.NET 5 and Windows 7

funkyy

I've Googled this question before bothering anyone on Nsane...but I can't get a straight "Yes" or "No" answer...I think it's against Microsoft policy

to give straightforward answers. I have Windows 7 Pro (x64) and .NET 4 installed. I have the ESU Bypass installed so I get updates each patch Tuesday.

I just tried to install the latest version of Handbrake but it requires .NET 5...so my question is can I install .NET 5 on my Windows system?

Thanks in advance for any answers given.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

2 hours ago, Israeli_Eagle said:

Hi again, I made an image of my computer (just in case) before doing the install of .NET 5.0.8.

The installation went normally and I got the message confirming successful installation.

However on checking installed programs list it shows only .NET 4.8.03761 and in installed updates

list it shows last .NET update was on 13th July (patch Tuesday).

I checked with 2 programs "DotNetVersion" and "dotnet" and both show .NET 4.8 installed.

My Windows 7 installation disc was by TeamOS and I installed it around 2018/2019. It works

fine, stable etc but it seems to refuse to update past .NET 4.8. I don't have the necessary tech savvy

to figure out why, but I'll stick with this Windows 7 until other programs are updated to versions that

require .NET 5 and then I'll consider moving to a newer Windows 10, 11 etc.

Thanks again for your time and consideration.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

• Like 1

Israeli_Eagle
7 hours ago, funkyy said:

Hi again, I made an image of my computer (just in case) before doing the install of .NET 5.0.8.

The installation went normally and I got the message confirming successful installation.

However on checking installed programs list it shows only .NET 4.8.03761 and in installed updates

I checked with 2 programs "DotNetVersion" and "dotnet" and both show .NET 4.8 installed.

My Windows 7 installation disc was by TeamOS and I installed it around 2018/2019. It works

fine, stable etc but it seems to refuse to update past .NET 4.8. I don't have the necessary tech savvy

to figure out why, but I'll stick with this Windows 7 until other programs are updated to versions that

require .NET 5 and then I'll consider moving to a newer Windows 10, 11 etc.

Thanks again for your time and consideration.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Because .NET 5 can only be used as Runtime, but not as base OS Framework!!

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/core/dotnet-five

Edited by Israeli_Eagle

9 hours ago, funkyy said:

On Windows 7, you should find the Microsoft Windows .NET Desktop Runtime - xxx(xxx) installation in your "Add or Remove Programs"

On my Windows 10, the Microsoft Windows .NET Desktop Runtime - xxx(xxx) installation appears under "Apps & features"

If you've got any other 3rd party uninstaller like Total Uninstall Pro or Revo Uninstaller Pro, you'll find the Microsoft Windows .NET Desktop Runtime - xxx(xxx) listed there, as well.

Hello again guys.

First Israeli_Eagle:- I wouldn't know the difference between Runtime and Walktime....I just wanted to be able to install Handbrake 1.4 but it requires .NET 5.

Hopefully there's not a rush of my programs that require .NET 5 or I'll be forced to think seriously about Win 10/11..much the same reason I moved from WinXP to Win 7.

UberGeek:- thanks for your reply. You're right, I just checked installed programs list again and Microsoft Windows Desktop Runtime 5.0.8 (x64) is there....I hadn't scrolled down far enough after seeing Microsoft .NET Framework 4.8.

Ok, so what is the purpose of Desktop Runtime 5.0.8? Sorry for being so dumb, but this is new territory for me. Should I just leave the Desktop Runtime 5.0.8 installed?

Many thanks to both you guys for your input.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Edit:- So I should be able to install .NET Framework 5 ????

Edited by funkyy
first edit Tidy up lines. second edit added question

Israeli_Eagle

Simply install Windows Desktop Runtime 5.0.8 (x64).
Some software simply might need it to work, like for example the newest Handbrake. You can think it's like needing some DLLs or drivers.

BUT: It might also be possible that Handbrake does not work at all anymore on Win7, you can only try and test. On their website it displays "For Window 10 and later".

Clipboard01.jpg.55c5b5910f79fa392b42a748b194ffc8.jpg

And you cannot install a full .NET Framework 5 like versions before, because it does not exist and installs now a bit different. :coolwink:

Edited by Israeli_Eagle

2 hours ago, funkyy said:

UberGeek:- thanks for your reply. You're right, I just checked installed programs list again and Microsoft Windows Desktop Runtime 5.0.8 (x64) is there....I hadn't scrolled down far enough after seeing Microsoft .NET Framework 4.8.

Yes, you're right . . . the Microsoft Windows .NET Desktop Runtime - xxx(xxx) installation gets relegated to the bottom and is easily overlooked because by default Windows sorts by the Name column. My personal preference has always been to sort by the Install Date column . . . allowing all recently installed programs to populate the top positions.

2 hours ago, funkyy said:

Should I just leave the Desktop Runtime 5.0.8 installed?

Yes yes, it's supposed to be left installed . . . have bookmarked the page at the following link (for further updates):

https://dotnet.microsoft.com/download/dotnet/5.0/runtime

13 minutes ago, UberGeek said:

Yes, you're right . . . the Microsoft Windows .NET Desktop Runtime - xxx(xxx) installation gets relegated to the bottom and is easily overlooked because by default Windows sorts by the Name column. My personal preference has always been to sort by the Install Date column . . . allowing all recently installed programs to populate the top positions.

Yes yes, it's supposed to be left installed . . . have bookmarked the page at the following link (for further updates):

https://dotnet.microsoft.com/download/dotnet/5.0/runtime

OK UberGeek, I've bookmarked that page for future use.

So, one last question (for today lol)...can I now install .NET Framework 5?:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Israeli_Eagle
8 minutes ago, funkyy said:

So, one last question (for today lol)...can I now install .NET Framework 5?:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Erm......... Try to scroll up!! :whistle:

8 minutes ago, Israeli_Eagle said:

Erm......... Try to scroll up!! :whistle:

Ooops, sorry Israeli_Eagle, I missed your post because I went straight to the first new message lol.

Right, I downloaded an install version of Handbrake 1.4 and a portable version. First I clicked to start

the portable version and I got an ominous sounding warning about it not being supported on "any version of

Win 7 or Win 8".

So then I tried the install version...no warning message given and it installed without any problem.

I'll get round to checking how/if it works eventually

Many. many thanks to you and UberGeek for your patience and for enlightening me.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

• Thanks 1