Defragging

vin3e

Guys right now i have a problem with using my O&O program. When i use the complete/access method or any other to be precise, ALL my files are locked. I get rows and rows or brown files. And then when its finished they all turn red and now im at 78% fragmented files.

My PC has become so choppy i cant even play games online. What the hell went wrong and why are they all in use. The mroe i defrag the higher the % of fragmented files.

My XP defrag doesnt work btw, youc an press buttons and stuff, but nothing else changes. So i cant use my default one.

Thanks guys

• Replies 13
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guys right now i have a problem with using my O&O program. When i use the complete/access method or any other to be precise, ALL my files are locked. I get rows and rows or brown files. And then when its finished they all turn red and now im at 78% fragmented files.

My PC has become so choppy i cant even play games online. What the hell went wrong and why are they all in use. The mroe i defrag the higher the % of fragmented files.

My XP defrag doesnt work btw, youc an press buttons and stuff, but nothing else changes. So i cant use my default one.

Thanks guys

O&P program? your window xp degraf should still show you a lay out of your harddrive. how much free room left on your harddrive and its orginal size?

O&O Program = Defrag Proggie

I cant use my XP Defrag cos it doesnt work at all. And my HD is 40, i haveonly used about 5 - 8 gigs so its not space problems.

Depending how which method you chose to defrag, i.e by last access time, alphabetical etc... this could be perfectly normal.

I know that if it hasn't been done in a while, then you could defrag your HDD from 20% and it'll go up to 70% before reducing to 0% after it's finished.

If you have a lot of folders, files etc... on the drive it might help if you removed it all or burned it to disk then running the app.

win xp defrat should still show the color graphic layout of the harddrive. is it doing that even? make sure nothing else is running. including virus scanners. maybe not enough memory for everything like that to run at the sametime. 40GB harddrive? dang thats old ;)

This is gettin ridiculous, ive ran Win XP defrag 5 times and it still keeps going up, but the chart looks like its improving. Let me show you 2 pics.

gay1dy6.th.jpg gay2uu8.th.jpg

Look how bad it is ><

This is gettin ridiculous, ive ran Win XP defrag 5 times and it still keeps going up, but the chart looks like its improving. Let me show you 2 pics.

gay1dy6.th.jpg gay2uu8.th.jpg

Look how bad it is ><

make sure everything else is off. including virus scanner and screen saver. run win defrag over night. make sure your internet is off. try that. you do have a bit of fragging. im going to guess its p2p files? never p2p on c: drive.

oh the admin S didnt say anything but i think your Extensive on the bottom of your messages may be a no no.

• Administrator

Do an offline defrag with O&O. Different programs may show stuff is fragmented when it really isn't (like when one program has already done its job).

FYI - PerfectDisk8, if U encounter a "not able to defrag offline" message...

Get more info here:

http://www.perfectdisk8.com/support/window...494&issue=3

Boot time defrag fails to run:

When attempting to perform a boot time defragmentation pass, I get a "failed to open" or "driver conflict" message or the system reboots without performing the boot time defrag.

Some 3rd party products open the drive for write access prior to PerfectDisk's boot time defrag being able to mount the drive for exclusive access. If the drive has been opened for write access, PerfectDisk will not be able to perform a boot time defrag and PerfectDisk's boot time defrag will not run so that there is no chance for file system issues to occur.

Depending on the 3rd party product, you may either see a "failed to open" message from PerfectDisk or a "possible driver conflict" message on the screen. The following 3rd party products have been found to prevent PerfectDisk's boot time defrag from running. There may be other products not listed that also prevent PerfectDisk's boot time defrag from running.

Here is the solution:

OFFLINE DEFRAG WORKS!

For me the sinner was "sptd", a hidden device used by DAEMON Tools. I have disabled it in the Device Manager and the offline defrag has worked!Then reboot and have enabled again. I know it's tricky but for the moment this is the only way to get OFFLINE DEFRAG work! Alcohol 120% also uses the very driver.

"sptd.sys" is also used by Alcohol 120%. Directions follow if anyone needs them.

1) Right mouse click on “My Computer” and select “Manage”

2) Click on Device Manager

3) Click “View” and then select “Show Hidden Devices”

4) Click “View” and then select “Devices by Connection”

5) Scroll down until you see "sptd"

6) Right mouse click on "sptd" and select “Disable”. Click “Yes” to confirm disabling of this device Windows will prompt you to reboot. Select “Reboot Later”

7) Open Raxco PerfectDisk v.8 and select an “Offline Defragmentation”.

:sneaky: Reboot system

9) Perform a boot time defragmentation pass with PerfectDisk

10) After the boot time defrag has completed and Windows has restarted, re-enable sptd by following the above instructions and selecting “Enable”.

An other Free Disk Defragmentation Program

From the site: Auslogics Disk Defrag

Disk fragmentation leads to system slowdowns, PC crashes, slow startup and shutdown and sometimes to system failures. Auslogics Disk Defrag® is designed for fast optimization of today's modern hard disks. Get the maximum performance out of your expensive hardware investments. And it's absolutely FREE.

http://www.auslogics.com/disk-defrag/index.php

This edition of Auslogics Disk Defrag was designed specifically for the users of Windows XP Home, Windows XP Professional, Windows 2000, Windows 2003 / NT, as well as the new Windows Vista.

etc...

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you for Auslogics Disk Defrag !! Hope it works. I was using Diskeeper 10 Pro, but having trouble getting it to work right lately.

SpeeDefrag 4.0

SpeeDefrag is the exclusive freeware program , which optimizes Windows XP defrag. It restarts your computer, which refreshes the RAM and loads just the defrag.exe program.This imposes minimum load on the system and therefore defragmentation speed is increased.This small software will also shutdown or restart your computer automatically once defrag is over. Also now it supports scheduling of defrag.

SpeeDefrag.jpg

Download

I prefer using this..

If you want you want after this defrag one can use O&O or DiskDefrag for defrag by last access time...

Archived