How to disable Windows Update using... Windows?

Randy Lahey

haris_sane69
11 hours ago, cosy said:

This will notify when updates are available

Greetings @cosy

In addition to disable auto updates I also want to know how one can disable this update notifiaction, Its very annoying some times?

Regards

13 minutes ago, haris_sane69 said:

I also want to know how one can disable this update notifiaction, Its very annoying some times?

Can you try to be more specific?

Do you mean the icon in the taskbar?

Regards

• Like 2

haris_sane69
5 minutes ago, cosy said:

Do you mean the icon in the taskbar?

Nope I mean the side notification like below 

powertoys-notification-toast.png

Have you tried the little "Windows Update Blocker"? It's just one very small exe file but it works perfectly. I used it for a few years on my other PC and 'NO' updates - Major updates (the real "big ones" were usually around October each year) always caused my PC to not work well at all EVERY time, and I would have to restore an older working image each time to fix it,, then I tried the utility and for the next few years there were no more updates at all. Now I have a new PC and continue to run it and I think it is also still working on Win 10 20H2. Time will tell just how well...

I just saw right now that version 1.6 is available,, I still use original 1.0. I might update that soon... Go here where I just went to and view things and DL if you wish - I did - https://www.sordum.org/9470/windows-update-blocker-v1-6/

InsaneAl

• Like 2

It's not, or shouldn't be, about blocking updates completely - but rather about making them happen when  it's convenient for the user.

Blocking system updates completely is of course stupid. Controlling how/when they happen is smart.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, haris_sane69 said:

Nope I mean the side notification like below

This notification belongs to Microsoft Store Updates, Do you want to stop Store updates notifications?

@Randy Lahey

All the tools you need to keep Windows Updates blocked, exist right there . . . on your OS.

You can use Group Policies and/or your native firewall to block Windows Updates.

To pick & choose what update you'd like . . . for your Windows, you can launch a search with your OS build at the following official Microsoft site:-

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/home.aspx

7 hours ago, zinoswink said:

Exactamundo, except I'd use version 2.7.3 rc1.

@zinoswink Interesting - so is that version very stable in your experience?  And why not use 2.7.3 RC1a while you're about it?

Edited by wolfie

6 hours ago, wolfie said:

@zinoswink Interesting - so is that version very stable in your experience?  And why not use 2.7.3 RC1a while you're about it?

Yes wolfie, Official Sledgehammer 2.7.3 rc1 & the wub v1.1 fix has worked flawlessly for me since I started using it in Dec. 2020.

I've used Sledgehammer script since v2.6.0 beginning in 2019.

2.7.3 rc1a is an unofficial build compiled by another MDL member from pf100's original script.

It may work fine but I've stayed with pf100's official build.

Sledgehammer has worked well for me on all the various new Windows 10 builds up to 19043.1023.