[Answered]Remove JPEG Comment in Images?

vissha

Hi All,

Those who tried JPEGmini might've got this query. How to remove JPEG Comment "Optimized by JPEGmini version...-..." from JPEGmini Optimized Images?
Windows doesn't show up. Other tools/Gallery apps might show this field.

Which Exif tools read this and allow edit/remove these values.

Thanks.

Tools Tested & Reported Actions - Will be Updated as per nsaner comments.

Exif Pilot - doesn't list the JPEG Comment field. - Tested by me.

ExifTool - Success - Tested by andy2004

jStrip - Success - - Tested by andy2004

Edited by vissha
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Jogs said:

You can use XYplorer.

Right click>Properties>Details>Remove Properties and Personal Information.

Does XYplorer detect the JPEG Comment by JPEGmini? Does it allow edit/removal of JPEG Comment Only?

exiftool  would problably be the best bet.. and it does more than just remove comments.

Exiftool homepage its freeware. theres also a gui.. Its also used in advanced renamer. just replace it with the newest version.

I use it to remove garbage from picture files.. jpg, png,. bmp, etc.. can be use on video files. mp3 etc.

4 hours ago, andy2004 said:

exiftool  would problably be the best bet.. and it does more than just remove comments.

Exiftool homepage its freeware. theres also a gui.. Its also used in advanced renamer. just replace it with the newest version.

I use it to remove garbage from picture files.. jpg, png,. bmp, etc.. can be use on video files. mp3 etc.

Yes, Exiftool was the first that came to mind. However, they say backup image files, corruption and other known issues which made my think of trying other tools.
We are using these tools to reduce image storage size or anonymity. However, if backup is necessary, then why use this tool to duplicate files & increased storage use?
Did you get into any issues with Exiftool? If no, Have you tried removing JPEG Comment as mentioned in first post?

the only issue i every had using EXiftool was on a couple a video files and a few animated GIF files..

tried on MORE than however many files i currently have on my system.. currently i have 6 hdds.. with more than 2million per hdd.

Heres the command lines i use.

normal
exiftool -All= -a -u -overwrite_original -progress

heavy aka removes more information. set to ignore cd images and flv files.
exiftool -All= -a -u -U -r --ext iso --ext mdf --ext uif --ext flv --ext bin --ext mds -overwrite_original -progress

as above but ignored some video formats.

exiftool -All= -a -u -U -r --ext iso --ext mdf --ext uif --ext flv --ext bin --ext mds --ext mpg --ext m4v --ext mp4 --ext wmv --ext mkv --ext avi -overwrite_original -progress

exiftool -if "$FrameCount > 0" -directory=M:\0in2moved\gif\anim\ M:\0in2moved\gif\*.gif

<i use this one to sort out the animated gifs then use the app on the non-animated gif files.

I've never backed up the images before using..  picture just shows 1 of my drives.

Snap1.jpg

6 hours ago, andy2004 said:

the only issue i every had using EXiftool was on a couple a video files and a few animated GIF files..

tried on MORE than however many files i currently have on my system.. currently i have 6 hdds.. with more than 2million per hdd.

Heres the command lines i use.

normal
exiftool -All= -a -u -overwrite_original -progress

heavy aka removes more information. set to ignore cd images and flv files.
exiftool -All= -a -u -U -r --ext iso --ext mdf --ext uif --ext flv --ext bin --ext mds -overwrite_original -progress

as above but ignored some video formats.

exiftool -All= -a -u -U -r --ext iso --ext mdf --ext uif --ext flv --ext bin --ext mds --ext mpg --ext m4v --ext mp4 --ext wmv --ext mkv --ext avi -overwrite_original -progress

exiftool -if "$FrameCount > 0" -directory=M:\0in2moved\gif\anim\ M:\0in2moved\gif\*.gif

<i use this one to sort out the animated gifs then use the app on the non-animated gif files.

I've never backed up the images before using..  picture just shows 1 of my drives.

Snap1.jpg

5 hours ago, andy2004 said:

Theres another app you could always use to remove Jpeg Comments..

Jstrip.. freeware.. I use this aswell.. but it only works on .jpg not jpeg it doesnt see files with the e in them.

Jstrip link.. no longer available directly from creator. Majorgeeks link.

Snap2.jpg

Would try it & revert back. However, would you please specify the cmd line for removing only JPEG Comment using Exiftool? I'd try it and then use it as relevant.

Also, why the jStrip is abandoned? No latest updated alternatives?

1 hour ago, andy2004 said:

I use the default settings to remove ALL exif data..
There is a exiftool gui just copy the gui to the same folder as the exiftool.exe https://exiftool.org/gui/

I dont have any JPGmini optimized pictures to test it on.

Here is the sample JPEGmini optimized image:

Spoiler

295223224_OpenSource_Bulgaria.thumb.jpg.b750864dd3c0a58419b4818060320361.jpg

thanks for the sample..

to remove the comment its as simple as

Exiftool -comment= nameofjpg..

so

Exiftool -comment= 295223224_OpenSource_Bulgaria.thumb.jpg.b750864dd3c0a58419b4818060320361.jpg

where that filename is the above jpg image saved from my browser..

note: it wasnt Optimized by JPEGmini version...-... by infact CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 75.

note2: i put the file in the same folder as exiftool.. otherwise it would have been a longer line..
example..

Exiftool -comment= c:\users\yourname\downloads\filenameasabove.jpg

you can also change the comment.. by putting something after the = example to change to wow -comment=wow

nothing else removed.

right click picture.. save as.. you'll notice the creator: isnt in it anymore. 61bytes difference.

If your using Jstrip.. just remove all the ticks and leave  Remove Comments ticked..

Edited by andy2004
  • Like 2

• vissha changed the title to [Seems Resolved]Remove JPEG Comment in Images?

On 7/4/2021 at 9:05 AM, andy2004 said:

thanks for the sample..

to remove the comment its as simple as

Exiftool -comment= nameofjpg..

so

Exiftool -comment= 295223224_OpenSource_Bulgaria.thumb.jpg.b750864dd3c0a58419b4818060320361.jpg

where that filename is the above jpg image saved from my browser..

note: it wasnt Optimized by JPEGmini version...-... by infact CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 75.

note2: i put the file in the same folder as exiftool.. otherwise it would have been a longer line..
example..

Exiftool -comment= c:\users\yourname\downloads\filenameasabove.jpg

you can also change the comment.. by putting something after the = example to change to wow -comment=wow

nothing else removed.

right click picture.. save as.. you'll notice the creator: isnt in it anymore. 61bytes difference.

If your using Jstrip.. just remove all the ticks and leave  Remove Comments ticked..

Thanks for taking your time to help on this query!

Also, since you've been using ExifTool with expertise, would you please share your best way of installing / updating / backup restore settings / ....  ExifTool?

Edited by vissha

• vissha changed the title to [Answered]Remove JPEG Comment in Images?

I just download the latest version.. and copy it into my user folder.. aka /yourname/ so i can use it at the command prompt.. removing the (-k) part of the filename

I have a txt file with the command lines.. so all i need to change is the folder part.

I have posted those command lines above that i use.. I'm not expert in the use of exiftool.. the gif sort command line i found. I didnt write it.

Edited by andy2004
update information
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, andy2004 said:

I just download the latest version.. and copy it into my user folder.. aka /yourname/ so i can use it at the command prompt.. removing the (-k) part of the filename

I have a txt file with the command lines.. so all i need to change is the folder part.

I have posted those command lines above that i use.. I'm not expert in the use of exiftool.. the gif sort command line i found. I didnt write it.

Also, I was referring to Perl. Additionally, how would you see Oliver Betz - ExifTool Windows installer and portable?

Edited by vissha

I only use the single PC exe version.. no perl.
Never used oliver betz installer.. didnt even know until you posted it.. that it existed.

7 hours ago, andy2004 said:

I only use the single PC exe version.. no perl.
Never used oliver betz installer.. didnt even know until you posted it.. that it existed.

Thanks pal. The Oliver Betz page says "they never got any issues reported with it being installed over 3000 downloads by 2020". Also, it says [What you get is "plain ExifTool" plus a stripped "portable Strawberry Perl" plus my own tiny launcher, provided as a Windows installer or just packed together in a ZIP file]. Please test it with all your known commands and share your overall view - "ExifTool vs Oliver Betz ExifTool."

no need for me to test anything.. the perl script is the same script on the exiftool homepage.. that hasnt been compiled into a single exe file.. They use a different version of perl though.

• 1 month later...
Bl4ckCyb3rEnigm4

@vissha

Thread moved from Member's Corner to Software Chat

Member's Corner should be used to post updates related to new versions of software applications for non-mobile platforms that can't be posted on Software Update forum.

• Like 2