Issues Formatting a SanDisk Cruzer 16 GB USB pendrive....

Tickler

So I got a 16 GB SanDisk Cruzer pen drive which I am unable to read, write and format.

Chronology of events resulting in the issue and the attempted fixes:

1) Formatted and wrote Live Kali Linux using Rufus with Persistent storage .

2) However, when I used to boot with the USB, sometimes I ran Live Kali without persistence and sometimes with persistence which may have created the issue.

3) The Kali suddenly stopped booting and stopped moving beyond the loading screen.

4) I thought to boot into Windows 10 and backup whatever data was there and format and rewrite another Linux system but it couldn't read, after several retries, I decided to format but it failed.

5) I thought maybe because it had been formatted with a different file system than the one windows uses i.e Fat and NTFS,

6) I started creating another Kali linux on different sandisk cruzer 32 gb pen drive but realizing that I am writing different kali version that doesn't run live, I cancelled midway.

7) I downloaded latest Kali Live and started rufus to start burning Kali Live again but it failed giving the same error as my 16 gb pen drive.

.8) I tried 32 gb pen drive to format but it didn't.

9) I booted windows into safe mode and then tried formatting again which worked for the 32 GB pen drive but it didn't for the 16 GB pen drive.

10) I booted back to normal windows, properly wrote Kali Live on 32 GB drive, hoping that it will be able to read and format the 16 GB drive but it didn't.

11) Last I tried opening Disk Management on Windows after plugging in 16 GB pen drive and thought to delete the partition on which kali was written and recreate a new partiton from unallocated space. It deleted the partition successfully,

diskmgmt.jpg.9f8ea9272746d726b655406231b6a7ee.jpg

But gives error when  I try creating new partition

diskmgmt1.thumb.jpg.24a261861d03962368dfe72b5909f590.jpg

Also tried plugging the USB into other computers. Didn't work.

I don't know if there are any other fixes left to try. I am guessing it is unable to format the drive which is why it is unable to create new partitions. Any Ideas?

Edited by Tickler

Initially Try SDFormatter. - NOTE: Don't rely on crappy tools that promise fixing these issues. They work on some models/brands only and might cause new issues.

If not fixed, then replacement is the only possible solution for SanDisk USB/Flash Drives/Cards. - Reason: SanDisk/WD doesn't offer any tool to the public to fix these issues and they recommend replacement only.

Try contacting support. If they share similar tools for this model, it'd be easy fix. Else, replacement!

FYI: Brands like Strontium offer downloads to fix these issues. Check this: http://strontium.biz/support/downloads/

Also, they give lifetime limited warranty.

Suggestion: Try using products with better support & reliability. Don't get dragged by Brand Names. If you are able to get Strontium in your country along with Support availability, then it's a better option.

Edited by vissha

some times I solved it by zero-filling the drive (you can also use Ccleaner)

regards