Seagate ST3000DM001 issue

Gerry85

Hi there!

My Seagate external USB (enclosure) HD became RAW.

The "normal" formatting didn't worked,neither by DISKPART nor by Disk Management.

Any idea how to fix the HD to be usable again?

Thanks a lot!

• 2 weeks later...

I managed to bring back the HDD to NTFS,but shows the "Device is not ready" or "Device is not exist" alternating.

After power on,for 1-3 min. the light of the external enclosure blinks,and after that stays steady.

CrystalDiskInfo shows at "Health Status": "Caution" 

(yellow dots)

- 05 Reallocated Sectors Count                 53         53       36

-C5 Current Pending Sector Count            37           1          0   

-C6 Uncorrectable Sector Count                 37           1         0

• 2 weeks later...
pushkargogte
On 6/10/2021 at 6:36 AM, Gerry85 said:

I managed to bring back the HDD to NTFS,but shows the "Device is not ready" or "Device is not exist" alternating.

After power on,for 1-3 min. the light of the external enclosure blinks,and after that stays steady.

(yellow dots)

The issue I am facing now is it that I cannot format the external HDD in NTFS format, but it does gets formatted in exFAT format.

Edited by pushkargogte

11 hours ago, Gerry85 said:

My?

These items above basically tells you that there are quite a lot of bad sectors on your HDD. It's physically dead sectors and these would normally expand to the whole HDD in a short time. So yeah, your HDD is basically dead. Backup the data on it ASAP to a new drive.

On 6/10/2021 at 6:36 AM, Gerry85 said:

(yellow dots)

On 6/21/2021 at 3:39 PM, pushkargogte said:

The issue I am facing now is it that I cannot format the external HDD in NTFS format, but it does gets formatted in exFAT format.

Some years ago, I had managed to fix the same issues on my old Seagate ST32000641AS . . . with the help of HDD Low Level Format Tool.

The disk worked for a few months, after being fixed . . . I remember trashing it for a higher storage capacity disk.

• Thanks 1

On 6/10/2021 at 4:06 AM, Gerry85 said:

(yellow dots)

U need a new hdd :(

pushkargogte
On 6/27/2021 at 4:56 PM, UberGeek said:

Some years ago, I had managed to fix the same issues on my old Seagate ST32000641AS . . . with the help of HDD Low Level Format Tool.

The disk worked for a few months, after being fixed . . . I remember trashing it for a higher storage capacity disk.

HDD Low Level Format Tool did worked for me. Only issue was that I had to initialise the HDD disk again and then again had to format it like a New Volume with NTFS file system.

As after formatting was finished HDD Low Level Format Tool showed Yellow progress bar and External HDD when offline, but it did resolved the issue after playing with disk Management tool.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/27/2021 at 2:55 AM, oliverjia said:

These items above basically tells you that there are quite a lot of bad sectors on your HDD. It's physically dead sectors and these would normally expand to the whole HDD in a short time. So yeah, your HDD is basically dead. Backup the data on it ASAP to a new drive.

Is there any way to fix bad sectors?

On 6/27/2021 at 2:19 PM, A2R14N said:

U need a new hdd :(

I bought a WD102KRYZ,so far so good,however runs a little hotter than desktop HDDs.

22 hours ago, Gerry85 said:

Is there any way to fix bad sectors?

It's physical degradation, I would not recommend any attempt to fix bad sectors. Simple buy a new drive

On 7/1/2021 at 8:37 PM, pushkargogte said:

HDD Low Level Format Tool did worked for me. Only issue was that I had to initialise the HDD disk again and then again had to format it like a New Volume with NTFS file system.

As after formatting was finished HDD Low Level Format Tool showed Yellow progress bar and External HDD when offline, but it did resolved the issue after playing with disk Management tool.

Glad the HDD Low Level Format Tool worked for you . . . one does indeed have to initialize the repaired disk since the HDD Low Level Format Tool works at a really deep level (even when the other option . . . "quick wipe" option is used.)

You might want to use your favorite disk monitoring program to keep a watchful eye on your repaired disk . . . my personal choice is the portable form of Crystal Disk Info.

• Thanks 1