Imaging question

Betts1964

I want to image my win 10 laptop and I would like to know if it is ok to use the laptop when it is being used instead of using a LIVE version of the software?

Thx

1 hour ago, Betts1964 said:

I want to image my win 10 laptop and I would like to know if it is ok to use the laptop when it is being used instead of using a LIVE version of the software?

Thx

Should be OK but I would plug in the power cable - and Image only the used sectors, not byte for byte as this will take much longer and the Image will be much larger requiring more storage space .

Ensure first you do have your 'recovery CD' burnt from the Imaging software, otherwise the Image you will be creating will be useless without it .  

Might have missed something. Do you mean that both the 'recovery CD' and the image would be necessary to restore the win 10 system? Thought that the image would be enough by itself.

8 hours ago, mp68terr said:

Might have missed something. Do you mean that both the 'recovery CD' and the image would be necessary to restore the win 10 system? Thought that the image would be enough by itself.

Yes - an Image cannot be restored without the recovery CD - if the system will not boot up, you cannot access your Image to restore it .

Even if your system is bootable and you have access to your Image, how will you restore that Image - clicking on it will not help nor is there any option in the context menu, the restore Image function is provided by the recovery CD - make sure you have the option set in your Bios to boot from CD   B)

@mp68terr @J.D @Betts1964

To restore a system image previously created by Windows itself (system partition+boot partition):

if the system does not boot, on the third attempt the Automatic Restore will start, then choose the system image previously created from inside Windows;

if the system boots, just reboot while holding down the Shift key, then it enters the Automatic Restore mode.

regards

Edited by neofita
  • Like 2

Indeed, the system has to boot up in order to access the image.

In point of fact I was thinking (would recommend) that the image was made through a live system in order not to mess up with win. This is always the way I'm doing it, with a 3rd party imaging SW too. Things might have changed with the latest win though.

Thanks for the added info/explanations.

I have been Imaging my C Drive daily (SSD) for 10 years .In that time, I have never had to re-install Win7 X64 from the MS Installation CD .I have infact got 4 x 3rd party SW Imaging programs installed, all of which are used daily .

The 3rd Party SW Imaging programs I use (and they ALL work) are:

1. AX Time Machine x64 - incremental backup every hour .(most used to roll-back an hour or a few)

2.Active Disk Image

3.Aomei  Backupper 

4.Image for Windows (IFW) by Tera byte Unlimited 

#2, 3 and 4 I keep 5 days worth of Images deleting the oldest .

All held on Backup HDD (WD 1TB blue) in their named respective folders - never let me down .

B)

• 1 month later...
Bl4ckCyb3rEnigm4

@Betts1964 In terms of speed it's better the live version of the software, if you need to continue using the computer you can safely go with the normal software. I heard good things about Acronis True Image, so I suggest you, in the case you're still searching a software that satisfy you, to try it out.

• Like 3

On 7/4/2021 at 7:30 PM, Betts1964 said:

Thx

It depends on the needs, for some PCs/Servers, it is rarely possible executing a shut down, due to the running/necessary services, so, the possibility to use a live system is rare, nullifying the concept of backup (automatic and frequent). Using a live system is a good solution but some of them may be slow because they haven't good drivers for your hardware. So, if speed is very important, it takes some time to find the best solution. If you install a backup program, you can use the system while creating a backup but I recommend using a high level program, avoid minimal solutions. A live system is the simplest method to restore the backup, you need it anyway. It can be created from the main program. Moreover, if you are familiar with the concept of incremental and differential backup, you will be able to drastically reduce the backup times. By definition, a backup is secure copy created on a different unit (eg. other internal disk, network unit, USB unit, etc). As said, using the right solution for your hardware will increase the speed. A live system can be modified but it requires time and skills, I'm sure you can find a perfectly working solution using well known products (created by Acronis, EaseUS, LSoft, Paragon, AOMEI, etc). Your post is not recent, have you solved the problem? please answer us

• Like 3

Is it me or has Acronis true image slowed down in speed the past few years in the amount of time it takes to image a pc say since 2018?

Could it be that there is more and more stuff to image since 2018?

Image the very same stuff with several versions of acronis true image and you will know 😉