Recommend a good ADSL wireless modem router

RadioActive

I think my router (3Com OfficeConnect ADSL Wireless 54Mbps 11g) is starting to give out, so I thought I'd start doing my homework in case I need to buy a new one soon.

Here's what I'm looking for:

1) Stability, I REALLY have no tolerance for rebooting the router every hour so I'm looking for something problem free (at least for the most part).

2) Price, nothing too expensive (definitely below $100).

3) Wireless support with a decent range (not sure about the G vs N thing though).

4) Wired Ports, I need 4 because my networks have both wired and wireless connected.

5) Firewall, I need it to have a proper/decent firewall (none of that "Ethernet modem" crap).

So, I'm looking for suggestions/recommendations (specific models not general brand names pls.)

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 6
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think my router (3Com OfficeConnect ADSL Wireless 54Mbps 11g) is starting to give out, so I thought I'd start doing my homework in case I need to buy a new one soon.

Here's what I'm looking for:

1) Stability, I REALLY have no tolerance for rebooting the router every hour so I'm looking for something problem free (at least for the most part).

2) Price, nothing too expensive (definitely below $100).

3) Wireless support with a decent range (not sure about the G vs N thing though).

4) Wired Ports, I need 4 because my networks have both wired and wireless connected.

5) Firewall, I need it to have a proper/decent firewall (none of that "Ethernet modem" crap).

So, I'm looking for suggestions/recommendations (specific models not general brand names pls.)

Thanks in advance.

I got BUFFALO WHR-HP-G54 flashed it with Tomato firmware with a click of a button. Very stable, great range and signal.

I renamed the topic to help with the confusion. The router suggested by v4npro is good but Lohengrin is looking for an ADSL modem with built in router and wireless. The easy way to differentiate is to look for the type of WAN port. ADSL modem/routers have an RJ-11 WAN port for the phone line, normal wireless routers have RJ-45 WAN port.

Most importantly: Tomato firmware FTW! :D

You could do what most of us do, buy a good dedicated ADSL modem/router with 1 LAN port and operate it in bridge mode to connect to a secondary wireless router that you can flash with either Tomato or DD-WRT firmware. You won't be sorry.

I renamed the topic to help with the confusion

np :D

The router suggested by v4npro is good but Lohengrin is looking for an ADSL modem with built in router and wireless

yeah, I tend to forget that not everybody uses the same type of connection :)

Most importantly: Tomato firmware FTW! :D

Heard about it but dunno much, been using official firmware, last time I used a hacked/unofficial firmware (on an old linksys) it screwed it bad (not instantly, but still).

You could do what most of us do, buy a good dedicated ADSL modem/router with 1 LAN port and operate it in bridge mode to connect to a secondary wireless router that you can flash with either Tomato or DD-WRT firmware. You won't be sorry.

I like to keep things simple, I like my current setup and don't wanna change it, it's just as I mentioned earlier that my current router might be giving out so I'm just looking for a replacement.

I'll check the products you mentioned and see if I can find them here.

Note: Buffalo doesn't exist where I come from (no pun intended), most common brands here are NetGear, Linksys, D-Link, TP-Link, SMC, 3Com and probably a couple others.

I don't know if this helps but i use a D-link wireless modem router. D-Link DSL-2640T Wireless ADSL2+ Router to be exact. Been using it for a few years and never gave me problems. (Most of them comes from the ISP anyways)

Ain't sure about firewall but it sure is less than a 100, or even 70. If I remember it correctly, it costs about 50 bucks here. Still, my knowledge on modem routers is pretty limited.

I don't know if this helps but i use a D-link wireless modem router. D-Link DSL-2640T Wireless ADSL2+ Router to be exact. Been using it for a few years and never gave me problems. (Most of them comes from the ISP anyways)

Ain't sure about firewall but it sure is less than a 100, or even 70. If I remember it correctly, it costs about 50 bucks here. Still, my knowledge on modem routers is pretty limited.

Although D-Link is widely available here, it doesn't have a good reputation, I heard a lot of people complain that it hangs a lot and in some cases even fails completely after a while.

That being, thanks for your input nonetheless :)

• 3 weeks later...

i have D-Link router , Four ports , wifi g ,

After two years i'm having hell with it , alot of stoppages , Freezes , the wireless signal cant go to the next room , lol

i have bought a repeater (asus) which Makes the whole rooms under coverage

i want to buy a new one

and i heard cisco's router are Great , about 100 U$

Archived