SVChost.exe Doing strange things!

Jamesm

Do you actually have an Nvidia Network Access Manager Program?.. I used to get this when I upgraded my Atheros Wireless by using the driver package for the card from the manufacturer.. It would actually install a manager and no longer use Wireless Zero Config from Microsoft.. Which actually is better and unnecessary as long as Windows loads your driver for the card.. in which effect either from Microsoft, the manufacturer, or other.. Windows will use its built in ability to manage your connections.. ( which honestly I think is better anyway ).. less crap and more direct.. all in one place and works together..

You may even have an option to turn it off or uninstall it from the Control Panel..

EDIT: IMO.. I think thi sis going to be a loop back in your own network.. polling, refreshin and updating UPnP Devices and their resources.. willing to bet your router is UPnP enabled.. you could turn off these things in your OS as well.. and see if it has any effect.. if you haven't already tried..

• Replies 29
  • Views 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you actually have an Nvidia Network Access Manager Program?.. I used to get this when I upgraded my Atheros Wireless by using the driver package for the card from the manufacturer.. It would actually install a manager and no longer use Wireless Zero Config from Microsoft.. Which actually is better and unnecessary as long as Windows loads your driver for the card.. in which effect either from Microsoft, the manufacturer, or other.. Windows will use its built in ability to manage your connections.. ( which honestly I think is better anyway ).. less crap and more direct.. all in one place and works together..

You may even have an option to turn it off or uninstall it from the Control Panel..

EDIT: IMO.. I think thi sis going to be a loop back in your own network.. polling, refreshin and updating UPnP Devices and their resources.. willing to bet your router is UPnP enabled.. you could turn off these things in your OS as well.. and see if it has any effect.. if you haven't already tried..

Yes my router is indeed UPnP enabled. I have been monitoring the polling, I'm not sure what is considered normal, but there doesn't seem to be an excess of activity being recorded in that regard. I mentioned in the first post that I turning off UPnP services put a stop to the traffic. It's nice to have UPnP for certain applications though and I'd rather leave it on. It wasn't so much the activity that was suspicious, it was the amount of data being sent. One day it was over 1gb!

In any event, I think uninstalling the Nforce Network Access Manager has solved my problems. SVChost traffic has slowed down considerably, and so far my browser has not crashed. I've heard bad things about those Nforce drivers and many people have had issues with their "hidden" firewall. There was clearly a problem with the implementation of those drivers on this system... 10 process entries for one file? Little bit of a hint IMO.

You're right though, Windows 7 does a great job handling the Ethernet connections all by itself, manufacturer drivers are probably more of a hindrance than a help.

:thumbsup: Good to know!

Oh yea, and just incase my problem really is solved... Thanks a ton for all your help guys!! It's been informative and fun!

Windows 7 does a great job handling the Ethernet connections all by itself, manufacturer drivers are probably more of a hindrance than a help.

I agree with you totally :dance2:

Archived