Strange laptop problem

d3v

Hi all,

Just recieved a customers laptop. It's details are as follows....

Samsung R510

MODEL: NP-R510-FAA2UK

The thing starts okay but the screen is completely blank and I don't think it is posting either because I have waited for upto 20 minutes to make sure I would be on the system logon password prompt, put in his password, hit enter and didn't hear the Windows logon tune play.

Another reason I'm pretty sure it's not POSTING is because the HDD activity LED is not blinking whatsoever!

I have taken out the laptops harddrive and backed his data up, so the harddrive works just fine.

I have also linked the laptop to my monitor screen with no joy which makes me think the laptops graphics chip is dead???

I havn't tried the RAM. Should I?

I have tried resetting the CMOS but I could not find either a battery or a jumper as I peered through the gap with a torch. I say "peered through the gap" becuase I have no idea how I would ever fit those strip cables back together if I fully seperated the casing from the motherboard! Just how the the crap would anyone be able to fit those things back in place, anyway?

And lastly, there is NO info on google about this laptop/problem. Useually there is many discussions about a particular problem on a particular laptop, but not this one!

• Replies 9
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

access the bios and then access safe mode

• Administrator

Yea check the RAM. And everything you can check. There's some problem in the hardware. Probably that device is not getting detected easily. At times it occurs even when the device is working properly.

Okay yeah a simple suggestion.. but are all of the settings right and normalized in the BIOS? I know some get pretty hairy in there...LOL

@d3v:

See if you can find a diagram of the laptop. Once you have that, you should have no problem overhauling.

I do think removing the CMOS battery or using the jumpers are your only options here.

What you can also try is plugging every cable out and the right back in again, ensuring everything connects properly. I once fixed my desktop doing that, somehow :P Don't expect this to work though...

The RAM probably doesn't have anything to do with it, since it doesn't even get past at the BIOS settings.

I tested the RAM it's perfectly fine.

Dudes I already said I can't get into the BIOS! The motherboard is definately faulty.

I can't find a blown-up diagram of this particular laptop so I think i'm gonna call it a day to be on the safe side. I really. really don't want to unplug those ridicuously fiddly strip cables only to find I am unable to fit them back again. This has happened quite a few times and it's horrendous!

I've backed his data up anyhow, so atleast that's one thing. I won't be charging him.

me think you need to knock on his freaken door and have a nice chat

Archived