[Actioned]When do these reaction spammers or abusers be stopped?

vissha
Go to solution Solved by Matt,

@Matt & other Admin/Mod/Staff:

For years, we are the seeing
Activation topic posts are given reactions by some members (10/20/30 reactions within seconds by the same member). They don't read the content posted, they just give reactions to every post in the thread. We know there is a limitation to reactions count per day. However, this isn't stopping the reaction spammers/abusers.

If anyone viewing the nsane activity page for a few hours or a day or two, you'd be aware of it.

Hope we find a better way to block these in future.

Edited by vissha

• Administrator

@vissha I have made those limitation as a part of the solution, and if you see that it didn't really fix it, may you please give us what's in your mind from ideas or suggestions to fix this issue. 

6 minutes ago, Israeli_Eagle said:

How's about auto timeout, same as searching? :coolwink:

Good suggestion but setting limits properly would be a problem for the nsane team. It should be done based on the threads(time limit for reactions per thread, if abused, then complete reaction ban anywhere in nsane for the member for a week) and not overall to avoid breaking the ease of use of the feature to other users.

Edited by vissha
  • Like 3

Israeli_Eagle
31 minutes ago, vissha said:

Good by setting limits would be a problem. It should be done based on the threads(time limit for reactions per thread, if abused, then complete reaction ban anywhere in nsane for the member for a week) and not overall to avoid breaking the ease of use of the feature to other users.

Plus every timeout error (like those scripter kids might do) should restart the timeout or even auto double every time.

Or even better... Scripts always have the same time between reactions and could be detected (of around 1/10 second). :coolwink:

Edited by Israeli_Eagle

Have a better idea.. how about a warning system.

first warning.. 24hr ban from posting, clicking on the reactions.

2nd            48hrs ban

3rd 1 week

4th 1month

5th 1 year

6th life time.

• Like 2

Time Limit And Number Limit Of Likes/Thanks Per Topic And Per Member.

Edited by PLASMA

7 hours ago, Israeli_Eagle said:

Plus every timeout error (like those scripter kids might do) should restart the timeout or even auto double every time.

@Israeli_EagleNo, this might be backlash from new members as they are yet to explore the rules they might've read and hindering their exploration would be a negative feedback to those who wanna join. However, the second suggestion might be good.

5 hours ago, andy2004 said:

2nd            48hrs ban

3rd 1 week

4th 1month

5th 1 year

6th life time.

@andy2004This seems too harsh. Why ban from posting? I understand you referred to the rage the member might show for the ban/block. However, Nsaners would think against freedom of speech here for the initial warning and new members might be frightened to give reactions.

Edited by vissha

Israeli_Eagle
41 minutes ago, vissha said:

@Israeli_EagleNo, this might be backlash from new members as they are yet to explore the rules they might've read and hindering their exploration would be a negative feedback to those who wanna join. However, the second suggestion might be good.

But of course I meant that doubling only within of the timeout error again, but otherwise back to normal timeouts. Plus doubling might also have a limit, so cannot become days or weeks.

Members would understand that very fast I think, even more if it would be displayed.

Edited by Israeli_Eagle

my suggestion doesnt seem harsh.. as it would only effect those who only come to click the reactions.. 1 after the other and not read...

I think that after the first 24hr ban.. and a notification as to why the ban.. the visitor would get the idea so 2-6 wouldnt be an issue.

Only those people who insist on "reacting" within seconds would be effected.. those would are actually reading and reacting it wouldnt..

If example they where reacting on the JOKE OF THE DAY PAGE.. and it was a short joke.. then still the time between posting would still be greater than a

difference of 5seconds.. and not 1second.. unless it was a picture as the joke..  but the JOTD could be excempt..

I personally read before i react.. if i even bother to react..

6 hours ago, andy2004 said:

my suggestion doesnt seem harsh.. as it would only effect those who only come to click the reactions.. 1 after the other and not read...

I think that after the first 24hr ban.. and a notification as to why the ban.. the visitor would get the idea so 2-6 wouldnt be an issue.

Only those people who insist on "reacting" within seconds would be effected.. those would are actually reading and reacting it wouldnt..

If example they where reacting on the JOKE OF THE DAY PAGE.. and it was a short joke.. then still the time between posting would still be greater than a

difference of 5seconds.. and not 1second.. unless it was a picture as the joke..  but the JOTD could be excempt..

I personally read before i react.. if i even bother to react..

If there are too many clauses, Moderation would be complex even if Automation used. Nsane is not an org and the team is working as a passion. Since this might create more moderation issues, handling would be a problem.
However, I prefer automated solution without burden on mod/staff. If Nsane Team & Long time Nsaners agrees, then that's a different case.

• 2 months later...

Important Information

Matt

By Matt
08/01/2021

Due to the abusing of the use of the reaction button we have decided to reduce the number of reactions allowed to give per day, so make sure you do give the reaction in the right place.

Thanks for taking action on this abuse.

Hope to see nsaners' valid reactions for posts/RSU.

It's not about limiting reactions, it's about how we use it. Nsaners, don't take it negatively. You can always give reactions but let it be for a good/acceptable reason.

• vissha changed the title to [Working On]When do these reaction spammers or abusers be stopped?
On 30/05/2021 at 11:09 AM, andy2004 said:

2nd            48hrs ban

3rd 1 week

4th 1month

5th 1 year

6th life time.

This is a good suggestion and might deter the majority of these people or , hopefully, re-educate them and

make them change their behaviour.

It would need the moderators to be certain that the person being warned/banned is deserving of a ban.

Some of the more stubborn offenders would probably re-register of course...but at least we'd get rid of

some of the nuisances.

If only we had an automatic electric cattle prod.:w00t::w00t::w00t:

• Like 3

It also helps to remember that rules can only go so far in correcting peoples' behavior.  Therefore a new rule must be put into place after a much thorough consideration. Otherwise a day may come when we can't keep track of all the rules  and drown in them.  

The only discipline that works perfectly is the self-discipline.

There -- my 2 cents.  

Caution: Please don't take me, my posts or my comments too seriouslyThank you.

Edited by aum

• Administrator
  • Solution

@aum the issue it's not about rules because it's all there in the guidelines, yet no one bother to read it in order to know how to contribute in this site. Furthermore, we have divided the guideline to all forums section because not all members using all the forums. Everyone has his own interest.  Soon we will release a new page that will show all templates guideline in order to find them in one place, and they will be more organized in order to help members to read them. 

@vissha I have them increased because I thought they won't be use in wrong place, and you are welcome. 

28 minutes ago, Matt said:

@aum the issue it's not about rules because it's all there in the guidelines, yet no one bother to read it in order to know how to contribute in this site. Furthermore, we have divided the guideline to all forums section because not all members using all the forums. Everyone has his own interest.  Soon we will release a new page that will show all templates guideline in order to find them in one place, and they will be more organized in order to help members to read them. ...

Yeah, that's what I am (was) saying:

Who reads guidelines?  Who has time to read guidelines that are larger than about 10 lines or a small paragraph or two?

Also no matter what the "governments" do there will be criminals. 

It's a matter of balance.  Always was, is, and will be.

BTW, my comments are of a general nature, not specific to this forum;  but you already know this -- i reckon.

Keep the forum humming  @Matt

• Like 3

• vissha changed the title to [Actioned]When do these reaction spammers or abusers be stopped?