrator

Yea firmware update can do the job for you.

Some simple questions. What's the drive's model number? Does the DVD spin? It cannot read both CD/DVD, original/pirated?

Installed any burning/mounting related software recently? Did any changes to the system?

LOL.. and cleaning is the first best choice..then checking to make sure its connected and working proper.. I always forget the first steps and jump to.. ' It needs work.. ' LOL

Archived