sata vs usb speeds

Jime234

Hi,

I have a 5400 rpm 500 GB laptop hdd.

I tested its speed with crystal disk mark in the laptop and the speeds were about 20 mbps.

But when I tested the same hdd with a usb enclosure, the speeds were about 90 mbps!

how can there be such a huge difference? Am I missing some drivers or something?

Not sure what you are measuring, Disk speed or 'Transfer / Copy Speed' ?

Have you reported that ^^ the correct way round ?

For sure, SATA is many times faster than a USB2 or 3 port connection - maybe your AV was running or some other program . 

Either you have made a mistake in speed test or something is wrong with your SATA driver/setup.

As mentioned above, SATA transfer rate is way higher than any USB port protocol/connection.

17 hours ago, J.D said:

Not sure what you are measuring, Disk speed or 'Transfer / Copy Speed' ?

Have you reported that ^^ the correct way round ?

For sure, SATA is many times faster than a USB2 or 3 port connection - maybe your AV was running or some other program . 

1 hour ago, DLord said:

Either you have made a mistake in speed test or something is wrong with your SATA driver/setup.

As mentioned above, SATA transfer rate is way higher than any USB port protocol/connection.

I used to think the same until I noticed this weird thing!

I noticed it when I was copying files from the system to the usb enclosure hdd.

Then I tested it with CrystalDiskMark8 as usual to make sure.

How can I go wrong with my SATA setup? Is there a chance that I actually did not install a SATA driver software of some sorts?

check BIOS for HDD mode (it must be SATA and not IDE)

1 hour ago, Jime234 said:

I used to think the same until I noticed this weird thing!

I noticed it when I was copying files from the system to the usb enclosure hdd.

Then I tested it with CrystalDiskMark8 as usual to make sure.

How can I go wrong with my SATA setup? Is there a chance that I actually did not install a SATA driver software of some sorts?

Quite possibly no SATA driver - how old is your laptop ? Modern laptops over the past 5-6 years use a SATA 6 gigabyte driver, before that they were SATA 3 - look in Device Manager, tick "show hidden devices" at top under view, then look down the list for 'Storage Controllers and click it - I'm assuming of course that you have an Intel CPU and if so likely to have an Intel Storage Controller driver  

1 hour ago, neofita said:

check BIOS for HDD mode (it must be SATA and not IDE)

39 minutes ago, J.D said:

Quite possibly no SATA driver - how old is your laptop ? Modern laptops over the past 5-6 years use a SATA 6 gigabyte driver, before that they were SATA 3 - look in Device Manager, tick "show hidden devices" at top under view, then look down the list for 'Storage Controllers and click it - I'm assuming of course that you have an Intel CPU and if so likely to have an Intel Storage Controller driver  

alright, lemme chk